Author Topic: American Air: Basic Economy Vs. Economy Pricing  (Read 403 times)

Offline HeshiF

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
American Air: Basic Economy Vs. Economy Pricing
« on: January 06, 2024, 10:56:59 PM »
Looking at this news item:

<< Global supermarket chain Carrefour will stop selling PepsiCo products in its stores in France, Belgium, Spain and Italy over price increases for popular items like Lay's potato chips, Quaker Oats, Lipton Iced Tea and its namesake soda.... >>

It makes me wonder as to what logical sense it makes for American Airlines to charge $54 for a basic economy seat and $128 for a main cabin seat on the same flight.  While obviously every business has the absolute inalienable right to price in any way they wish to, does this sound even remotely logical?

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
Re: American Air: Basic Economy Vs. Economy Pricing
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 11:56:03 PM »
Looking at this news item:

<< Global supermarket chain Carrefour will stop selling PepsiCo products in its stores in France, Belgium, Spain and Italy over price increases for popular items like Lay's potato chips, Quaker Oats, Lipton Iced Tea and its namesake soda.... >>

It makes me wonder as to what logical sense it makes for American Airlines to charge $54 for a basic economy seat and $128 for a main cabin seat on the same flight.  While obviously every business has the absolute inalienable right to price in any way they wish to, does this sound even remotely logical?
What made you connect the two?
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline HeshiF

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: American Air: Basic Economy Vs. Economy Pricing
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2024, 09:57:04 AM »
What made you connect the two?

I thought that a grocer saying "that price is simply ridiculous" is a reaction to excess in pricing.  To me, charging for the upgrade from Basic Economy to Economy more than the Basic Economy charge itself bears no relationship to incurred costs, and is a type of excess.

In both cases, the seller clearly is entitled to do whatever they want in terms of pricing, but at some point, it just seems excessive to me.  Keep in mind that the Biden administration came down pretty hard on companies that raised prices in excess of their increased costs.