Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 319487 times)

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread
« Reply #560 on: January 14, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
got 2 southwest cards to get a cp just checked on southwest and I have for this year 109600 miles ...what would be the quickest way to add 400 miles to account so I can get cp  asap?  with using the cc I would have to wait till next billing date which is a month away.....

Xfer from Hyatt or Marriott

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 14, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
Xfer from Hyatt or Marriott
I don't have hyatt or marriot .... I can open one up and transfer in from chase UR ...but can I do such a small transfer amount of 400??

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »
I don't have hyatt or marriot .... I can open one up and transfer in from chase UR ...but can I do such a small transfer amount of 400??

Check the transfer #s it's gonna cost more than 400 anyways

Offline bingit

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 15, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »
so how many hyatt point do I need in my account to transfer into 400 southwest miles?

Offline 12HRS

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »
so how many hyatt point do I need in my account to transfer into 400 southwest miles?

Giyf

Offline nifty21

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Sw Companion pass
« Reply #565 on: January 18, 2015, 08:50:45 PM »
any success with putting in someone elses rapid rewards number when applying? does the name of the primary card holder have to match the rapid rewards account? my wife has a sw card with the 50000 and i would out her rr account number instead of mine this way the points credit to her account and then she'll be pretty close to a cp. will that work?

Offline bb1836

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
any success with putting in someone elses rapid rewards number when applying? does the name of the primary card holder have to match the rapid rewards account? my wife has a sw card with the 50000 and i would out her rr account number instead of mine this way the points credit to her account and then she'll be pretty close to a cp. will that work?
just sign her up for the card instead of you! and if she already has the premier get her the plus.
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline KenZein

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 19, 2015, 10:47:30 AM »

If she earned the 50000 points before the beginning of 2015, then it won't work.

Offline Aaaron

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 19, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »
Can my wife and I each sign up for the Biz card and somehow merge the points for the CP?

Offline steeeveknowsbest

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 21, 2015, 01:59:47 AM »
My friend tried it on my behalf (he owed me 100K+ SW points) and it did NOT work.

Offline Buruch

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 21, 2015, 05:20:08 PM »
You can use the cp as soon as points post. It takes abot 2-3 days for the points to post - not sure how it works over the weekend though. Might just make it, and may just miss it - will definitely be close.

@ Yehuda - Thanks for the update - boy was I right (with a hedge ;)) Excited for you that it worked out!

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
@ Yehuda - Thanks for the update - boy was I right (with a hedge ;)) Excited for you that it worked out!
:-)
Thanks! B"h it worked out

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 21, 2015, 08:20:35 PM »
Just flew SW without using companion passes. Felt so ripped off. Hope to have them both back before my next trip

Offline ushdadude

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:30 PM »
Just flew SW without using companion passes. Felt so ripped off. Hope to have them both back before my next trip

I just booked my first cp-free flight. I hope to get it before I fly and cancel DWs paid ticket

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 22, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
Does the CP come with any other "Elite" benefits?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:30 PM »
Does the CP come with any other "Elite" benefits?
Nope.

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 24, 2015, 08:58:28 PM »
I applied using same FFN for both (Premier+Plus) cards with the logic that they're 2 diff products. Am I wrong?

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 24, 2015, 09:01:29 PM »
I applied using same FFN for both (Premier+Plus) cards with the logic that they're 2 diff products. Am I wrong?
They are 2 different products.

Offline jedderai

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 26, 2015, 01:59:40 PM »
If someone were to transfer their Hyatt points to me and I transfer them into SW RR would they count towards Companion Pass?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #579 on: January 26, 2015, 02:03:52 PM »
Yes.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper