Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 320015 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread
« Reply #840 on: July 23, 2015, 09:51:14 PM »
No.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline my08701

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: July 24, 2015, 12:38:04 AM »
Just booked BWI (Baltimore) direct  FLL for 5k each way. Baltimore is a drive but for a direct flight with SW to Florida with such few points in my opinion is well worth it. Thank you

Offline ayman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Simplify Shopping
« Reply #842 on: July 24, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »
Just booked BWI (Baltimore) direct  FLL for 5k each way. Baltimore is a drive but for a direct flight with SW to Florida with such few points in my opinion is well worth it. Thank you
+1 Did BWI-FLL for 2 and an infant RT for Pesach, for 26K and ~$23

ETA: Stayed at a Hyatt House for 5k, free parking in their lot with free shuttle to and from BWI
Buy discounted gift cards from me.
www.simplifyshopping.com

Offline beeweegee

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: July 24, 2015, 12:54:25 AM »
No.
Thanks. Not sure why, but it wouldn't work on my laptop. I ended up trying to book it on my phone and it went through.

Offline bingit

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: July 24, 2015, 01:01:22 AM »
+1 I booked from bwi to Orlando for family. .... it was half the amount of points than flying from philly.....worth the xtra 1.15 drive past philly imho....

Offline my08701

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: July 24, 2015, 07:17:42 AM »
+1 Did BWI-FLL for 2 and an infant RT for Pesach, for 26K and ~$23

ETA: Stayed at a Hyatt House for 5k, free parking in their lot with free shuttle to and from BWI
Come again, you stayed Hyatt at which location in Florida and where was your free shuttle in Baltimore, your sentence is not adding up (to me at least). Ty

Offline Redbull3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #846 on: July 27, 2015, 02:43:40 PM »
Possibly stupid question - does a companion earn miles for flying?

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: July 27, 2015, 02:53:31 PM »
Possibly stupid question - does a companion earn miles for flying?

no

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 09, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »
When transferring  points  from Marriott or hyatt to southwest  to earn CP, do account  names have to match??

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 25, 2015, 11:06:22 AM »
Have not seen this question answered, if anyone has info please advise:
I transferred 50k from hyatt to SW for companion  pass and supposed to get 6k bonus points  (50k = 24k + 6k bonus) the 24k posted but not the 6k bonus and I need it for a trip in 3 days! Anyone know how long the takes to post? TIA!

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest year long companion pass
« Reply #850 on: August 25, 2015, 04:29:38 PM »
When you convert 50,000 Hyatt Gold Passport points to Southwest Airlines® Rapid Rewards points, you will receive 24,000 points plus a 6,000 point bonus for a total of 30,000 Rapid Rewards points.

http://www.hyatt.com/gp/en/help_content.jsp?parent_cat_id=116
Do you know how long it takes for the bonus 6k to post? The 24k came through but not the 6k and I need it for this friday :(
I know its back dated but that wont really help me... any ideas ? TIA

Offline rapsjr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: August 31, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »
I had some delays in getting my companion pass, so just want to post some info that might help someone else:
I transferred 50k hyatt into 30k southwest a week before my trip that i wanted to use the pass for (I already had 2 tickets but was going to cancel one when I get it), but didn't know that it's broken up into 2 parts, 24k base points and 6k bonus points that hyatt gives. The 24k posted the next day, but not the 6k. After spending alot of time on the phone with southwest and hyatt they told me it'll post a week later, which means i would miss it for this trip. I left on Thursday and returned today, Monday. This morning I woke up early for my return flight, checked my account, and the points are there which means i earned the companion pass, but now the flight was sold out! When i got to the airport I went to the desk and explained to the supervisor that i just earned a companion pass this morning and have a seat already booked for my wife, but would like to use the companion pass and get the points back. He was able to do it for me and i got to use my companion pass a few hours after earning it!

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: August 31, 2015, 11:25:52 AM »
I had some delays in getting my companion pass, so just want to post some info that might help someone else:
I transferred 50k hyatt into 30k southwest a week before my trip that i wanted to use the pass for (I already had 2 tickets but was going to cancel one when I get it), but didn't know that it's broken up into 2 parts, 24k base points and 6k bonus points that hyatt gives. The 24k posted the next day, but not the 6k. After spending alot of time on the phone with southwest and hyatt they told me it'll post a week later, which means i would miss it for this trip. I left on Thursday and returned today, Monday. This morning I woke up early for my return flight, checked my account, and the points are there which means i earned the companion pass, but now the flight was sold out! When i got to the airport I went to the desk and explained to the supervisor that i just earned a companion pass this morning and have a seat already booked for my wife, but would like to use the companion pass and get the points back. He was able to do it for me and i got to use my companion pass a few hours after earning it!
That's great.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #853 on: August 31, 2015, 11:26:13 AM »

Nice! Thanks for reporting back. Enjoy the trip!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
Southwest schedule open through June 3, 2016. Good for Pesach and Spring break.

Via http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/10/27/book-your-spring-break-flights-southwest-schedule-open-through-june-3-2016/

Offline jack12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #855 on: November 08, 2015, 12:48:16 AM »
I made a mistake. If anyone has any ideas for me, I would appreciate hearing them. I applied for a SW credit card to get 50k points to go towards a companion pass for 2016-2017. I accidentally spent the $2,000 this month and Chase said that they will post to my account in a few days. I wanted to spend it at the end of December so that they wouldn't post until after January 1st. Any ideas how to get them to count towards 2016-2017 companion pass? Chase said that they can't extend my closing date.

Offline tzifanya54

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: November 08, 2015, 08:45:36 AM »
Is there any way to change a designated companion without calling in? If not can I call on behalf of my wife, anyone with experience?

Offline jack12

• View Profile
  • Programs: National Emerald Club Executive Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold Presidents Circle, Sixt Platinum
« Reply #857 on: November 08, 2015, 09:11:55 AM »
Is there any way to change a designated companion without calling in? If not can I call on behalf of my wife, anyone with experience?
You very often can call as your wife. Many names are not clearly female to goyim.

Offline Jm1248

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 08, 2015, 09:21:51 AM »
You very often can call as your wife. Many names are not clearly female to goyim.
The Mrs tzifanya54 may be a giveaway though

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 08, 2015, 09:25:59 AM »
I made a mistake. If anyone has any ideas for me, I would appreciate hearing them. I applied for a SW credit card to get 50k points to go towards a companion pass for 2016-2017. I accidentally spent the $2,000 this month and Chase said that they will post to my account in a few days. I wanted to spend it at the end of December so that they wouldn't post until after January 1st. Any ideas how to get them to count towards 2016-2017 companion pass? Chase said that they can't extend my closing date.
Make a return transaction....