Author Topic: Recommendations for AI powered copyediting tools  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Recommendations for AI powered copyediting tools
« on: January 03, 2024, 10:08:57 PM »
Hi all.
I'm looking for a copyediting website/program/app, with a specific use case.

I do some work writing and editing documents in English, which are written with lots of Hebrew words, or specific styles. Regular spell checkers are basically useless if your file is full of non-English words, and apps like Grammarly, while useful, seem to not be taking full advantage of AI, while chatgpt can basically only rewrite (sometimes with comical results), not check for grammar issues.

For example, I recently helped someone translate and edit some chiddushei torah of his, totaling about 40 pages. I would love to find a tool that can 1) Smartly highlight potential grammar and punctuation issues for me to accept or reject. 2) Check that my Hebrew words are spelled consistently (eg, if I have the word chiddush 56 times and one time it's spelled chidush, it should highlight it.) 3) Learn the style of the document, so its recommendations fit the rest of it.
Google docs actually does some of this, its suggestions are 10x more intelligent than word or grammarly, but it doesn't catch all errors.
Free is of course better, though I'll pay for good software.

From what I understand, there are projects which let you train an AI on your own dataset, something I'd love to try if it doesn't involve too many hours and significant tech knowledge.

If anyone has any ideas for something helping with the above, or really any copyediting software they like, please reply.

Offline Jojo202

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for AI powered copyediting tools
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 02:58:29 AM »
I was looking for a similar idea, but could not find... (didnt look too much though..)
Maybe these people can help you: https://justcuzai.com/

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 06:46:20 AM »
Hi all.
I'm looking for a copyediting website/program/app, with a specific use case.

I do some work writing and editing documents in English, which are written with lots of Hebrew words, or specific styles. Regular spell checkers are basically useless if your file is full of non-English words, and apps like Grammarly, while useful, seem to not be taking full advantage of AI, while chatgpt can basically only rewrite (sometimes with comical results), not check for grammar issues.

For example, I recently helped someone translate and edit some chiddushei torah of his, totaling about 40 pages. I would love to find a tool that can 1) Smartly highlight potential grammar and punctuation issues for me to accept or reject. 2) Check that my Hebrew words are spelled consistently (eg, if I have the word chiddush 56 times and one time it's spelled chidush, it should highlight it.) 3) Learn the style of the document, so its recommendations fit the rest of it.
Google docs actually does some of this, its suggestions are 10x more intelligent than word or grammarly, but it doesn't catch all errors.
Free is of course better, though I'll pay for good software.

From what I understand, there are projects which let you train an AI on your own dataset, something I'd love to try if it doesn't involve too many hours and significant tech knowledge.

If anyone has any ideas for something helping with the above, or really any copyediting software they like, please reply.

What you can try is putting your instructions into ChatGPT prompt before submitting a piece of work, and keep tweaking the instructions until the output fits your needs. Once you have that template you can either input the instructions each time or you can add it to your settings to be there automatically (might be subscription-only feature).
Visibly Jewish

Offline Jojo202

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 02:25:35 PM »
What you can try is putting your instructions into ChatGPT prompt before submitting a piece of work, and keep tweaking the instructions until the output fits your needs. Once you have that template you can either input the instructions each time or you can add it to your settings to be there automatically (might be subscription-only feature).
In my experience, it could be really hard to get it to do what you want in this type of situation. Especially when you're working with an entire document, and multiple languages. Just to be clear, not saying you're wrong, just saying that sometimes takes a lot more effort than expected.

Online Yo ssi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 12:35:06 AM »
while chatgpt can basically only rewrite (sometimes with comical results), not check for grammar issues.
IME this isn't true
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 01:06:03 AM »
IME this isn't true
Can you give me some examples of prompts to have it check over an existing text for mistakes?

Online Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 08:49:40 AM »
Can you give me some examples of prompts to have it check over an existing text for mistakes?
"Correct the grammar for the following paragraph"
"Show me all the places where the grammar can be fixed on the text below, but please don't change my original text"

Hi all,
I'm looking for a copyediting website/program/app with a specific use case.

I do some work writing and editing documents in English, which are written with lots of Hebrew words or specific styles. Regular spell checkers are basically useless if your file is full of non-English words, and apps like Grammarly, while useful, seem to not be taking full advantage of AI. ChatGPT can basically only rewrite (sometimes with comical results), and it doesn't check for grammar issues.

For example, I recently helped someone translate and edit some chiddushei torah of his, totaling about 40 pages. I would love to find a tool that can 1) Smartly highlight potential grammar and punctuation issues for me to accept or reject. 2) Check that my Hebrew words are spelled consistently (e.g., if I have the word chiddush 56 times and one time it's spelled chidush, it should highlight it.) 3) Learn the style of the document so its recommendations fit the rest of it. Google Docs actually does some of this; its suggestions are 10x more intelligent than Word or Grammarly, but it doesn't catch all errors. Free is, of course, better, though I'll pay for good software.

From what I understand, there are projects that let you train an AI on your own dataset, something I'd love to try if it doesn't involve too many hours and significant tech knowledge.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:57:39 AM by Yo ssi »
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline Chuchum Ainer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 11:51:31 AM »
"Correct the grammar for the following paragraph"
"Show me all the places where the grammar can be fixed on the text below, but please don't change my original text"

Perfect example of why chatgpt is not very helpful for grammar checks.
1 it did.
2,3,4,6 it didn't do what it says it did.
5,7 only tells you a part of what it changed.

copyediting is like so perfect a use case for AI/LLMs, there's gotta be proper software already available.

Online Yo ssi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 02:01:24 PM »
Perfect example of why chatgpt is not very helpful for grammar checks.
1 it did.
2,3,4,6 it didn't do what it says it did.
5,7 only tells you a part of what it changed.

copyediting is like so perfect a use case for AI/LLMs, there's gotta be proper software already available.
You definitely gotta play around.
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline DancyNeals

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 09:51:38 PM »
This is just a suggestion, I have experimented with it a few times. It didn't work for me, but maybe you can try it. You can build your own bot with poe.com. It lets you add prompts and attach reference documents (I prefer PDF) as sources.

Offline Jojo202

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2024, 11:39:34 PM »
Take a look at this:
https://openinterpreter.com/