Author Topic: Priceline "Shtick"  (Read 1120 times)

Offline yitzyul

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 70
    • View Profile
Priceline "Shtick"
« on: August 29, 2023, 01:41:13 PM »
Hardly ever book with Pricline so not sure if this is new
Booked 2 reg ticket (not Basic), allows me to choose the standard no cost seats, at check out page I noticed they add on a "convenience fee" of $14 for seat reservation, which is non refundable in the 24 hours. It doesn't warn you or tell you about this "fee" until the checkout page under one of the line items. Sure enough when I tried without choosing a seat it doesn't charge you this convenience fee, and just go to the airline and pick your reg standard no cost seat.  (there isnt even an option to "skip seat selection" etc making you think that you need to pick a seat (which shows as $0 cost), you need to click continue without touching a seat")
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 01:45:20 PM by yitzyul »

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Priceline "Shtick"
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 01:54:08 PM »
Hardly ever book with Pricline so not sure if this is new
Booked 2 reg ticket (not Basic), allows me to choose the standard no cost seats, at check out page I noticed they add on a "convenience fee" of $14 for seat reservation, which is non refundable in the 24 hours. It doesn't warn you or tell you about this "fee" until the checkout page under one of the line items. Sure enough when I tried without choosing a seat it doesn't charge you this convenience fee, and just go to the airline and pick your reg standard no cost seat.  (there isnt even an option to "skip seat selection" etc making you think that you need to pick a seat (which shows as $0 cost), you need to click continue without touching a seat")
Don’t really get the “shtick” here.
Priceline is charging you a convenience fee for saving you the need to go to the airline’s website. You can obviously do it yourself for free. Some shadier websites offer to request KSMLs for a fee too. It’s just surprising that Priceline goes that down that road.

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 01:57:19 PM »
Priceline is charging you a convenience fee for saving you the need to go to the airline’s website. You can obviously do it yourself for free. Some shadier websites offer to request KSMLs for a fee too. It’s just surprising that Priceline goes that down that road.
Doesn't show that charge when choosing the seat. Shows up as $0 then only shows up at check out when most people don't realize what that charge is (I thought was just broken down the tax etc), so yes that is "shtick".  And yes going down that road is "shtick"
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 03:02:45 PM by yitzyul »

Offline Moshe Green

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 02:55:08 PM »
Some shadier websites offer to request KSMLs for a fee too.
You can obviously do it yourself for free.
1 Shtick + 1 Shtick = 2 Shticks, not 0 Shticks

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 02:57:24 PM »
Doenst show that charge when choosing the seat. Shows up as $0 then only shos up at check out when most people don't realize what that charge is (I thought was just broken down the tax etc), so yes that is "shtick".  And yes going down that road is "shtick"
The seat cost is zero, but they charge money. for example, if you would choose an exit row, the seat cost would be $X plus the Priceline fee for purchasing through them.

Offline baron

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2023, 03:16:11 PM »

Pretty clear on seat selection page.

Offline baron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 03:32:34 PM »
Yes no shtick here. “How to not needlessly pay extra when booking with Priceline” is better

Offline yitzyul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 03:38:24 PM »
Yes no shtick here. “How to not needlessly pay extra when booking with Priceline” is better
You are correct in that I didnt notice that part as it is stated clearly . I just looked at this when selecting the seat. Regardless it is still very low of them to charge an "extra fee" for doing nothing

Offline baron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 03:46:55 PM »
Regardless it is still very low of them to charge an "extra fee" for doing nothing
Agreed thats what @yochai meant
It’s just surprising that Priceline goes that down that road.