Author Topic: Delta Flight Diverts Due To “Diarrhea All Over Aircraft”  (Read 605 times)

Offline AMH

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Platinum,Star Alliance Gold, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's circle, Europcar privilege Elite, Marriot Gold
Delta Flight Diverts Due To “Diarrhea All Over Aircraft”
« on: September 04, 2023, 09:42:35 AM »
https://onemileatatime.com/news/delta-flight-diverts-diarrhea/

My gosh, I feel bad for just about everyone involved here…

In this post:

Barcelona-bound Delta A350 returns to Atlanta
This flight continued its journey several hours later
Bottom line
Barcelona-bound Delta A350 returns to Atlanta
This incident happened on Friday, September 1, 2023, and involves Delta Air Lines flight DL194 from Atlanta (ATL) to Barcelona (BCN). The flight was operated by a six-year-old Airbus A350-900 with the registration code N570DZ.

The flight took off at 8:47PM, just over two hours after its scheduled 6:40PM departure. For nearly an hour, the aircraft flew northeast, over Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia. However, at that point the plane turned around and flew back to Atlanta, where it landed at 10:39PM.

The diversion of DL194 from Atlanta to Barcelona
Why would the plane return to Atlanta, for such a costly diversion? Well, ummm, I’ll let the FAA flight strip speak for itself:

“Divert to ATL — passenger diarrhea all over aircraft — biohazard”

And that’s not a typo. Based on recorded air traffic control audio, you can hear one of the pilots explaining the reason for the diversion to the air traffic controller:

“It’s just a biohazard issue, we had a passenger who had diarrhea all the way through the airplane.”

A Delta Airlines Airbus A350 turned around back to Atlanta Friday night because of diarrhea throughout the airplane from a passenger and it’s a biohazard. 👀🥴

The FAA flight strip for DL194 was posted to Reddit (📷xStang05x) Also a passenger posted here asking why her son’s… pic.twitter.com/VWbkB47wF1

— Thenewarea51 (@thenewarea51) September 3, 2023
Obviously I feel horribly for everyone involved here. I imagine this wasn’t pleasant for passengers and crew, and I also feel sorry for the passenger who caused this, since clearly they were having some issues. This wasn’t a case of some aggressive passenger not cooperating with the crew and causing a diversion.

This flight continued its journey several hours later
Once in Atlanta, the focus was obviously on cleaning the aircraft to solve the “biohazard” situation. On top of that, Delta had to find a new crew, since the crew that operated the initial flight timed out.

Fortunately for passengers, the flight didn’t end up getting canceled. As mentioned above, the aircraft arrived back in Atlanta at 10:39PM, and ended up departing just over five hours later, at 2:57AM.

After an 8hr13min flight, the plane then ended up landing in Barcelona at 5:10PM, eight hours after the scheduled 9:10AM arrival. As you’d expect, the return flight, DL195, was delayed significantly as well. It was scheduled to depart from Barcelona to Atlanta at 11:25AM, but only departed at 7:23PM, arriving at 10:14PM.

The flight ended up arriving eight hours behind schedule
Bottom line
A Delta Airbus A350 had to return to Atlanta after a passenger apparently had a very bad case of diarrhea. The flight landed back in Atlanta after about two hours. After five hours cleaning the cabin and finding a new crew, the aircraft once again took off to Barcelona, where it arrived eight hours behind schedule.

What a crappy situation…
👆 אהבת חינם

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Flight Diverts Due To “Diarrhea All Over Aircraft”
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 09:49:55 AM »
Pax are lucky it was a flight out of a hub so they were able to quickly find a crew/aircraft, if it was BCN-ATL the delay would've likely been much longer
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Delta Flight Diverts Due To “Diarrhea All Over Aircraft”
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 11:50:53 AM »
Poo poo

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile