Author Topic: Chase SouthWest Closed Too Early?  (Read 6362 times)

Offline DynamoDave

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Chase SouthWest Closed Too Early?
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Hello,

I opened the chase southwest card and got the 50k miles.  It was an awesome deal.  Though since I didn't need the card and only really opened to get the miles, I closed the card shortly it was opened and got the miles.  Though now I see on my account that chase is refunding me the $69 annual fee because I closed the card so quickly after I opened it.

Did I make a mistake by closing it too early?  Should I reopen the card and let them keep their $69 and close it at the end of the  year?  My concern is that next time I apply for a card, I don't want chase to look at my accounts and think, "oh this guy just opens the cards for the bonuses and closes them too fast".

Any suggestions?  This has been concerning me.

Thanx...

Dave

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Chase SouthWest Closed Too Early?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
Hello,

I opened the chase southwest card and got the 50k miles.  It was an awesome deal.  Though since I didn't need the card and only really opened to get the miles, I closed the card shortly it was opened and got the miles.  Though now I see on my account that chase is refunding me the $69 annual fee because I closed the card so quickly after I opened it.

Did I make a mistake by closing it too early?  Should I reopen the card and let them keep their $69 and close it at the end of the  year?  My concern is that next time I apply for a card, I don't want chase to look at my accounts and think, "oh this guy just opens the cards for the bonuses and closes them too fast".

Any suggestions?  This has been concerning me.

Thanx...

Dave

Welcome back to the forums!

Chase typically refunds annual fees for cards closed within 30 days.

You're doing fine, IMHO if Chase will think you're abusing the system they'll think so regardless of the annual fee. My suggestion is keep a chase line active, may I suggest the Sapphire Preferred, and use it for regular spending. You'll earn good points and when Chase looks at all of your accounts they'll see you give them business.

If you're not overly abusing applications <6 spread throughout a year, you'll fly well below the radar.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline DynamoDave

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »
Asher,

Thanx for the info.  I will wait a few months before looking at another chase card to open so as not to abuse their point system.

Yes I do have an open line of credit which I use regularly for specific purchases using the Chase Freedom, Sapphire and Amazon cards.  The freedom card has been open for many years.  I guess I will shrug off this early closing and move on.  I think I acted to hastily in closing it, though I just didn't want another unused card with a fee on my head.  Time to move on.  Thanx for the opinion.

Dave

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
Asher,

Thanx for the info.  I will wait a few months before looking at another chase card to open so as not to abuse their point system.

Yes I do have an open line of credit which I use regularly for specific purchases using the Chase Freedom, Sapphire and Amazon cards.  The freedom card has been open for many years.  I guess I will shrug off this early closing and move on.  I think I acted to hastily in closing it, though I just didn't want another unused card with a fee on my head.  Time to move on.  Thanx for the opinion.

Dave

You can probably 2/3BM and still fly well under the radar, just not 6+ times a year. Enjoy the game :)

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
I'm actually about to call in to close that card. You called the regular customer service number? What reason did you give for closing it? Did they give you any trouble?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline DynamoDave

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
I called the reg cust service number to close the card.  I told them I wasn't using the card anymore.  They pushed back a bit and said it was a great card to keep open and tried to persuade me to keep it open.  I think I should have kept it open longer and closer to the 1 year anniversary.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
I'm actually about to call in to close that card. You called the regular customer service number? What reason did you give for closing it? Did they give you any trouble?

You don't really need to defend yourself, if you ask to close it they have to honor your request.

I called the reg cust service number to close the card.  I told them I wasn't using the card anymore.  They pushed back a bit and said it was a great card to keep open and tried to persuade me to keep it open.  I think I should have kept it open longer and closer to the 1 year anniversary.

You didn't really lose much by closing it, as your SP card earn points that can convert to SW miles. The only substantial things you lost is that you can't redeem your SW miles for giftcards (gotta be a SW CC cardholder for that), and your spend points from the SW card qualify toward A-list status and 110k companion pass.

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 10:22:23 PM »
You don't really need to defend yourself, if you ask to close it they have to honor your request.

You didn't really lose much by closing it, as your SP card earn points that can convert to SW miles. The only substantial things you lost is that you can't redeem your SW miles for giftcards (gotta be a SW CC cardholder for that), and your spend points from the SW card qualify toward A-list status and 110k companion pass.
u sure about that

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 10:25:11 PM »
Yes.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:27:44 PM »
Yes.
i thought only for CP but not for status

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
u sure about that

For Alist:

All Rapid Rewards base points earned from flying on Southwest Airlines will count as Tier Qualifying Points.  Members who have a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase will earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Points for every $10,000 in credit card spend, up to 15,000 points per year.  Tier Qualifying points are not redeemable for travel on Southwest Airlines or through the "More Rewards" site.

For SW CP

Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights, points issued on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners.

(Source)

Yes.

Not 1:1 (anymore?)

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
ok but its not 1:1 which is what i though you were saying

Offline YG

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »
Chase typically refunds annual fees for cards closed within 30 days.

So if a card was kept open till after the first billing cycle closed - more than 30 days  (to buy GCs) before closing, is the entire yearly fee (that had to be paid off before the card could be closed) lost?

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
ok but its not 1:1 which is what i though you were saying

It is for CP, I looked at the T&C and though it was for everything else, my bad.

Not just that, but it seems my 2x 50k signup bonuses didn't earn me any tier points at all... Though A-list doesn't seem that hot anyway.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Doesn't really matter.
A-List status gets you jack diddly squat.  A more worthless and meaningless status does not exist.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 10:43:22 PM »
Doesn't really matter.
A-List status gets you jack diddly squat.  A more worthless and meaningless status does not exist.
true

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:14 PM »
Doesn't really matter.

You get free WiFi...

Back on topic:

Anyone come up with an easy/cheap way to earn 10k CP qualifying points?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
You get free WiFi...
Not with regular A-List status.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:12 PM »
Not with regular A-List status.

So you're saying you consider A-list Preferred worth something? I guess it isn't absolutely worthless, but considering the qualifications, it's nothing to write home about IMHO.

Offline Red

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 06:58:13 AM »
So if a card was kept open till after the first billing cycle closed - more than 30 days  (to buy GCs) before closing, is the entire yearly fee (that had to be paid off before the card could be closed) lost?

Usually you have 30 days from when you are billed the annual fee (or as one rep. told me you have 60 days from when the account is opened) to cancel and not have to pay the fee.