Author Topic: Laptop Deals/Recommendations request template  (Read 1667 times)

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Laptop Deals/Recommendations request template
« on: February 11, 2024, 05:39:51 AM »
This should make it easier to request a deal or recommendation without having to get follow-up questions. When I get follow-up questions, it simply means I have to look again (or at least give a sub-par answer). Please post what you are looking for in as much detail as possible to save those who will help you from wasting their time. I assume that I won't be the only one answering these requests...

A USAGE: What will you do on your computer?

A1- Basic office work (Microsoft Office, web browsing with minimal tabs, remote access to a work computer, reading seforim)
A2- More intense than the above: Specify the PROGRAMS you will be using, and categorize them as:
    -casual use
    -common use
    -primary use

B: SIZE: What size and weight are you expecting from your computer? Include ALL options that are relevant.

- 15.6 - 16"
   - 14 - 14.5"
   - 13 - 13.5" (this costs more)
   - 17"+ (this costs more)
   - 11.6 - 12.5" (this is either garbage or costs much more)

C: BUILD QUALITY: What level of build quality do you NEED from your computer?
Obviously, the better the build quality, the more money you'll need to spend. 
   - I'm happy to buy refurb at reliable places and/or scratch and dent at Dell (you can say this in addition to the options below)
   - Plastic is fine
   - At least a metal build
   - Only a tank will survive in my work environment (note: this is usually more than double plastic builds)

D: WHERE CAN YOU SHOP?

Include all relevant information, including: how quickly the computer must arrive and where it is going (state is enough, but provide an exact date if you need it by one), can you walk into a local store or must it ship, and if you have credit or discounts at a specific vendor (ie: how much Dell credit, I have a Paybo card at B&H, my cousin gets me an employee discount at Shmendrix discount computers).

E: What do you want to spend?

To explain: Obviously, no one wants to spend more than necessary. Also obviously, the computer must be capable of doing what you need it to do. The question here is: no matter what, do you have an absolute limit to spend at this time? If you can only spend $400 - hard limit - I won't bother telling you that you can get a better build quality for $50 more. So your answer should read: I prefer to spend X, but I am willing to spend X + Y if there is some metzia worth it. The answer back to you should read something like this: You can get away with this $400 computer, but $50 gets you these benefits for you to consider.
Also mention if you want to spend more for future-proofing - that is, if you are the type to add 10% to the cost if it will double your processing power. Note that I currently recommend 16GB of RAM even for basic work, but will post computers with 8GB of RAM if it can be upgraded down the line.
Also mention if you would spend more money for a computer that is lighter.

F: Other features
By each feature, specify: required or preferred?
-Battery life
-Number pad
-Backlit keyboard (you may be on your own for this one, as it takes much longer to look)
-Touch screen
-2-in-1 (ie touch screen that folds back on keyboard)
-Other? Specify. (This is also where you post comments I don't agree with, such as requesting a specific brand or line of computers.  :P Doesn't mean I won't help you find what you ask, though.)
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
Re: Laptop Deals/Recommendations request template
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 05:19:46 AM »
F: Other features, continued:
-Fingerprint reader
-USB-C charging (ie PD) supported
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2024, 11:58:45 AM »
@mevinyavin You wanna post this in the wiki in the right threads maybe?

Offline Bored Bachur

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2024, 02:55:03 PM »
in the wiki of the laptop deals master thread he posted a link to this thread

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 04:56:16 AM »
If you want to get technical, posting for advice for what computer you need to run Indesign in the laptop deals thread is wrong... Aside for there, anywhere else to add it? (PS feel free to spam post it wherever you wish)

Offline mevinyavin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 09:39:02 AM »
sample answer, based exactly on the template:

Usage: basic word processing, web browsing
Size: 15.6-16
Build quality: I'm willing to settle for basic but I want to know how much a metal build will cost me
Shop: Only places that ship to NY (10970) by March 27th
Budget: I wouldn't spend more than $600 no matter what the benefit is
Other: Prefer a backlit keyboard. Battery life should be better than six hours for browsing/word processing, and I would spend up to my budget for better. Strongly prefer non-touchscreen. My mother-in-law thinks Dell is the best company in the universe so I would get a Dell for brownie points (unless the price difference is ridiculous). My friend's cousin gets a 4.375% discount at Schmendrix Computers, in case that matters.