Author Topic: Charge friend's car rental on my CC? To Do or not to do?  (Read 6582 times)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Charge friend's car rental on my CC? To Do or not to do?
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 11:25:24 PM »
I still don't understand on which part you are disagreeing with me?
+1

Offline Saver2000

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 12:10:25 AM »
I still don't understand on which part you are disagreeing with me?

Please explain what this means

The car itself should be covered by CDW.

There's no risk for the car itself. 

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 12:25:49 AM »
CDW covers damage to the rental car, it doesn't protect you from any crazy lawsuits someone may dream up and decide to file against whomever they please.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 01:03:02 AM »
CDW covers damage to the rental car

Only if the name on the rental matches the name on the cc.
Dan, do you agree?

it doesn't protect you from any crazy lawsuits someone may dream up and decide to file against whomever they please.

Not sure what you mean. They can sue the renter but I don't understand how they could sue the cc holder just bec his cc was used. But I guess anything can happen.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 01:05:37 AM »
Only if the name on the rental matches the name on the cc.
Hence why I told Asher to add him as an AU as they won't rent to him otherwise.

Not sure what you mean. They can sue the renter but I don't understand how they could sue the cc holder just bec his cc was used. But I guess anything can happen.
Because people that sue tend to sue anybody and everybody they can.  I admit that that would be an extremely remote possibility, but the possibility is there.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 01:12:40 AM »
Regarding the rental agency, (in a scenario where insurance doesn't cover)  they will bill the cc on file for the damages... 
+1

So for this question
So as long as he pays me for the car rental up front and the card doesn't get used for anything else, there's no risk to me?
I would say that yes, there could be some risk to you. If something were to happen to the car & the CC decides not to cover it you're stuck with the bill.
B"H I don't have any personal experience with this but I've always heard that it's a bad idea to rely on the CC insurance because they often give you problems when it comes to paying up, they're always finding something in the fine print why you shouldn't be covered...

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:51 AM »

So for this questionI would say that yes, there could be some risk to you. If something were to happen to the car & the CC decides not to cover it you're stuck with the bill.
B"H I don't have any personal experience with this but I've always heard that it's a bad idea to rely on the CC insurance because they often give you problems when it comes to paying up, they're always finding something in the fine print why you shouldn't be covered...

Dan didn't say there's no risk:

But if he injures/kills someone c"v can I guarantee they won't find out the credit card belongs to you and try to sue you?  Nope.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Dan didn't say there's no risk:
But if he injures/kills someone c"v can I guarantee they won't find out the credit card belongs to you and try to sue you?  Nope.
I know. I'm saying that (based on what I've always heard) if something happens to the car you could get stuck with a bill for the damages.
(even if they do ultimately pay it you will (might?) get charged for the damages then haveto fight with the CC to cover it. -again, no first hand knowledge but so I've heard...)

I'm sure some CC's are much better than others when it comes to these things...

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 01:54:47 AM »
Hence why I told Asher to add him as an AU as they won't rent to him otherwise.

We're almost on the same page, we just gotta clear up one or two more things.

If AsherO adds john as an AU, and then john rents a car with that cc, it is as if its his own credit card. If there were to be damages,  the CDW would cover bec the name on the cc (john), matches the name on the rental.
Does everyone agree with that?

Because people that sue tend to sue anybody and everybody they can.  I admit that that would be an extremely remote possibility, but the possibility is there.
True, but it this case it would be very very far fetched. They - the rental agency and the other party - have no idea that AsherO is linked to this rental. They don't know that he is listed pn the same cc account as the renter.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 02:42:47 AM »
I'm saying that (based on what I've always heard) if something happens to the car you could get stuck with a bill for the damages.
(even if they do ultimately pay it you will (might?) get charged for the damages then haveto fight with the CC to cover it. -again, no first hand knowledge but so I've heard...)

You've heard this from the rental agents who make heavy commission off every insurance they sell
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 02:56:36 AM »
I would really not recommend using cc insurance. The minor savings you get is just not worth the hassle.
I have a friend that recently totalled a car in Israel, he did not use cc insurance per my advice, he just walked in to the agency that day with $690 - the excess fee, and game was over.
What would happen if he would have used cc insurance? He would of had to pay tens of thousands of dollars instantly (the rental would really rack up the price) and fight it out a couple of months with cc. My personal opinion. 

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:32 AM »
I would really not recommend using cc insurance. The minor savings you get is just not worth the hassle.
I have a friend that recently totalled a car in Israel, he did not use cc insurance per my advice, he just walked in to the agency that day with $690 - the excess fee, and game was over.
What would happen if he would have used cc insurance? He would of had to pay tens of thousands of dollars instantly (the rental would really rack up the price) and fight it out a couple of months with cc. My personal opinion.

First the story with your friend isn't very clear,  the way its written it doesn't make any sense.
Second of all, its a very big savings.  Do you know how much it cost per day for collision insurance?
Third of all, I have personally claimed money from a cc CDW and there was no problems.  It went smooth.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:57 AM »
That's $690 plus the CDW fee that you wouldn't pay with a WMC.

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:26 AM »
First the story with your friend isn't very clear,  the way its written it doesn't make any sense.
Second of all, its a very big savings.  Do you know how much it cost per day for collision insurance?
Third of all, I have personally claimed money from a cc CDW and there was no problems.  It went smooth.
1. What exactly dont you understand.
2. Its not such a big savings, as LI is till mandatory anyways.
3. How much did you claim, a couple hundred dollars? In this situation it would of been a claim of $30k, think that would of been a SMOOTH one to pull of? Not I.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 03:08:55 AM »
You've heard this from the rental agents who make heavy commission off every insurance they sell
No, (well, actually yes, but that's not who I'm relying on here),  I heard from friends who've had bad experiences.

For the record I (almost) never buy CDW when I rent. I'm not saying CC insurance never works, I'm saying I wouldn't consider it risk free and he needs to make sure he's comfortable with the T&C and reputation of this particular CC when it comes to paying.