Author Topic: Cancelled United TLV to EWR Flight  (Read 1314 times)

Offline curry30

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Cancelled United TLV to EWR Flight
« on: January 06, 2024, 10:55:16 PM »
This is insane and likely illegal. United cancelled our TLV to EWR flight back on 12/21. Since then, they have not allowed us to rebook on another airline or their next available flight quoting some internal policy until a January 8 date. This is not available anywhere on their site or online. How can they literally cancel my ticket and not rebook me for 3 weeks! Our original flight was 01/23. They haven’t called us to rebook.  Anyone experiencing this? Would really appreciate some assistance.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled United TLV to EWR Flight
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 11:35:41 PM »
This is insane and likely illegal. United cancelled our TLV to EWR flight back on 12/21. Since then, they have not allowed us to rebook on another airline or their next available flight quoting some internal policy until a January 8 date. This is not available anywhere on their site or online. How can they literally cancel my ticket and not rebook me for 3 weeks! Our original flight was 01/23. They haven’t called us to rebook.  Anyone experiencing this? Would really appreciate some assistance.
I understand your frustration about this, but unfortunately this is far from insane or illegal, and is common with all airlines. They’re obligated to offer you a full refund but not to rebook on another airline, especially if it’s due to a war.
You may have some luck getting rebooked on the star alliance partners that are restarting to fly this week.

Offline curry30

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 06:24:09 PM »
I understand your frustration about this, but unfortunately this is far from insane or illegal, and is common with all airlines. They’re obligated to offer you a full refund but not to rebook on another airline, especially if it’s due to a war.
You may have some luck getting rebooked on the star alliance partners that are restarting to fly this week.

they wont even offer a full refund! just a partial one. this is insane

Offline yuds70

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2024, 12:18:46 AM »
they wont even offer a full refund! just a partial one. this is insane
Full refund is due when it's a fully unused ticket, not if the outbound was flown/used

Are you saying United is denying you a full refund on a fully unused roundtrip ticket?? That's insane
Make stuff happen.

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2024, 10:50:23 PM »
on the topic of united canceled flights, it seems to me from quite a few years experience, that the mel - lax / sfo route has a ratio of cancellations / delays. plenty of australians have been stuck in lax / sfo over shaboss when the wednesday flights gets cancelled.

yesterday both ua 99 and 61 were cancelled, ua 99 is delayed today by 2 and half hours..

i wonder if the numbers actually back this up [or united are like this all around the board]

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 11:22:26 AM »
on the topic of united canceled flights, it seems to me from quite a few years experience, that the mel - lax / sfo route has a ratio of cancellations / delays. plenty of australians have been stuck in lax / sfo over shaboss when the wednesday flights gets cancelled.

yesterday both ua 99 and 61 were cancelled, ua 99 is delayed today by 2 and half hours..

i wonder if the numbers actually back this up [or united are like this all around the board]

These long flights take longer to refuel and there’s less wiggle-room for crew rest timeout.
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline iambarry

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 11:10:17 AM »
...they have not allowed us to rebook on another airline or their next available flight quoting some internal policy until a January 8 date....Anyone experiencing this? Would really appreciate some assistance.
I had my United flight cancelled also on December 21.  I called and had them rebook me on a Lufthansa flight to Frankfurt and then on a United flight to my original destination.  It took some time on hold but they were able to open up seating for the same rate class as my original flight, and then waved the additional difference in fare.  Maybe I just got lucky?  Might be worth trying to call again.

Offline theyankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 10:20:17 AM »
i was booked tlv-zrh-jfk on swiss with united miles in J
tlv-zrh was cancelled/changed so i called united and they said they are selling direct flights to ewr on my day of travel (end of feb)
is this a good idea to change to the direct UA flight? 

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 11:18:56 AM »
i was booked tlv-zrh-jfk on swiss with united miles in J
tlv-zrh was cancelled/changed so i called united and they said they are selling direct flights to ewr on my day of travel (end of feb)
is this a good idea to change to the direct UA flight?
Bad idea IMHO. Probably better to stick with the changed flight or try to push for LY to ZRH.
Once they switch you to the nonstop, which will almost definitely get cancelled, they’ll just offer you a refund.

Offline theyankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 11:25:57 AM »
Bad idea IMHO. Probably better to stick with the changed flight or try to push for LY to ZRH.
Once they switch you to the nonstop, which will almost definitely get cancelled, they’ll just offer you a refund.
its mileage so not worried about that

Offline cheapascanbe

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2024, 02:50:30 PM »
Probably the wrong forum for this - feel free to direct me to the correct one. My son has a fight booked with United in early April from TLV to EWR. Thus far United hasn't cancelled flights. When will I find out if they do cancel? There don't seem to be many affordable options if they don't fly....

Offline ShimonFly

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LY SL
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2024, 03:55:20 PM »
Probably the wrong forum for this - feel free to direct me to the correct one. My son has a fight booked with United in early April from TLV to EWR. Thus far United hasn't cancelled flights. When will I find out if they do cancel? There don't seem to be many affordable options if they don't fly....
They probably won't fly, they will be able to rebook onto there partners with a stop in Europe (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, LOT polish or maybe Aegean to Athens and then onward with United) Once they officially cancel. (you'll maybe need to reach a supervisor to rebook)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2024, 04:06:57 PM »
They have been cancelling 1-4 weeks before the flight.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.