Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1119392 times)

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1600 on: January 07, 2015, 10:55:27 AM »
Usually you need to put the entire cost of the tickets on the CC for that
Chase clearly told me that if it's an award and you can charge the tax on the card then its eligible

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1601 on: January 07, 2015, 10:59:42 AM »

Usually you need to put the entire cost of the tickets on the CC for that
And in the case of an award ticket, the taxes are the entire cost
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline 3yummyboys

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 07, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »
Is that counted? Does that also apply for travel insurance and the like?

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1603 on: January 07, 2015, 11:03:42 AM »

Is that counted? Does that also apply for travel insurance and the like?

I know for the bags reimbursement if your bags are delayed its good enough
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Racer7400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 07, 2015, 12:40:29 PM »
My father was supposed to fly from Chicago to TLV on US Airways via PHL but they canceled his Flight and in the end they rebooked him on a BA flight via London that would be arriving 6 hours later (he was in Israel only for a day and a half). Also they delaye his luggage and he didn't get it until after he left Israel. Should he try for compensation or just take the regular 4000 points/$100 voucher TIA.

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #1605 on: January 07, 2015, 01:50:39 PM »
My father was supposed to fly from Chicago to TLV on US Airways via PHL but they canceled his Flight and in the end they rebooked him on a BA flight via London that would be arriving 6 hours later (he was in Israel only for a day and a half). Also they delaye his luggage and he didn't get it until after he left Israel. Should he try for compensation or just take the regular 4000 points/$100 voucher TIA.

I think that's worthy of more than just 4k and $100.  Why did they cancel the original flight?

Offline Mech

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
« Reply #1606 on: January 12, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »
I have a flight with turkish airlines in 2 months. Just got an email that there was a schedule change departing 20 mins earlier. Now I'm gonna have a longer stopover. Is there anything I can get out of this?

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
I have a flight with turkish airlines in 2 months. Just got an email that there was a schedule change departing 20 mins earlier. Now I'm gonna have a longer stopover. Is there anything I can get out of this?

Sure. You can get a special concierge person waiting for you with a sign, driving you around in a Maybach for up to 8 hours. Plus a free massage and an allowance of $800 to be used in any kosher restaurant.

I wanted to write more uglier, but decided against it.

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 12, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
For 20 minutes ?

Offline 3yummyboys

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:56 PM »
Sure. You can get a special concierge person waiting for you with a sign, driving you around in a Maybach for up to 8 hours. Plus a free massage and an allowance of $800 to be used in any kosher restaurant.

+1

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 12, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
The most you can get is a free refund, but that's all

Offline Mech

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC, National EE, United Silver, SkyTeam Silver
« Reply #1611 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:43 PM »

I wanted to write more uglier, but decided against it.
Like the sarcasm.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough. But looks like chff understood me.
For 20 minutes ?

The most you can get is a free refund, but that's all
Thanx!
The reason why I asked this question was because I've seen many times in different threads that people were allowed to cancel for free just like you are saying. But this usually works with normal airlines. Would this work also with turkish?

Offline AI-TRAVEL

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 12, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »
I've had delta put me on a direct flight bec my flight with a stopover got delayed 15 min.

Offline avadah

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 13, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
Does anyone have an email address for AA customer service? (I don't want to send them one through their website because I don't want to be limited to 1500 characters.)

Offline M

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 13, 2015, 05:23:29 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to response or how to get some compensation for a flight cancellation after 4 hours delayed on the plane, rescheduled for nearly 24 hours later (actually ended up going different airline but was still a nightmare), and no hotel availably at the airport so spent the night on chairs at the airport.

Here is their response to my complaint letter.

After investigations, our records show that flight AZ  on 06/10/2014 was delayed for technical reasons.
As a matter of policy and in accordance with CAA recommendations, Alitalia makes every effort to provide as much notice as possible to try and ensure alterations in future travel plans are kept to a minimum. The airline does its utmost to carry out all necessary maintenance programmed checks of its aircraft at all times. However some unexpected technical problems may arise from time to time. In this case the carrier’s attention is totally focused on the specific problem to allow the aircraft to resume its full operations as quickly as possible. Nevertheless, it may happen that the flight’s cancellation is deemed necessary.
Please note that no compensation is due on this occasion as outlined in Regulation EC 261/2004 which stipulates (under Article 5.3 and Recital 14) that the liability of the Airline is exonerated when the cancellation of a flight is due to “extraordinary circumstances” which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
We can certainly understand your disappointment and wish to assure you that one of our main goals is offering our clients, besides a safe and efficient transport service, a pleasant trip. Therefore, Alitalia gives maximum care and attention to all those aspects which contribute to make each and every flight an enjoyable experience.
It is also through such feedback that we are able to focus our efforts on improvement. Be assured that the Report of the event has been relayed to the appropriate departments for their further consideration.

We hope to be given an early opportunity to restore your full confidence in our services. Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Office on :Customer.relationsNYC@alitalia.it , for any further information, if necessary.

After my response they finally agreed to 75 euro per passenger but I came across a thread on flyertalk about filing an Enac complaint. Anyone have any experience with this? Apparently Alitalia claims the  "extraordinary circumstances" in most cases and attempts not to pay.  Anyone know how to file a EU 261/2004 complaint form?

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 13, 2015, 06:25:20 PM »
Maybe threatening to file a complaint will do the trick?

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 13, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to response or how to get some compensation for a flight cancellation after 4 hours delayed on the plane, rescheduled for nearly 24 hours later (actually ended up going different airline but was still a nightmare), and no hotel availably at the airport so spent the night on chairs at the airport.

Here is their response to my complaint letter.

