Author Topic: Benefits and Odds of becoming a Notary Public...  (Read 5379 times)

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Benefits and Odds of becoming a Notary Public...
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2020, 11:08:01 PM »
Just came across this thread.

I became a notary after one of my clients was surprised to hear that I wasn't one. I let it lapse after having to say no too many times to friends who asked me to notarize things that I shouldn't have.
Whenever anyone asks me to notarize something I send them this:

"Please make sure to bring ID. Also, the document must be signed in front of me, please don't bring over an already signed document.

I will not be able to notarize it."

If it's not 100% legitimate I send them packing. I've definitely had plenty of people that ask me anyways.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
Whenever anyone asks me to notarize something I send them this:

"Please make sure to bring ID. Also, the document must be signed in front of me, please don't bring over an already signed document.

I will not be able to notarize it."

If it's not 100% legitimate I send them packing. I've definitely had plenty of people that ask me anyways.

Not all functions of a notary require the document to be signed in front of the notary. And if a person is personally known to me, an ID might not be required.

It's the person that asks me to notarize his mother's signature, while she wasn't present in the state. Or backdating and notarizing documents that were supposedly executed during the lifetime of a deceased, which I obviously declined in both cases, that made me decide to let it lapse.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 12:27:45 AM »
Not all functions of a notary require the document to be signed in front of the notary. And if a person is personally known to me, an ID might not be required.

It's the person that asks me to notarize his mother's signature, while she wasn't present in the state. Or backdating and notarizing documents that were supposedly executed during the lifetime of a deceased, which I obviously declined in both cases, that made me decide to let it lapse.
sending a message like the one he sent is a 'first clue' to the client that requests like the ones you declined will be declined