Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1110479 times)

Offline Freddie

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1320 on: March 18, 2014, 01:45:21 PM »
Check this out. I am thinking that United pretty much stinks. I have had so many miserable experiences with them, and now this:

Dear Freddie:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

On behalf of United Airlines, I want to apologize for the inconvenience
you experienced as a result of your flight delay.

Please understand that we do work hard to minimize flight problems. Our
goal is to provide timely flight departures whenever possible; however,
the safety of our customers and crew will always be our first priority.
Flight irregularities of any kind do cause major inconveniences for our
customers, we realize, and we certainly don’t question the feelings of
frustration that can arise as a result. Unfortunately, our industry is
vulnerable to a number of challenges that can, and do, affect our
operation on a daily basis.

While we regret the inconvenience you experienced due to flight delay,
we are unable to provide compensation for flight delays less than 4
hours. It is never our intent to inconvenience our passengers, and I am
very sorry your valid expectations were not met. However, I will add
your comments to our monthly Customer Service Report which will shared
with our airport senior management for internal review necessary
corrective actions.

We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us and the
opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 18, 2014, 02:01:01 PM »
Check this out. I am thinking that United pretty much stinks. I have had so many miserable experiences with them, and now this:
I dont understand. Flight delays happen, you are the one who booked that tight connection (or your company) not United.  I think you are being ridiculous that you expect compensation for that. Grow up.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 18, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
I dont understand. Flight delays happen, you are the one who booked that tight connection (or your company) not United.  I think you are being ridiculous that you expect compensation for that. Grow up.
you arent new to the forums, you should know that ppl ask for compensation for everything
"on the plane, i used the bathroom and the water came out colder than i wanted, how much do you think i can get for that?"
"our plane took off 2 minutes late due to an overhead compartment that wouldn't close, can i get compensation?"
people are so ridiculous

Offline CS1

• View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #1323 on: March 18, 2014, 02:08:17 PM »
If this is the scenario that I recall, it was United that booked his connecting flight approx 30 minutes apart,
yet when the first plane arrived to the gate late, and it was United that had pre-arranged the connecting departure flight to take-off from a terminal that is not connected to the arriving terminal -- it was 20 minutes away by "tram/trolley"!
When he arrived there (and they obviously knew that he was on his way, as they can see when all the United flights land),
they had closed the gate and did not let him board the plane.  I believe that United could have accommodated those circumstances.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 18, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
If this is the scenario that I recall, it was United that booked his connecting flight approx 30 minutes apart,
yet when the first plane arrived to the gate late, and it was United that had pre-arranged the connecting departure flight to take-off from a terminal that is not connected to the arriving terminal -- it was 20 minutes away by "tram/trolley"!
When he arrived there (and they obviously knew that he was on his way, as they can see when all the United flights land),
they had closed the gate and did not let him board the plane.  I believe that United could have accommodated those circumstances.
Please advise.

Basically, my connection in IAD was scheduled to land at 4:14 and landed at 4:21. My flight home took off at 4:50. I never had a chance even though I ran like a demon out of hell to get from C concourse to A. It was a joke.

Now I am sitting in the United Club at IAD until the 9:50pm flight home all because United routed my connection so impossibly tight.

Can I get anything for this? Who do I talk to? What should I ask for? How should I ask for it?
He (or an agent for him) booked it and he accepted that it was a tight connection. Now he is complaining that United allows that tight of a connection. Come on!

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: March 18, 2014, 02:18:10 PM »

Yes, that is exactly what happened. Amazing memory!

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: March 18, 2014, 02:19:12 PM »
He (or an agent for him) booked it and he accepted that it was a tight connection. Now he is complaining that United allows that tight of a connection. Come on!

Do you concede that there is an connection time that is short enough that United will NOT offer it as an itinerary?

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: March 18, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what happened. Amazing memory!
United did not book it they allowed it but you chose to book it. Your own fault for choosing a 30 minute connection. Sorry but i think your dead wrong.

