Author Topic: Nicaragua TR  (Read 6535 times)

Offline PartTimeBackpacker

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Nicaragua TR
« on: September 03, 2023, 05:42:55 PM »
Hey all,
Long time lurker, especially when I am planning trips.
I haven't felt the need to create an account until i saw there are no TR's about Nicaragua.
I was there from the past Aug 20 to the 31st and thoroughly enjoyed my stay in the west of Nicaragua.

Here goes...
Day 1
Sunday Aug 20
There are no direct to the the International airport in Managua from NYC so I went with a stopover in FLL, flight from LGA was delayed by 2 hours but luckily the layover was long enough that I didn't miss the connection to Managua.

Arriving in MGA 2AM, I had to fill out a customs declaration form, handed it to the border patrol, paid 10USD for a tourism visa, had my backpack X-rayed again and headed to find a taxi.
Luckily another passenger on the flight was going to the same hotel (Airport X) and had ordered pickup through the hotel , the hotel rep (a 16 year old kid that couldn't speak a word of English) was able to order me a reliable taxi for 6USD for the 15 minute drive to the hotel which was in a gated community near the airport.

Paid around 45 USD for the night. The hotel was the only thing booked with points on the whole trip, as flights were around 50% more with points than paying with CC, and the areas that i was staying weren't available through points

Went to sleep and prepared  for my travel from Managua to Rivas to catch a ferry to Omeptpe Island the next day.

Please ask questions as there are a lot of details that are probably getting left out.

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Nicaragua TR
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 01:50:46 PM »
Day 2
Took a taxi to the market 15USD to get to the busses, most chicken busses start and end their routes in each city's main market.

There were many little gambling joints all over

after walking around for a bit I caught the next chicken bus to Rivas, a 2.5 hour drive on a old schools bus with no AC.

after making to Rivas, i took a taxi to San Jorge, 10 minutes and 6 bucks later, I arrived at the ferry terminal, paid 1$ to get into the terminal, set up the ATV rental for my stay on the island, bought a ferry ticket for 2$ and boarded the 1 hour ferry to Ometepe Island.

The ferry

Views from approaching Ometepe

After arriving in Moyogalpa and picking up my ATV, I started the 1 hr drive to where i was staying.

View on the airstrip of the island

It was after dark as I was approaching the cabin, and after getting lost on a side road and driving 10 minutes into the jungle on a wrong pathway, i finally made it to the cabin.

There are around 12 cabins/treehouses all private in middle of the jungle,the walls were made of screens and bamboo poles and there was no AC, hot water, or hot meals for the next 4 days (except for when i brought back a fresh tilapia and fried it at  the communal kitchen but that's for another day)
after getting to know the staff, eating some of the locally grown bananas and starfruit i started preparing for the next day

these are pictures i took off the Airbnb listing to show what the cabin looked like, as you can see the main walls are made of a screen however, the bamboo poles on top allow for insects/geckos/flying termites and of course butterflies to come and go more or less as they pleased, (although the geckos did keep the flying population in control, they left droppings all over the cabin since they hang out on the roof, at first i thought the netting around the bed was to protect from flies, i came to learn that the droppings were a far bigger issues than the flies).

Offline JMHO

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 01:56:52 PM »
Cool! Please continue your trip reports!
(Love the profile name btw)

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 05:02:59 PM »
Day 3
After waking up I witnessed howler monkeys, gorgeous parrots all around the cabin and a view that made it worth the 2 flights, 2.5 hour bus ride, 1 hour ferry and 1 hour ATV drive to the cabin!
This is the view from the front porch of Volcano Conception, CHECK THIS OUT!
It almost made it worth not having AC or a hot shower ;D

I hopped over to the communal kitchen, ate some more of the local fruit and made my way to Ojo de Agua.

My ride

Communal kitchen

Locally picked pickings

Ojo de Agua is a natural pool filled with crystal water from a spring that comes from volcano Maderas. The pools are surrounded  by towering trees, and you can watch monkeys and birds while relaxing in and around the pools.

Locally farmed Pitaya (had 3 of them, which turned out to be a bad idea... would still do it again tho!)

Local artist

After a while i drove to San Ramon waterfall for the hike, found out i wasn't dressed appropriately, so left with the intention of coming back the next day,
ended the day by driving the scenic route all the way to Punta Jesus Maria, which was supposed to offer stunning sunsets along with the views of the volcanoes.

