Author Topic: cancelled flight help  (Read 1938 times)

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
cancelled flight help
« on: January 25, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »
i had an ly flight tlv-hkg on tuesday arriving wed afternoon, connecting to a qf hkg-mel wed eve arriving thursday booked with aa miles. both in business. elal just left me a message that theyve cancelled the tues flight and put me on the mon instead. i cannot leave monday due to a prior engagement. so i would like to get on the wed elal flight which arrives thursday and connect to the thurs night qf flight. problem is, qf on thursday is only available in coach. so...
1. first of all, can i force elal to put me on the wed flight? (currently there arent any biz mileage seats avail, but paid is) and if so, can i do it through aa?
2. is there any way to get biz on the qantas flight? after all, its not qantas' issue that elal cancelled their flight. theyre not even in the same alliance. can aa push such a thing? should i give them hell to at least try or is it beating a dead horse?

anyone have experience? thanks

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: cancelled flight help
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:06:56 AM »
elal and tlv are a different world, but in a normal airport, you would normally be given the next flights as you wanted on full fare, on which you could collect miles.

problem here is that AA cannot create space by QF.

Does AA know, that you know that flights have been cancelled?

In other words (please other guys with experience help me out here), it maybe pays to go like nothing happened to the airport, where they will tell you the flight is cancelled, and hop, they put you on the next flight, with some compensation voucher + full fare + miles.

again, I wants someone to confirm that this works, especially since we are dealing with LY, TLV and a AA booking, and LY can say that it is not their ticket...

Also moish, please confirm whether AA knows that you are aware of the problem, meaning: did they add notes to the booking about you being aware...?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:10 AM »
no clue what aa knows, but theres no chance im gonna just show up at the airport on tues and let elal put me on the wed, since ill have no idea if i could get on a flight from hkg-mel

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 09:00:38 AM »
no clue what aa knows, but theres no chance im gonna just show up at the airport on tues and let elal put me on the wed, since ill have no idea if i could get on a flight from hkg-mel

there and then they should give you a ticket all the way. (its on one ticket, correct?)

So you didnt speak to AA about your flight being cancelled?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
if aa cannot create space on qf, who and how will i get a ticket from hkg-mel  then and there?

not yet

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
cancelled flight help
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
AA has a liason desk with wanted where they can make special requests. I have done it before with BA and LY insist on speaking to a supervisor!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:55:56 AM »
AA has a liason desk with wanted where they can make special requests. I have done it before with BA and LY insist on speaking to a supervisor!

not sure if this a good idea:

once aa is aware that you are aware of the cancellation, they might try with the liaison desk for a special request, which can be denied, and then you are done.

If they change your flights in the airport, you get full  fare ones.

Again, please someone with experience in such a situation step forward.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05:58 AM »
not sure if this a good idea:

once aa is aware that you are aware of the cancellation, they might try with the liaison desk for a special request, which can be denied, and then you are done.

If they change your flights in the airport, you get full  fare ones.

Moish is right, even if LY will give him a full fare on Wednesday for the flight they cancelled, but since it's an AA ticket they won't feel obligated to help him with the QF flight, which means he might have an issue in HKG with QF.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
Moish is right, even if LY will give him a full fare on Wednesday for the flight they cancelled, but since it's an AA ticket they won't feel obligated to help him with the QF flight, which means he might have an issue in HKG with QF.

Hence my suggestion (which I don't guarantee, and want some advise on that), what would happen if he shows up for the flight playing dumb.
They will tell him that the flight is cancelled, so he will normally get a ticket on the next possible flight in the same cabin on which he will earn miles.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
Hence my suggestion (which I don't guarantee, and want some advise on that), what would happen if he shows up for the flight playing dumb.
They will tell him that the flight is cancelled, so he will normally get a ticket on the next possible flight in the same cabin on which he will earn miles.

TLV to HKG, but why would LY hep him with the QF flight?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:17:06 AM »
Qantas is partners with El Al.  Call Qantas, call AA, and HUCA until you find a solution.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.