Offline DansDealsLover

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: March 18, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
Carrier: United
EWR - MSP
Flight cancelled, rescheduled PHL - MSP
Compensation: None  :-[
I emailed twice re my cancelled flight from EWR to MSP. I hastily rescheduled from PHL - MSP, and that was very stressful for me. I guess my agent had a bad day :-[
Does anyone think if I email again from the website I might reach a better agent who will give me something? I know the rule of the game is HUCA, but have they noted my account already? Please read from the bottom up to follow the conversation.

Dear ,

Thank you for contacting us again.

I apologize your dissatisfied with my response.

Please be advised Customer Care employees are considered to be members of management empowered to handle situations as they arise according to policies and procedures. 

All correspondence is reviewed for quality assurance. My supervisor works in an administrative and leadership capacity to oversee the quality of  my work. At United Airlines, we each have an important role to play, but we are united by our overall common goal which is to provide optimal service.

To answer your question regarding what other flights flying from Newark to Minneapolis on February 6th was cancelled. Our records indicates out of  5 flights 2 was cancelled, and the other 3 was delayed.  We appreciate this opportunity to respond.

Mr. , as a Mileage plus member we appreciate your business with United.

Regards,
ChaddieAnn Evans
Customer Care

ref. 7501273

Original Message Follows: ------------------------
Thank you for your delayed response.
Unfortunately your answer is far less than satisfactory. As I indicated in my original email, weather was the highly unlikely cause of the cancellation seeing as flights were departing from EWR for other locations at exactly the same time as my scheduled departure time, and flights were arriving at my destination at exactly the same time as my scheduled arrival time.
I know it is easy to blame any flight disruptions during the winter months on inclement weather, but there was no snow falling that day at either the departure or arrival location. I also would like to know which other flights flying similar routes were cancelled on that day. United airlines' refusal to grant any compensation at all, and the extremely lousy customer service (30 day official response time - 32 days actual response time!) does little to change my view that United cares less about actual customer satisfaction, and more about profits. I am in the process of scheduling an international trip, and am now contemplating eliminating United from my choice of airlines.
A response from your CS manager within 14 days will be appreciated. 

Signed by an unhappy customer,

On Mar 17, 2014, at 10:12 AM, "CustomerCare@united.com" <customercare@united.com> wrote:

Dear Mr. ,

Thank you for contacting us. I apologize for the delayed response to your concerns as were experiencing a high volume of emails.

I am responding to your email regarding your recent travel to Minneapolis on February 6, 2014. I want to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced as a result of cancelled flight 4154.

Please understand that we do work hard to minimize flight problems. Flight irregularities of any kind do cause major inconveniences for our customers, we realize, and we certainly don’t question the feelings of frustration that can arise as a result. Unfortunately, our industry is vulnerable to a number of challenges that can, and do, affect our operation on a daily basis. Inclement weather and air traffic situations issues all affect our ability to meet our In-time performance goals that day. I'm sorry.

United Airlines offers advance seat assignments as a courtesy to our customers. We do our best to accommodate individual seat requests. Seat assignments are not guaranteed. Unforeseen operational changes, such as aircraft substitutions, can occur at any time due to maintenance and unexpected schedule adjustments. When customers are transferred to a different aircraft, the system attempts to reassign seats as close to the original seats as possible.

We appreciate you taking the time to compliment the great service you received from our phone agent Charlie. It's always a pleasure to hear that we tried to provide you with a better experience. I will be sure to forward your comments to her supervisor and know that he will be thrilled to hear from you.

We appreciate your request for compensation, however under our compensation policy we do not provide compensation for cancellations due to weather or air traffic control issues. Your comments will be forwarded to our Management team for their internal records. We appreciate this opportunity to respond and hope to serve you under better circumstances.

Mr , as a Mileage plus member we appreciate your business with United.

