Author Topic: Random Quotes  (Read 3884 times)

Online mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Random Quotes
« on: October 19, 2023, 11:07:10 AM »
I am dissatisfied with the current state of DDF - or the following tiny, completely irrelevant part of it: the random threads.
When, oh when will people stop putting QUOTES in the random PICTURE threads? This greatly disturbs my sense of order.
As such, I am hereby launching the random quotes thread. Mods, please spend sixty hours moving all the misplaced "pictures" into this thread. Users, please, for the sake of my blood pressure, please please post your quotes here instead of there.
(Please note that there is a thread for inspiring quotes. THIS thread is only for quotes that are not inspiring. Got it? (Please do not be bothered by the sound of three-hundred users clicking the ignore thread option)

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie."
-Miyamoto Musashi
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Random Quotes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2023, 11:59:11 AM »
Isn’t it ironic that Gaza is running out of everything except rockets
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Euclid

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2023, 12:06:23 PM »
Isn’t it ironic that Gaza is running out of everything except rockets
"Let them eat rockets"

Offline Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2023, 12:11:15 PM »

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2023, 12:16:10 PM »
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline sguitarist18

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 12:26:15 PM »
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer

Cunningham's Law?

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2023, 12:26:45 PM »
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline Dawie

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 12:37:49 PM »
Delicious

and there i was thinking that stuff only existed in Artscroll translations (Mishna and Daf Yomi)

Offline Euclid

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2023, 12:54:14 PM »

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2023, 04:21:11 AM »
This laptop is so BUSINESS it laid off 500 people and still gave itself a 6-figure bonus. - Woot listing for a refurb Latitude 7xxx. https://computers.woot.com/offers/dell-latitude-7400-14-fhd-business-laptop
(I would only say that myself about a 9xxx series Latitude, though.)
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »
Someone mentioned confirmation bias.

Excerpt from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (google it):
The Defence Professor stayed quiet a moment, and then said, “Mr Potter, what steps have you taken to investigate the Headmaster’s character?”

“Not many,” said Harry. He’d only recently realized…“Not nearly enough.”

“Then I will observe,” said Professor Quirrell, “that you do not find out all there is to know about a man by asking only his friends.”

Now it was Harry’s turn to walk a few steps in silence on the little used dirt path that led back to Hogwarts. He’d really been supposed to know better than that already. Confirmation bias was the technical term; it meant, among other things, that when you chose your information sources, there was a notable tendency to choose information sources that agreed with your current opinions.

Offline CountValentine

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips -1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DAOTYA, DDF Level 3, 5K Lounge
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 10:02:36 AM »
Someone mentioned confirmation bias.

Excerpt from Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (google it):
That is why you should not just watch CNN or Fox but both as an example.
Only on DDF does 24/6 mean 24/5/half/half
Dow Jones Industrial Average Tops 40000 for the First Time

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2023, 03:59:12 AM »

‘Lenny’ (which appeared in the January 1958 issue of Infinity Science Fiction) was written under unusual circumstances. I am, now and then, overawed into going on vacation against my peevishly expressed desires not to. My wife, who can be quite overawing considering she is such a sweet, soft-voiced thing, is quite insensitive to my explanations that vacations are very hard on my nervous system because I am restless in the absence of a typewriter.

She said calmly, ‘Take a typewriter with you.’

So I did, and for a couple of hours each morning I took it out on the lawn of the resort hotel (my wife sweetly and soft-voicedly insisting on the sovereign virtues of sun and fresh air – ugh!), placed it on a rickety table, weighted down various sheets of paper with stones and got to work.

Not a morning passed without interruptions by someone wanting to know what I was doing. I explained and when they finally understood that I was working, they regarded me with no attempt at concealing their hostility. The word went round that I was a dangerous radical attempting to undermine the Great American Vacation.
-Asimov, The Rest of the Robots, intro to one of the stories. I wonder what he would have thought of today's vacation environments, with high-speed internet and remote log-ins.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2023, 08:01:55 AM »
Terry Pratchet:
"Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you."
"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
“Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
“In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.”
“Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.”
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.”
“If you trust in yourself. . .and believe in your dreams. . .and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
“The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.”
“This book was written using 100% recycled words.”
“His philosophy was a mixture of three famous schools -- the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans -- and summed up all three of them in his famous phrase, 'You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink.”
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.”
“In fact, the mere act of opening the box will determine the state of the cat, although in this case there were three determinate states the cat could be in: these being Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.”
“Even if it's not your fault, it's your responsibility.”
“Whatever happens, they say afterwards, it must have been fate. People are always a little confused about this, as they are in the case of miracles. When someone is saved from certain death by a strange concatenation of circumstances, they say that's a miracle. But of course if someone is killed by a freak chain of events -- the oil spilled just there, the safety fence broken just there -- that must also be a miracle. Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous.”
“Many people could say things in a cutting way, Nanny knew. But Granny Weatherwax could listen in a cutting way. She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
“Coffee is a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to your older self.”
"Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show."

“No! Please! I'll tell you whatever you want to know!" the man yelled.
"Really?" said Vimes. "What's the orbital velocity of the moon?"
"What?"
"Oh, you'd like something simpler?”

“Death: "THERE ARE BETTER THINGS IN THE WORLD THAN ALCOHOL, ALBERT."
Albert: "Oh, yes, sir. But alcohol sort of compensates for not getting them.”

“Albert grunted. "Do you know what happens to lads who ask too many questions?"
Mort thought for a moment.
"No," he said eventually, "what?"
There was silence.
Then Albert straightened up and said, "Damned if I know. Probably they get answers, and serve 'em right.”

“There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?
And at the other end of the bar the world is full of the other type of person, who has a broken glass, or a glass that has been carelessly knocked over (usually by one of the people calling for a larger glass) or who had no glass at all, because he was at the back of the crowd and had failed to catch the barman's eye. ”

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2023, 12:37:41 PM »

An Onion headline, proving they have no idea what the TRUE purpose of Instacart is, as every DDFer knows - getting things for cheaper.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2023, 02:04:14 PM »

-XKCD (Randall Munroe)

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 AM »
From the intro of a review of a Thinkpad L15 Gen 4:

Do yourself a favor, skip this review, go check out our best business laptops page and treat yourself to something worthy of your time.

Online mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 08:37:56 AM »

Offline Randomex

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: MSPaint, Notepad, Firefox, VLC Media Player - Old sig quote was found in Reb Mendel and His Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2024, 12:18:04 PM »
"Unter di kapote klapt oich a hartz." (or: "There's a beating heart under a kapote, too.")
 - Rav Eliezer Gershon Friedenson

This was a saying of his to Bais Yaakov students in prewar Europe about marrying a ben Torah.
"Any word can mean anything! By giving words new meanings, ordinary English can become an exclusionary code!" -Cal.&Hob.

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2024, 01:34:20 AM »
A joke is like a frog. You can't dissect it.
אין עוד מלבדו