Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 320976 times)

Offline jaywhy

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest year long companion pass
« Reply #380 on: May 05, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »
See above. If WN is selling a seat, you get it.

If there are no seats, they won't bump someone for your CP.

(To the extent OP was talking about an oversold situation, the above should clarify.)
Your statement implied that you'd get a seat even if it was sold out.
Just clarifying that that is not the case :)

Offline BigDanFan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Biz Platinum, Amex Business Gold, Chase Ink Bold, SW, Delta Gold,etc...
« Reply #381 on: May 05, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
Your statement implied that you'd get a seat even if it was sold out.
Just clarifying that that is not the case :)
true. a sold out SW plane won't give you a CP if not pre-reserved, but if a CP is reserved early then it counts like a reg paid seat or award seat just like everyone else, even on an oversold flight.
#DDSCLE,#DDSLA, spg platinum 2016,

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #382 on: May 14, 2014, 05:13:53 PM »
Because I can.

<3 CP.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 14, 2014, 05:35:57 PM »
Because I can.

<3 CP.
LOL Don't see the need. I usually know when I'm going to need a SW flight ahead of time when seats are still pretty cheap.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #384 on: May 14, 2014, 05:59:32 PM »
LOL Don't see the need. I usually know when I'm going to need a SW flight ahead of time when seats are still pretty cheap.

Except I don't know which of three destinations or days I'm going to end up choosing...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 15, 2014, 01:45:19 AM »
 :)
before pesach i had tickets for me, my wife and two kids(two companion passes) booked for three different options of travel for pesach (inlaws first, parents first, and variable airport) and tickets for shavuos, summer flights, and succos all booked in any combo i might need!
I LOVE SW POINTS!!!

Offline bb1836

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 15, 2014, 03:01:59 PM »
After spending the 2k on the cc, do the points only post after the billing cycle or even before?
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 15, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »
After spending the 2k on the cc, do the points only post after the billing cycle or even before?
After.

Offline bb1836

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2014, 03:05:48 PM »
After.
Well it's strange, cuz for my premier it posted before, and for the plus it hasn't......?
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 15, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
Well it's strange, cuz for my premier it posted before, and for the plus it hasn't......?
Before the statement closed? I never heard of any card where the points posted beforehand. Free nights, yes, but not points.

Offline CS1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #390 on: May 15, 2014, 04:42:38 PM »
Before the statement closed? I never heard of any card where the points posted beforehand. Free nights, yes, but not points.
yes, I've also had SW points post super early. In fact, for one acct it was a problem bec. I think that it posted earlier than planned and we ended up with some on 2013 and some in 2014 instead of all in 2014.
B"H, still got 2 CPs. One will expire at end 2014 and one at end of 2015.

With these new links, maybe I should try for 2 more for new CP through 2015.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
Except I don't know which of three destinations or days I'm going to end up choosing...

What are your options? I need three destination for the end of the year. Thinking AUA, CUN, LAX or one of the FL destinations.

I dont like that the AUA and CUN flights are early morning leaving and early afternoon returns. I like to maximize day and leave the night before and come back as late as possible. With the SW flights to AUA and CUN you lose 2 prime half days travelling.

But at least now they allows booking ISP-CUN or ISP-AUA  ;D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 15, 2014, 07:53:32 PM »
What are your options? I need three destination for the end of the year. Thinking AUA, CUN, LAX or one of the FL destinations.

I dont like that the AUA and CUN flights are early morning leaving and early afternoon returns. I like to maximize day and leave the night before and come back as late as possible. With the SW flights to AUA and CUN you lose 2 prime half days travelling.

But at least now they allows booking ISP-CUN or ISP-AUA  ;D

This time around?

FL/LA/SJU/MEM

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #393 on: July 02, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »
AJK and alpicone or anyone else, I have a lot of SW points and a CP. I'm a real noob with redeeming. Can you teach me your ways?

I can use the CP only if booking a flight on WN (as opposed to on FL) and through SW.com?
Are AUA and CUN the only WN destinations outside of USA?

I might have more followups depending on those answers lol. TIA

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: July 02, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »
AJK and alpicone or anyone else, I have a lot of SW points and a CP. I'm a real noob with redeeming. Can you teach me your ways?

I can use the CP only if booking a flight on WN (as opposed to on FL) and through SW.com?
Are AUA and CUN the only WN destinations outside of USA?

I might have more followups depending on those answers lol. TIA
Some info on the intl flights here.

In regards to redeeming, go onto their website and just search for flights. On the top of the results, there should be an option to switch it to points.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 02, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
Some info on the intl flights here.

In regards to redeeming, go onto their website and just search for flights. On the top of the results, there should be an option to switch it to points.

Thanks! That is helpful for destinations. So it has to be both a southwest flight and booked through southwest.com right - in order to use the CP.

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 02, 2014, 11:16:44 AM »
Thanks! That is helpful for destinations. So it has to be both a southwest flight and booked through southwest.com right - in order to use the CP.
I'm not sure if it will work on AirTran flights.

Make sure you have your CP setup with the designated person (i believe you can change it a few times if needed) before booking as it will save you some time.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Redbull3

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:53 AM »
I'm not sure if it will work on AirTran flights.

Make sure you have your CP setup with the designated person (i believe you can change it a few times if needed) before booking as it will save you some time.

Yep I have used CP a number of times already for domestic flights, I'm all set up. I may have slightly exaggerated the "noob." Thanks for your help.

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 02, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
Will the CP work for international flights?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #399 on: July 02, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »
Will the CP work for international flights?
Sure.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.