Regards,

ChaddieAnn Evans
Customer Care

ref.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Submitted: 2/13/2014 11:32:35 PM
Remote Host:
User Agent: AppleMAC-Safari
Signed In: Yes

Name:
E-mail Address:
Home Phone Number: xxxxxxxxx - United States
Business/Other Phone Number: None
Address Type: Home
Address:

MileagePlus Number: xxxxxxxx

Subject: Airport Experience
Reply: Not applicable

Message: I am writing with much disappointment regarding the sudden cancellation of my flight referenced above. this was a hastily arranged very short trip in order to attend to a family members' medical emergency, so understandably I was extremely distressed when waking up at 5am to an email that my flight had been cancelled. To date, I have not received any information on the cause of this cancellation. The stress involved in rescheduling and attempting to catch an alternative flight on such short notice needs no description. Furthermore, I had to endure an extremely unsuitable seat assignment on my return trip, as the lack of time did not allow me to confirm suitable seats as I had done on my original reservation.

I do commend the phone agent (Charlie?) who did his best to assist me with rescheduling a suitable flight. He was courteous, competent, and sympathized with my situation.

United Airlines has always been my preferred carrier, and I hope it will remain that way. The appropriate compensation for my inconvenience will help determine that.

Respectfully,

Flight Number: 4154

Flight Date: 2/6/2014

Approximate Departure Time: Anytime

Origin: New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)
Destination: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN (MSP)

Airport: None
Date: None

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: March 18, 2014, 04:19:48 PM »
United did not book it they allowed it but you chose to book it. Your own fault for choosing a 30 minute connection. Sorry but i think your dead wrong.

What's your problem, man? Get off your high horse. I accepted the routing that they provided me. I didn't put together the routing. You're just in the mood to be a jerk.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1330 on: March 18, 2014, 04:24:34 PM »
What's your problem, man? Get off your high horse. I accepted the routing that they provided me. I didn't put together the routing. You're just in the mood to be a jerk.

I agree with him. Perhaps that makes me a jerk as well, or perhaps not... but what seems to be definitely true is that you're being greedy and unrealistic.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: March 18, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »
I remember someone posting a way to figure out why a flight was late/canceled - does anyone remember?
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: March 18, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
I agree with him. Perhaps that makes me a jerk as well, or perhaps not... but what seems to be definitely true is that you're being greedy and unrealistic.

Greedy and unrealistic? Look, compensation exists for a legitimate reason. I am not trying to exploit the system here. I truly feel that United didn't take care of me. I will now try to avoid them as much as possible.

Offline shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
Greedy and unrealistic? Look, compensation exists for a legitimate reason. I am not trying to exploit the system here. I truly feel that United didn't take care of me. I will now try to avoid them as much as possible.
Let them have it! A little bone would have made you happy? I am being serious- if they decide not to compensate you that is their choice.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #1334 on: March 18, 2014, 04:32:37 PM »
Exploit them? U must be kidding me. you have no legit reason to be getting compensation IMHO. sorry bro
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #1335 on: March 18, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »
Look, compensation exists for a legitimate reason.

Exactly. Compensation exists for legitimate reasons. Yours is simply not legitimate.

If you choose not to engage UA as a result of the declining to award you compensation in this instance, I'm not sure they'll miss you.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 18, 2014, 05:01:56 PM »
What a laugh! All of a sudden all you guys come out of the woodwork to condemn me for working the system?  ;D ;D ;D

I for one would NOT complain that my air nozzle didn't work or that the drink service was out of Sprite. Those things are trivial.

I guess we all have different ideas of what is a legitimate gripe. But the bottom line is that the airlines offer compensation for one reason: to preserve business. UA has been careless with me a few times. They lost my business. And just so you know, of the over one hundred flights I flew with them in the past five years, 99 of them were paid flights.

Whatevs... haters gonna hate.

Offline rots5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
    • Custom Cakes for Every Occassion
« Reply #1337 on: March 18, 2014, 05:03:34 PM »
Read your first post and then re read your newest post. I felt its getting out of hand. personally.
If you have any questions please search and then ask. PM me for detailed help.

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #1338 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:01 PM »
I love this thread...I get some real good laughs... and some funny looks in the office when i chuckle at the posts on this thread!!!!

Offline Freddie

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 18, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »
I love this thread...I get some real good laughs... and some funny looks in the office when i chuckle at the posts on this thread!!!!

SHAAA!!!  >:(