Author Topic: Rally in Washington 11/14/23  (Read 55740 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Rally in Washington 11/14/23
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2023, 10:35:50 AM »
It pains me when I see people quoting Rabbonim who are no longer available to paskin regarding current events. RYBs once commented that it is impossible to know what a Gadol would have held about current events today, as "even Yosef Hatzadik misunderstood Yaakov Avinu." Instead, he advised finding the biggest person you can who knows you and your situation and asking them for hadracha.
It is true that somewhere up the line, the Gadol will need to figure out what his Rebbe zatzal would have decided. But then he is using his own daas Torah, that by and large, he acquired from his Rebbe by being a proper talmid.
Ask your Rav, the one who knows you and is living today, what you should do, and leave the debate out of it. It just isn't worth hashing out the pros and cons here on the thread when the answer will be personal and relevant to you only.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Sammy82

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2023, 10:38:14 AM »
This is from Teaneck; I was there.

Originally, we were facing them and they were facing us. But at some point, a friend of mine had the brilliant idea that we should turn away and form a circle and put our backs to them. At that point we just started singing, and you could tell that it irked them to no end that we were not taking the bait.

It matters not what we say to them; it only matters what we say to the One above.
Were those on the other side locals? Or imported?

Offline justaregularguy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2023, 12:28:21 PM »
Bad link.
ooh youre right it became private for some reason. will try and get the right link.
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline justaregularguy

• View Profile
nothings impossible- the word itself says Im possible

Offline imayid2

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2023, 02:03:28 PM »
Iím heading there is a letter from Rav Ahron Feldman about the rally, has anyone seen it?

Offline Traveler718

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2023, 02:48:48 PM »
Iím heading there is a letter from Rav Ahron Feldman about the rally, has anyone seen it?

Hefkervelt posted the following, but I haven't seen anything from Rav Feldman in writing:

Rav Aaron Feldman shlita Rosh Yeshiva Ner Yisroel Baltimore spoke about attending the rally in Washington DC. He quoted the rabeinu Yona about התחברות לרשעים that it is a איסור דאורייתא and the long standing policy of Agudas Yisroel is not to join or partner any event demonstration or rally which the reform and other apikorsim  are in charge of. However being that the current situation is pikuach nefesh as Israel does not have anough weapons to sustain itself  it needs America to help, the agudah will not partner but agreed to passively  send out fliers to their members and mailing lists encouraging balei batim to go, as the more people who go to Washington it will impress upon congress the support that they could lose if they succumb to pressures from the moslems in the US but yeshiva bochurim should not go and agudah urges everyone to go to show the amount of people that are supporting the war against Hamas

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »
My observation of what i have seen from many rabbanim: They seem to approve of the rally but are not necessarily recommending individuals attend the rally. I understand that this can rub many the wrong way and you will therefore not see those statements spelled out the way I just did.

Which brings me to ask the question: Is there really any effective difference between 150k or 250k people at the rally?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2023, 03:40:17 PM »

Which brings me to ask the question: Is there really any effective difference between 150k or 250k people at the rally?
Of course.

250k is MLK march level large.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2023, 03:48:22 PM »
Of course.

250k is MLK march level large.

So you believe 150k doesn't reinforce as much support as 250K? Care to elaborate? As an aside, the size of US population back then was about half of what it is now.

Offline ushdadude

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2023, 03:48:29 PM »
My observation of what i have seen from many rabbanim: They seem to approve of the rally but are not necessarily recommending individuals attend the rally. I understand that this can rub many the wrong way and you will therefore not see those statements spelled out the way I just did.

I understand the urge to justify our absence by saying that there will be so many people there anyway, so my presence doesn't make a difference. It is important to know that any decision which would be unacceptable for the masses to make, is unacceptable for individuals to make.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2023, 03:52:36 PM »
So you believe 150k doesn't reinforce as much support as 250K? Care to elaborate? As an aside, the size of US population back then was about half of what it is now.
100k, 250k, 500k, 750k, 1mm+

All make huge impact differences.

The whole point of the march is to show support for the 3 issues the march is for.

And the more people there the more support it shows.

Those numbers are benchmarks that make impressions to the general public.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2023, 03:53:09 PM »

the masses have different hashkafik views than individuals. Not the hashkafa of having a rally. The hashkafa of the speakers, Kol Isha etc.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2023, 03:53:16 PM »
Did any organizations push to get goyim to show up? Run local ads in DC and Baltimore? Get churches on board? Seems many would want to come from those sects as well.

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 12, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »
100k, 250k, 500k, 750k, 1mm+

All make huge impact differences.

The whole point of the march is to show support for the 3 issues the march is for.

And the more people there the more support it shows.

Those numbers are benchmarks that make impressions to the general public.

My understanding is that the purpose of this rally is more about making the impression of public officials than on individuals. I still don't understand what 250k accomplishes that 150K doesn't. IMO, a rally over 100k is a massive statement that serves the intended purpose.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 12, 2023, 03:58:05 PM »
the masses have different hashkafik views than individuals. Not the hashkafa of having a rally. The hashkafa of the speakers, Kol Isha etc.

Do we know who the speakers are? Are they talking about hashkafa? Is Ishay Ribo kol Isha?
Even if the answer is yes, can you bring headphones? That's what I plan on doing

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 12, 2023, 03:58:52 PM »
My understanding is that the purpose of this rally is more about making the impression of public officials than on individuals. I still don't understand what 250k accomplishes that 150K doesn't. IMO, a rally over 100k is a massive statement that serves the intended purpose.

Apparently the agudah disagrees

Offline dealfinder11

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 12, 2023, 03:59:17 PM »

Apparently the agudah disagrees

Source?

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2023, 04:01:08 PM »
You don't work in marketing is my guess ;)

It's a march to make a statement of support. To me it's a moot discussion and the higher numbers serve obvious benefit. Talk to anyone in marketing what they think, is 150k better than 250k.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2023, 04:01:18 PM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 12, 2023, 04:02:21 PM »
I regret being sucked into this silly debate. I'm out