View from El Pital (stop on the way)

On the way I decided to refuel, (aside from the main town Moyogalpa there are no proper gas stations on the island), so about a 5 minute drive from Punta Jesus Maria i stopped in a little village called Los Angeles and was directed by some of the locals to a house where i was told i can get gas.

They charged by the liter ;-)

Well, the ATV refused to start after that.. I missed sunset and ended up waiting on a side street for an hour for the ATV company to show up...
Got it replaced, and started the 1 hour journey back to the Airbnb in the dark.

Side Note:I wasn't planning on a TR and the pictures that I take are mainly for memories that remind me of a certain experience, however, I might have to get a better camera for future trips 8)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 05:08:25 PM by PartTimeBackpacker »

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 05:34:07 PM »
Cool! Please continue your trip reports!
(Love the profile name btw)
Appreciate it,
was surprised it was available!

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 08:23:52 AM »
Nice TR!
Lot's of similarities to my trip (I was sure I did a TR on that years ago)

Are you still there? I may have some reccomendations.
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 02:01:27 PM »
Nice TR!
Lot's of similarities to my trip (I was sure I did a TR on that years ago)

Are you still there? I may have some reccomendations.

I'm back in the states, and already planning the next trip.
Cuba in the winter and 2 months travel in South America next summer.
any recommendations?

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 02:53:25 PM »
any possibility the gas bought in soda bottles out of someone's garage messed up the engine and did the place give you any problems about it

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
any possibility the gas bought in soda bottles out of someone's garage messed up the engine and did the place give you any problems about it
Nah, they provide gas for the town, gas was fine. 
It is a normal thing on the island to get gas off the street.
Turned out to be an issue with the battery.

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2023, 05:52:37 PM »
Day 4,
Woke up to the same amazing view, it's hard to see, but the entire meadow was filled with butterflies and humming birds flying from flower to flower.

was also able to get a pic of some of the birds outside the hut

Did a kayak tour in Río Istián

Getting back to shore, i saw a small fishing boat come back to shore and struck up a conversation with them and ended up buying a Tilapia for 60 Cordoba (a little less than 2 bucks) with the idea of having a my first hot meal in Ometepe!

The fisherman cut out the guts and descaled the fish. I bought a pan and knife in the next village and headed back to the Airbnb to cook my meal, with some help of one of the workers at the Airbnb, I coated the fish with flour, cut up some plantains and got to frying.
I can honestly say, it was the best fish i have had in my life,

notice the fisherman on the left removing water

sea to table in 45 minutes!

Plan was to head back out to Punta Jesus Maria at 5, for sunset at 6.. it started raining at 5 and didn't let up until the next afternoon 1pm.

Coinciding with the rain was a termite hatching where thousands of termites were flying toward any light that was available.

So, at 7pm i was forced to turn out all the light inside and around the hut, closed myself into the netting, and listened to the buzzings of the termites and to the  rain beating down on the metal roof, the sounds and darkness were deafening, and TBH a little unsettling but as they say, "Paradise has a price" .

I found out the next morning that the geckos were feasting on the termites the whole night as was evident by the abnormal amount of droppings and wings that were all over the place,( apparently the don't eat the wings).

I actually caught up on some sleep, as this was probably the earliest i had gone to sleep in years!

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 12:48:29 PM »
Day 5
Refilled with gas

had breakfast

took the ferry to Rivas

took a taxi to San Juan del Sur, where I finally had a proper meal.

Day 6
Shaboss was beautiful with mainly Israeli backpackers,

Havdala

Kiddush Levana

Day 7
I chartered a boat for 100Usd for a 3-hour fishing/sightseeing excursion
Beautiful scenery as well as boating 20 minutes to the next beach,  swimming to shore, and having beer with the boat crew

Day 8
Recovered from dehydration and hiked 45 minutes up a mountain in flipflops to watch the sunset

Paid 10 Cordoba for a ferry across the river on the way

Games at the beach

The hike up

Sunset was meh,

TBC

Offline justmeha

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »
Nice TR!

How much did you pay for the atv?

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 12:48:00 AM »
Nice TR!

How much did you pay for the atv?
45 USD per day

Offline pfdigest

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 10:19:34 PM »
Nice TR! My wife is from there although we haven't been back since 2018. If anybody would like to see more photos of the country here are a couple of old TRs from my defunct blog:

https://saverocity.com/pfdigest/trip-report-nicaragua-lots-of-photos/

https://saverocity.com/pfdigest/masaya-volcano-national-park-nicaragua/