Topic Wiki

Southwest Companion Pass.

What is it:

The SW CP is arguably the most valuable airline perk available today. It allows you to bring a companion with you for free on any Southwest flight, regardless of whether you are on a revenue or award ticket. All you pay are the government taxes on the ticket. The pass works for all Southwest flights, including international flights. The pass also works on Airtran flights that are sold on Southwest.com. Airtran flights that are not sold on Southwest.com are not eligible.
Like all other Southwest award bookings, the CP is not subject to any capacity controls, and as long as there is still a seat for sale on a particular flight, it is yours.
The pass is valid for the year it is earned in and the entire next calendar year. If you earned your CP in July 2014, your pass will be valid for the remainder of 2014 and the entirety of 2015.

How to get it:

The SW CP is obtained by earning 125,000 Southwest points in one calendar year. For example, if you earned 8k points by flying at the beginning of 2014, you need to earn another 117k points throughout the rest of 2014 in order to qualify for CP. Once 2015 rolls around, the points you've earned in 2014 no longer qualify for earning your CP, although they will still be redeemable points.

The primary method of accumulating Southwest points is CC signup bonuses. The Southwest CC frequently offers 50k point signup bonuses on all 4 flavors of Southwest cards and signup bonuses count towards earning the CP. Get approved for 2 of these cards, meet the 2k spending requirement on each and you are only 21k points away from the CP.

All points earned through the Rapid Rewards shopping mall also count towards SW CP eligibility.
Points transferred from Hyatt, Club Carlson, Marriott, and Wyndham all count towards CP status.
Points transferred from Ultimate Rewards do not count towards CP, although you can transfer can transfer 50K Ultimate Rewards points into 50K Hyatt and 50K Hyatt transfers into 30K Southwest.

Points earned by crediting hotel stays and car rentals to Southwest also count towards CP.

Using the CP:

Using your CP is very simple. Once you book a flight on Southwest, an "Add a companion" button will appear under your reservation. Just fill out the info and pay the taxes and you are done.
It is best to add your companion right when you book your own flight as there have been instances where people have forgotten to add their companion, the flight subsequently sold out and they were not able to add their companion. One thing to keep in mind is that online changes with a companion booked are not possible, you need to cancel the companion, wait 10-15 min, make the change and then add the companion again. You can make the necessary changes over the phone though.
You can change your companion up to 3 times during the life of your CP. (I believe you can change it 3 times per calendar year.)

« Last edited by pointer on January 23, 2020, 03:35:55 PM »

Author Topic: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread  (Read 318702 times)

Offline oiseli48

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Southwest Companion Pass Master Thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 28, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
That may be true, but I'd imagine there's more of an incentive to check ID of a supposed 3-year-old CP holder.

Yeah I was going to ask if anyone had experience with that, that would be an interesting explanation I'd have to give

Offline oiseli48

• View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 28, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
When do they check, by the gate? I wouldn't be checking in luggage

Offline ShlockDoc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 28, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »
My companion is 12 and has never been asked for ID on dozens of flights. That's being said, don't break the law and don't do things that will ruin a program for everyone else.

Offline 12HRS

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 28, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »
My companion is 12 and has never been asked for ID on dozens of flights. That's being said, don't break the law and don't do things that will ruin a program for everyone else.

In this case we're are talking about the cp holder. I would imagine that sw has the cp holders dob and therefore in order to fly as a the companion the correct age cp holder would need to be flying

Offline oiseli48

• View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 28, 2016, 05:31:29 PM »
Don't do things that will ruin a program for everyone else.

I will not, just asking in case someone did and it's no big deal

Offline joe

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 29, 2016, 10:39:29 PM »
Hi, Can anyone spare SW referral?

Offline joe

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 29, 2016, 11:29:11 PM »
Got it.

Offline mdrills

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SW Companion
« Reply #1007 on: December 04, 2016, 04:33:07 PM »
Still hoping that I will be able to transfer Marriott to SW in January to get the CP but I did a calculation today. If I want to maximize my Marriott week stay voucher and get a category 7 (would allow me to stay in some really top notch resorts) it would cost me 110k SPG points. That's between $1500 and $1700. How is this worth it unless the credit cards aren't 50k each (assuming you don't NEED  the stay)
TIA

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 04, 2016, 04:40:57 PM »
Still hoping that I will be able to transfer Marriott to SW in January to get the CP but I did a calculation today. If I want to maximize my Marriott week stay voucher and get a category 7 (would allow me to stay in some really top notch resorts) it would cost me 110k SPG points. That's between $1500 and $1700. How is this worth it unless the credit cards aren't 50k each (assuming you don't NEED  the stay)
TIA
You're not making any sense.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline mdrills

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SW Companion
« Reply #1009 on: December 04, 2016, 04:48:06 PM »
90k SPG points would transfer to Marriott and then from there   to SW giving you enough points to get the CP. But 90k SPG points can be sold for a nice haul so unless one flies a decent amount or can sell the voucher for a nice amount I don't see how it's worth it

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 04, 2016, 04:49:52 PM »
90k SPG points would transfer to Marriott and then from there   to SW giving you enough points to get the CP. But 90k SPG points can be sold for a nice haul so unless one flies a decent amount or can sell the voucher for a nice amount I don't see how it's worth it
Of course it isn't worth it unless you're going to make good use of the CP.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline bb1836

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 04, 2016, 05:29:22 PM »
Of course it isn't worth it unless you're going to make good use of the CP.
meaning the marriott stays are just a nice added bonus that comes with the CP....no?
As @davidmal says: "Likes" feed the family

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 04, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »
meaning the marriott stays are just a nice added bonus that comes with the CP....no?
Well it's a combination. If you can get the CP through SW CC bonuses, that's probably better but the Marriott option is also great. It all depends on how much you value the CP and how much you value SPG. I for one don't have much need for a CP but I value SPG very highly. I'm still considering doing it for 120k AS but it'll depend on what kind of value I'll be getting out of the 7 night cert. Basically what I'm saying is, everyone has different values for different things and everyone has to make their own cheshbon for what makes sense for them to do.

Offline mdrills

• View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 04, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »
Yes but as of now the credit cards are 40k not 50k

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 04, 2016, 05:45:17 PM »
Yes but as of now the credit cards are 40k not 50k
There are 50k links, you need to get a refferal.

Offline mdrills

• View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 04, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »
There are 50k links, you need to get a refferal.
Thanks good to know. I then need to find a way to do 10k of spend which I don't usually do

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 04, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »
Thanks good to know. I then need to find a way to do 10k of spend which I don't usually do
It's not that much more spend then you'll need for the cards themselves, you also have the whole year although the earlier you get it, the longer you'll have it for obviously.

Offline mdrills

• View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 04, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
It's not that much more spend then you'll need for the cards themselves, you also have the whole year although the earlier you get it, the longer you'll have it for obviously.
Exactly I'd want to do the whole 10k in January
and the cards I think are 2k ms each

Offline mmgfarb

• View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 04, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
Exactly I'd want to do the whole 10k in January
and the cards I think are 2k ms each
Don't do it unless you have a way to hit the spend, it shouldn't be that hard though especially if you're willing to spend some money on it.

Offline mdrills

• View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 04, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »
Don't do it unless you have a way to hit the spend, it shouldn't be that hard though especially if you're willing to spend some money on it.
Say more...I'm listening