Author Topic: United Crew Shames Woman Who Won’t Move Seats Due To Demand From Men  (Read 31330 times)

Offline biobook

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: United Crew Shames Woman Who Won’t Move Seats Due To Demand From Men
« Reply #300 on: August 17, 2023, 09:53:37 PM »
Could be, but I never lived in Israel so I don't know if there are generally accepted meanings to the various labels.
Labels change.  @mevinyavin will wake up soon and apprise us of the current usage.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 17, 2023, 10:05:46 PM »
I find it astonishing that anyone would request someone to switch seats for these reasons.  You've just spent an hour or two in the airport with a relative/friend/colleague waiting for the flight, and now you can't stand the idea of having to spend the next few hours without them right next to you?  You're adults! It's just a plane ride!  You're presumably going somewhere together, and can talk there.
You sure have me flummoxed.
You really can’t understand why someone would very much prefer to be squished for 10 hours  next to someone they know?

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 17, 2023, 10:09:16 PM »
I was on a flight a few weeks ago that me my wife and baby were all seated separate, and the FA on board helped move us together and the women who was moved came back mid flight 3 times to yell at me that I’m being selfish sitting next to my 2 year old on the plane.
Should have offered her to sit with and take care of your 2 year old :)

Online Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #303 on: August 17, 2023, 10:12:51 PM »
I agree with you, but a child is a special case. 
I find it astonishing that anyone would request someone to switch seats for these reasons.  You've just spent an hour or two in the airport with a relative/friend/colleague waiting for the flight, and now you can't stand the idea of having to spend the next few hours without them right next to you?  You're adults! It's just a plane ride!  You're presumably going somewhere together, and can talk there.

I'm especially surprised to hear this on DDF, where some people choose specific seats well in advance, and suddenly it's acceptable to disrupt their plan at the last minute for your convenience.
I'm On Beyond Neria, I agree with everyone you said in that case. 
a. I don't think you were the one asking women to change seats for you.
b. It's not realistic to disrupt another person because of something that might happen a couple times accidentally.
c. I thought BMI was meaningless. :-\
Pretty sure I'm on record as saying the covid vax was the only benefit of bmi.
People switching to set next to other adults in their travel party happens all. The. Time.

I'm also talking Beyond Neria, just using her name as an example. I drove by a church in Brooklyn today that had a black lives matter sign next to a stop Asian hate sign. I thought that the mostly likely victim of a hate crime in the city is a visible Jew, but then realized they probably didn't have room for a "don't sucker punch your slumlord disease carrier" sign.

Offline YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 17, 2023, 10:17:43 PM »
Can I ask someone to switch seats with me because I don't want to sit near my kvetchy kids?  8)

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 17, 2023, 10:23:08 PM »
You sure have me flummoxed.
You really can’t understand why someone would very much prefer to be squished for 10 hours next to someone they know?
Prefer? Sure
But I wouldn't think to inconvenience other travelers because I made the reservations too late to choose adjacent seats.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #306 on: August 17, 2023, 10:25:01 PM »
Prefer? Sure
But I wouldn't think to inconvenience other travelers because I made the reservations too late to choose adjacent seats.
As long as it's of equal or greater value and they're not sitting next to someone, why is it an inconvenience?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2023, 10:29:38 PM »
Pretty sure I'm on record as saying the covid vax was the only benefit of bmi.

But also more recently, I think, something about doctors misusing concept of BMI.
People switching to set next to other adults in their travel party happens all. The. Time.

Okay, there are two possibilities:

1. It doesn't happen on the flights I fly on.
2. I'm clueless about what's going on around me.

I admit that I don't know which of these is true.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2023, 10:34:15 PM »
As long as it's of equal or greater value and they're not sitting next to someone, why is it an inconvenience?
Equal or greater value is in the mind of the passenger.  If I've chosen my seat a few weeks ago, and decided that I wanted exactly this seat, and I'm already sitting down and put my suitcase up there, and my bag down there, and my stuff in the pocket... Then this is the best possible seat for me.  To be worth moving, it would have to be in first class.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2023, 10:36:31 PM »
Equal or greater value is in the mind of the passenger.  If I've chosen my seat a few weeks ago, and decided that I wanted exactly this seat, and I'm already sitting down and put my suitcase up there, and my bag down there, and my stuff in the pocket... Then this is the best possible seat for me.  To be worth moving, it would have to be in first class.
I agree that once your situated, it's different. To have the best odds, it has to be before they start putting their things away. At that point, most people couldn't care less if they're in 15C or 15D.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2023, 10:50:45 PM »
I agree that once your situated, it's different. To have the best odds, it has to be before they start putting their things away. At that point, most people couldn't care less if they're in 15C or 15D.
Even better would be to walk around the waiting area with a big sign, like the limo drivers hold up, but instead of someone's name it would have "Are you in seat 15C?" and then you could make the switch before they even get on the plane.

Online dasmo801

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 17, 2023, 10:51:18 PM »
So then you smile and say "I'm sorry, I chose this seat and I'm going to stay here" and move on. I'm really not getting the part where it becomes "how dare he have the nerve to think of asking me".

Online Yehuda57

• View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #312 on: August 17, 2023, 10:54:56 PM »

You don't realize how much more thought into planning you put in than the average person. I mean, go read your colonoscopy prep post, it's a thing of beauty, but not at all relatable to most people. The average passenger doesn't care where they sit in the slightest. The concept of looking at seat guru is entirely foreign to most people.

It's simply not an inconvenience. If someone is situated, and moving means more than just grabbing a novel and purse, then I have seen people refuse, and it is totally understandable. That's why if you aren't able to book seats together and you plan on asking someone to switch, it is important to board as early as possible to ask people before they get settled.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 17, 2023, 10:57:47 PM »
So then you smile and say "I'm sorry, I chose this seat and I'm going to stay here" and move on. I'm really not getting the part where it becomes "how dare he have the nerve to think of asking me".
Do you see a difference between these two:

Can you move so I can sit near my wife
Can you move because I don't want you to sit near me

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 17, 2023, 11:14:08 PM »
I mean, go read your colonoscopy prep post, it's a thing of beauty, but not at all relatable to most people.
I bet Mendy Pellin could relate.  He has irritable bowel syndrome.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2023, 11:17:24 PM »
Unless something bad g-d forbid happens to a religious person, the blogs will continue to put us down, call us out and be nasty.
Haha
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline S209

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2023, 11:47:12 PM »
And my use of "constraining" and "telling" was with respect to the other report in that broadcast where women were told that they couldn't get on a certain bus, or had to sit in the back of the bus.
Are there similar buses for women where men are told they can’t get on the bus? Is that any better or worse? Are those reported on equally?
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2023, 11:56:26 PM »
I don't Chap... What the point is of saying that she really believes in her story? That only amplifies the theory that she is full of hate!

By now we all know that all he did was ask nicely if she would change seats. No threats, no demands etc. So why in earth would she believe that she was targeted? And then continue to make a Matzev.. Only because of her biased thinking and hate.

Unless you wanna say that she's just delusional.. Then she should look for a different job..
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline biobook

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2023, 11:59:33 PM »
Are there similar buses for women where men are told they can’t get on the bus? Is that any better or worse? Are those reported on equally?
I don't have first-hand experience, I really don't know.  The TV segment seemed to be showing women trying to get on a city bus who were told it's full of men going to yeshiva, they need to wait for the next bus.

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 18, 2023, 12:03:52 AM »
Any expectation that United will release any more statements on this after looking in to it?