After investigations, our records show that flight AZ  on 06/10/2014 was delayed for technical reasons.
As a matter of policy and in accordance with CAA recommendations, Alitalia makes every effort to provide as much notice as possible to try and ensure alterations in future travel plans are kept to a minimum. The airline does its utmost to carry out all necessary maintenance programmed checks of its aircraft at all times. However some unexpected technical problems may arise from time to time. In this case the carrier’s attention is totally focused on the specific problem to allow the aircraft to resume its full operations as quickly as possible. Nevertheless, it may happen that the flight’s cancellation is deemed necessary.
Please note that no compensation is due on this occasion as outlined in Regulation EC 261/2004 which stipulates (under Article 5.3 and Recital 14) that the liability of the Airline is exonerated when the cancellation of a flight is due to “extraordinary circumstances” which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
We can certainly understand your disappointment and wish to assure you that one of our main goals is offering our clients, besides a safe and efficient transport service, a pleasant trip. Therefore, Alitalia gives maximum care and attention to all those aspects which contribute to make each and every flight an enjoyable experience.
It is also through such feedback that we are able to focus our efforts on improvement. Be assured that the Report of the event has been relayed to the appropriate departments for their further consideration.

We hope to be given an early opportunity to restore your full confidence in our services. Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Office on :Customer.relationsNYC@alitalia.it , for any further information, if necessary.

After my response they finally agreed to 75 euro per passenger but I came across a thread on flyertalk about filing an Enac complaint. Anyone have any experience with this? Apparently Alitalia claims the  "extraordinary circumstances" in most cases and attempts not to pay.  Anyone know how to file a EU 261/2004 complaint form?
AZ typical claim, or they will say open we don't care about the law. They need to give you, but they are using wordings  to deny the claim

Offline bookwrm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 19, 2015, 12:57:25 PM »
yesterday my family and i flew from mtl -san with a stopover in lax. well, our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:55 but it was delayed until 10am. we got to the airport at 8 and for the next few hours our flight was delayed. first to 10:40, 11:00 then finally at 12:10 we boarded the flight. due to weather (which was the cause of the delay), we were on the plane for 3 hours. first waiting in line to de ice (1:45) then to de ice (45 minutes). because of the delay we missed our connection from lax-san. air canada said that they would not help us until we got to la, united said no flights were available. once we got to la, air canada again said that they cannot help us. united did rebook us on a flight for mon morning at 7:40 a.m. problem is, my spouse had to be at work at 8 so that was a no go. thus we did not take that flight and drove down.

a few questions: i'm pretty miffed with air canada at the way they handled the situation. we waited for hours to finally leave. all the while they never once offered any kind of food voucher (delta last year had us wait an hour due to weather and offered every passanger a $7 food voucher). once we got our suitcases they were also drenched (as were the items inside them).

as for united: at first they would not assist in rebooking us, only hours later did they but we couldn't make the flight since we needed to be home earlier. what kind of compensation can i ask from both airlines? it was such a nightmare, especially traveling with a 10 months old baby.

united responded and gave us a $150 voucher. should i ask then to reimburse us the miles for the last leg of the trip (the one we did not take). still waiting on air canada's response

Offline yitzy93

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 19, 2015, 01:38:29 PM »
united responded and gave us a $150 voucher. should i ask then to reimburse us the miles for the last leg of the trip (the one we did not take). still waiting on air canada's response

Asking never hurts IMO :)

Offline EMCC

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
« Reply #1619 on: January 22, 2015, 01:57:31 AM »
UA: LAS-SFO-HKG

I arrived to LAS airport early looking forward to eating kosher breakfast at the Centurion lounge. I was told they are no longer serving kosher. Not finding any acceptable substitutes for kosher breakfast at the airport, I was really looking g forward to my kosher lunch on my flight from sfo to hkg just a few hours later. I booked my flight on united.com. My flight from Las Vegas to San Francisco was delayed by 30 minutes due to low clouds in sfo. This was not good as my stopover in sfo was only for an hour. The kind lady at the gate reassured me that there would be a cart to take us to the gate of the connecting flight when I arrive in sfo,and even if I miss my flight, there are many partner airlines I can use to get to hkg. When I arrived in sfo my heart sank. All of us connecting to hkg were the first to disembark but there was no cart to take us from gate 69 to 98, a whole terminal away. We all ran to the gate but we were told we missed the flight by 10 minutes. I went to wait waiting in line for customer service to see if I can get a partner flight departing later that day. There were two lines, one for elite member and one for ecconomy. The elite members were served first. I was first on line at the ecconomy desk but after 45 minutes of not being served, I left the airport to find another customer service desk. I have not eaten all day and it was already 2pm but I kept my cool. I found a better customer service desk and the airport check-in and I was quickly served. The United representative let me know that they would not put me on a partner flight and the next United flight to hkg was the next afternoon. He also let me know that although I would have to stay in hkg overnight, they would not pay for my expenses such as hotel, God or transportation. I asked to claim my baggage and went to the badge claim. After 6 hours at the baggage claim it was pretty clear that my bags were not going to show up so I went to a hotel I booked. I checked in to the hotel and went to search for kosher food. It was now 8pm and almost 24 hours since I have eaten anything significant. After some online research I could not find any kosher food at that hour within a half an hour drive of my hotel. I woke up early to get to the airport to try to find my luggage. I found my luggage, checked in, showered and changed in the Centurion lounge. 12:45 pm I was on the airplane ready to go to hkg. I has now been 40 hours since I have had a meal. An hour later, lunch was served on the flight when they let me know that they forgot my kosher meal. 14 hours later I landed. 54 hours without food. Finally I had a meal at 1 am. United made me starve for about 60 hours.
"Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz