Author Topic: Simchas Torah War - Flights Discussion Thread  (Read 78735 times)

Offline B.D.Da'ehu

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 126
    • View Profile
Re: Simchas Torah War - Flights Discussion Thread
« Reply #700 on: January 11, 2024, 11:47:55 AM »
I had a flight from TLV on March 3 with the first leg on Brussels, they just called me that it's cancelled and offered to rebook on UA direct. I declined and booked on LH since I doubt UA will restart by then and LH seems to be flying and will hopefully add flights as well to avoid overnight layover on the outbound.

Odd how only some airlines from the Lufthansa group are flying and others are cancelling out to March already.

Offline tavster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 65
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY TP
« Reply #701 on: January 11, 2024, 01:28:33 PM »
Haaretz - Prices drop as international airlines resume flights to Israel

The recent decision by several major international airlines to resume flights to Israel has led to a substantial lowering in the price of flight tickets for January, as compared to the previous month.

From October 7 until January, nearly all international airlines canceled their operations in Israel following the outbreak of the war in Gaza, leaving El Al as the only option for flying to or from most international destinations.

In recent weeks, several major airlines resumed service to Israel. The Lufthansa Group, which includes Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian Airlines, resumed partial service on Tuesday. The Romanian airline Tarom resumed service last week, and Greece's Aegean Airlines did so on Thursday. Air France announced that it will resume service on January 24, though only three flights a week, compared to two a day in the period before the start of the war.

Price checks on the Skyscanner website and the websites of the various airlines show that ticket prices for late January are significantly lower than they were in December.

For instance, an El Al flight to Paris in late December cost $887, while the same flight on Air France in late January will cost $313 – a 63 percent drop. And while in December El Al was selling late-January tickets to Paris for $640, its lowest fare for the same flight is now $540.

This isn't entirely due to the resumption of competition; late December prices are always higher because they fall between Christmas and New Year's Day. Nevertheless, it's also due to the fact that Air France is offering especially low prices in the hopes of winning back customers.

Fares to Berlin have also dropped significantly. In January, Lufthansa is offering tickets for $347, with El Al now offering a comparable fare, $349. But in December, the lowest fare El Al offered for January flights to Berlin was $470.

The same is true for flights to Athens. In December, an El Al ticket cost $420. In January, with Aegean providing competition, the lowest fare on offer by an Israeli company is Israir's $175.

The price drop since December has been dramatic. However, it has only affected destinations on which competition has resumed, like Berlin, Paris and Athens. Fares to destinations where there is still no competition, like the United States, remain unchanged.

In December, an El Al ticket to New York cost $1,589. In January, the same El Al flight will cost $1,629. That's because the two American airlines, Delta and United, have yet to announce any plans to resume flights to Israel.

"Prices are starting to be more user-friendly," said Shirley Cohen Orkaby, vice president for sales and marketing at the tourism company Eshet Tours. "Foreign airlines are gradually returning to the market, and with them came lower prices. Demand is also starting to rise, and we're starting to see a return of tourism. Nevertheless, the numbers are still lower than normal."

"This return of customers has two main characteristics – more last-minute orders, and a rise in the importance of the option of canceling for any reason," she added. "Consequently, all the airlines and tourism companies have made cancelation terms more flexible.

"For New York, in contrast, prices are still high, because it hasn't been opened to competition, and demand is very high compared to the low supply. At the moment, only El Al is flying there. With the cancelation of the visa requirement and its friendly attitude toward Israel, this destination has become even more popular. We expect the U.S. will continue to be more in demand than in previous years throughout 2024."

From October 7 until January, El Al was almost the only option for flying to or from Israel. Consequently, its market share rose from the usual range of 21 to 23 percent to over 80 percent.

Though the airline garnered praise for continuing to fly despite the war when most foreign airlines canceled, its soaring prices have angered customers. Asked about this, El Al says its average prices haven't risen, but the gap between its lowest and highest fares has shrunk. In other words, its lowest price to any destination is higher, while its highest price is lower.

The airline also says that it is offering attractive fares for people who book now for February and March.

Offline bp27

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 11, 2024, 01:51:31 PM »
I had a flight from TLV on March 3 with the first leg on Brussels, they just called me that it's cancelled and offered to rebook on UA direct. I declined and booked on LH since I doubt UA will restart by then and LH seems to be flying and will hopefully add flights as well to avoid overnight layover on the outbound.

Odd how only some airlines from the Lufthansa group are flying and others are cancelling out to March already.
I would have thought after the Air France announcement, that Brussels would be closer to resuming service.

Obviously they were left out initially, as the flight to and from Brussels in longer than the other LH group destinations (Frankfurt, Zurich, Vienna, Munich).

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY SL
« Reply #703 on: January 14, 2024, 08:05:03 AM »
AA cancelled flights up to April 5! had a flight for April 5 TLV-JFK just got an email saying I should call to rebook. next bookable flight JFK-TLV: April 6 2024

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 14, 2024, 08:54:27 AM »
Haaretz - Prices drop as international airlines resume flights to Israel

The recent decision by several major international airlines to resume flights to Israel has led to a substantial lowering in the price of flight tickets for January, as compared to the previous month.

From October 7 until January, nearly all international airlines canceled their operations in Israel following the outbreak of the war in Gaza, leaving El Al as the only option for flying to or from most international destinations.

In recent weeks, several major airlines resumed service to Israel. The Lufthansa Group, which includes Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian Airlines, resumed partial service on Tuesday. The Romanian airline Tarom resumed service last week, and Greece's Aegean Airlines did so on Thursday. Air France announced that it will resume service on January 24, though only three flights a week, compared to two a day in the period before the start of the war.

Price checks on the Skyscanner website and the websites of the various airlines show that ticket prices for late January are significantly lower than they were in December.

For instance, an El Al flight to Paris in late December cost $887, while the same flight on Air France in late January will cost $313 – a 63 percent drop. And while in December El Al was selling late-January tickets to Paris for $640, its lowest fare for the same flight is now $540.

This isn't entirely due to the resumption of competition; late December prices are always higher because they fall between Christmas and New Year's Day. Nevertheless, it's also due to the fact that Air France is offering especially low prices in the hopes of winning back customers.

Fares to Berlin have also dropped significantly. In January, Lufthansa is offering tickets for $347, with El Al now offering a comparable fare, $349. But in December, the lowest fare El Al offered for January flights to Berlin was $470.

The same is true for flights to Athens. In December, an El Al ticket cost $420. In January, with Aegean providing competition, the lowest fare on offer by an Israeli company is Israir's $175.

The price drop since December has been dramatic. However, it has only affected destinations on which competition has resumed, like Berlin, Paris and Athens. Fares to destinations where there is still no competition, like the United States, remain unchanged.

In December, an El Al ticket to New York cost $1,589. In January, the same El Al flight will cost $1,629. That's because the two American airlines, Delta and United, have yet to announce any plans to resume flights to Israel.

"Prices are starting to be more user-friendly," said Shirley Cohen Orkaby, vice president for sales and marketing at the tourism company Eshet Tours. "Foreign airlines are gradually returning to the market, and with them came lower prices. Demand is also starting to rise, and we're starting to see a return of tourism. Nevertheless, the numbers are still lower than normal."

"This return of customers has two main characteristics – more last-minute orders, and a rise in the importance of the option of canceling for any reason," she added. "Consequently, all the airlines and tourism companies have made cancelation terms more flexible.

"For New York, in contrast, prices are still high, because it hasn't been opened to competition, and demand is very high compared to the low supply. At the moment, only El Al is flying there. With the cancelation of the visa requirement and its friendly attitude toward Israel, this destination has become even more popular. We expect the U.S. will continue to be more in demand than in previous years throughout 2024."

From October 7 until January, El Al was almost the only option for flying to or from Israel. Consequently, its market share rose from the usual range of 21 to 23 percent to over 80 percent.

Though the airline garnered praise for continuing to fly despite the war when most foreign airlines canceled, its soaring prices have angered customers. Asked about this, El Al says its average prices haven't risen, but the gap between its lowest and highest fares has shrunk. In other words, its lowest price to any destination is higher, while its highest price is lower.

The airline also says that it is offering attractive fares for people who book now for February and March.

Overall true, but their numbers are by far exaggerated and aren’t taking into consideration that December travel is typically more expensive than January anyway.

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 14, 2024, 08:55:17 AM »
AA cancelled flights up to April 5! had a flight for April 5 TLV-JFK just got an email saying I should call to rebook. next bookable flight JFK-TLV: April 6 2024
They offered rerouting with Iberia or BA (If they will fly...)
I have a RT ticket return with BA, Is it possible just to cancel and refund the outbound flight and keep the return flight? Agent told me would have to reroute or cancel entire itinerary, worth HUCA?

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 14, 2024, 08:59:53 AM »
They offered rerouting with Iberia or BA (If they will fly...)
I have a RT ticket return with BA, Is it possible just to cancel and refund the outbound flight and keep the return flight? Agent told me would have to reroute or cancel entire itinerary, worth HUCA?
When did you originally book this ticket? If before 10/07, it should be possible to rebook on LY

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 14, 2024, 09:05:07 AM »
When did you originally book this ticket? If before 10/07, it should be possible to rebook on LY
Nope, booked it in November

Offline mgarfin

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 15, 2024, 06:59:31 AM »
AA supervisor told me yesterday that AA has no flights for sale until June 1 and as of now that’s their new date. Flight I booked for 4/5 was cancelled

Offline shapsam

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 15, 2024, 07:37:28 AM »
AA supervisor told me yesterday that AA has no flights for sale until June 1 and as of now that’s their new date. Flight I booked for 4/5 was cancelled
For now they're still selling from 4/6 and on.

Offline Sam 77

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 15, 2024, 11:42:35 AM »
Just noticed on flightradar24 that planes coming and going to TLV are not taking the detour from the north of israel
How recent is this?

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 15, 2024, 11:59:57 AM »
Did Swiss cancel all ZRH-TLV?
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #713 on: January 15, 2024, 12:19:38 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 15, 2024, 01:00:53 PM »

Interesting, but they did cancel multiple dates

Offline theyankel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 15, 2024, 02:07:14 PM »
Did Swiss cancel all ZRH-TLV?
Interesting, but they did cancel multiple dates
i was on tlv-zrh-jfk booked with UA points and got email that my flight was changed.
i changed to the direct UA to ewr which is showing as scheduled

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #716 on: January 15, 2024, 02:18:49 PM »
i was on tlv-zrh-jfk booked with UA points and got email that my flight was changed.
i changed to the direct UA to ewr which is showing as scheduled
GL with that.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 15, 2024, 02:23:42 PM »
I had booked ewr-zrh-tlv 2/27 with ac, they rebooked it to ewr-zrh-ath-tlv. Not allowing me to change it online so I'll have to call.

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 16, 2024, 01:19:38 AM »
I had booked ewr-zrh-tlv 2/27 with ac, they rebooked it to ewr-zrh-ath-tlv. Not allowing me to change it online so I'll have to call.
Rebooked on Austrian and now that's cancelled too

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 16, 2024, 03:57:00 AM »
Which flights have been cancelled from the LH group?