Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1117816 times)

Offline YG

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #1760 on: March 29, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
Will do. Thanks.

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: April 02, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
There's a dead pixel on my screen on AA.
You think I can demand a new tv 📺 for my House 🏠 so I cam watch the show?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:37 AM »
There's a dead pixel on my screen on AA.
You think I can demand a new tv 📺 for my House 🏠 so I cam watch the show?
New house is probably the way to go.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: April 08, 2015, 07:25:11 PM »
A friend of mine (and his wife) was supposed to fly Swiss from BRU (Belgium) to TLV with a short stopover in Zurich. The flight to Zurich was canceled. After a lot of hassle they agreed to put them on a direct flight scheduled more than 3 hrs later with Brussels Airlines. On that flight they obviously didn't get the kosher meal (nor the same good service) which they had ordered by Swiss, which left them for an extended period of time without any food.
What type of compensation can I expect/demand from Swiss in my complaint to them?
(I'm doing the complaint work for my friend)

Offline belighted

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: April 09, 2015, 07:07:06 PM »
Just flew southwest from EWR-MDW when we got off the plane and picked up our stroller from the gate we noticed it was banged up and damaged pretty badly. At the carousel the extremely "courteous" Southwest employees there stated they are not liable and never take responsibility for strollers. Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any chance of us getting compensated? What route would people recommend ?

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: April 13, 2015, 09:31:11 AM »
Anyone know what time frame is needed for the Airline to give you food vouchers?

Missed our 6:30pm flight last night (Airlines fault) and they put us on a 7:35pm flight without vouchers. The ones that were put on the 8:20pm flight did get vouchers. Not sure if this has anything to do with the Airline specifically. If it does, it was Air Canada.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1766 on: April 13, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »
So because everyone here likes to ask for something I might as well join.

My Redeye LAX-ORD (original departure 11:59pm) was delayed till around 2:30am when they decided to switch planes. Mechanical issues.

Kept on having minimal updates and kept on pushing off the delay by 10 minutes. WASN'T on the plane.

So.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline Chief Rabbi of New York

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: April 13, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »
So because everyone here likes to ask for something I might as well join.

My Redeye LAX-ORD (original departure 11:59pm) was delayed till around 2:30am when they decided to switch planes. Mechanical issues.

Kept on having minimal updates and kept on pushing off the delay by 10 minutes. WASN'T on the plane.

So.

depends what airline.
most airlines would give a few hundred dollar voucher if you know how to complain and HUCA if they give nothing
Show Some Respect for Me, I am The Chief Rabbi of New York :)

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: April 13, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »
Airline: United
Flight  LHR-EWR
Class:  BusinessFirst (ANA award ticket)
Date:  04/13/15
Incident:  No kosher meal (I was on a later flight, but changed 4 days ago, & I called in to confirm KSML)
Compensation:  ??

What should i ask for?
Someone suggested that I tell them, that I only fly business, because of the better food, that seat doesn't really make a difference for me, and I should request the points distance difference between economy and business, or an global upgrade. Should i say that?

Should i also ask ANA for compensation?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:29:20 PM by talmid chuchem »

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: April 13, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »
Airline: United
Flight: LHR-EWR
Class: BusinessFirst (ANA award ticket)
Date: 04/13/15
Incident: No kosher meal (I was on a later flight, but changed 4 days ago, & I called in to confirm KSML)
Compensation: ??

What should i ask for?
Someone suggested that I tell them, that I only fly business, because of the better food, that seat doesn't really make a difference for me, and I should request the points distance difference between economy and business, or an global upgrade. Should i say that?

Should i also ask ANA for compensation?
Likely will just get a voucher for ~$150 maybe.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline chucksterace

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #1770 on: April 13, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »

Less. They have been getting strict lately on the vouchers for meals.
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline talmid chuchem

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: April 14, 2015, 01:33:34 AM »
What about ANA?

Offline M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: April 15, 2015, 12:11:45 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions as to what to response or how to get some compensation for a flight cancellation after 4 hours delayed on the plane, rescheduled for nearly 24 hours later (actually ended up going different airline but was still a nightmare), and no hotel availably at the airport so spent the night on chairs at the airport.

Here is their response to my complaint letter.

After investigations, our records show that flight AZ  on 06/10/2014 was delayed for technical reasons.
As a matter of policy and in accordance with CAA recommendations, Alitalia makes every effort to provide as much notice as possible to try and ensure alterations in future travel plans are kept to a minimum. The airline does its utmost to carry out all necessary maintenance programmed checks of its aircraft at all times. However some unexpected technical problems may arise from time to time. In this case the carrier’s attention is totally focused on the specific problem to allow the aircraft to resume its full operations as quickly as possible. Nevertheless, it may happen that the flight’s cancellation is deemed necessary.
Please note that no compensation is due on this occasion as outlined in Regulation EC 261/2004 which stipulates (under Article 5.3 and Recital 14) that the liability of the Airline is exonerated when the cancellation of a flight is due to “extraordinary circumstances” which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.
We can certainly understand your disappointment and wish to assure you that one of our main goals is offering our clients, besides a safe and efficient transport service, a pleasant trip. Therefore, Alitalia gives maximum care and attention to all those aspects which contribute to make each and every flight an enjoyable experience.
It is also through such feedback that we are able to focus our efforts on improvement. Be assured that the Report of the event has been relayed to the appropriate departments for their further consideration.

We hope to be given an early opportunity to restore your full confidence in our services. Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care Office on :Customer.relationsNYC@alitalia.it , for any further information, if necessary.

After my response they finally agreed to 75 euro per passenger but I came across a thread on flyertalk about filing an Enac complaint. Anyone have any experience with this? Apparently Alitalia claims the  "extraordinary circumstances" in most cases and attempts not to pay.  Anyone know how to file a EU 261/2004 complaint form?

After doing some research I replied to Alitalia with the below plus some case references, but the main part is below.

"I would like to reference a similar case to mine and I hope Alitalia will finally agree to pay me what I am deserved. Alitalia has dragged this out for long enough and the statement written by Alitalia, "Please note that no compensation is due on this occasion as outlined in Regulation EC 261/2004 which stipulates (under Article 5.3 and Recital 14) that the liability of the Airline is exonerated when the cancellation of a flight is due to “extraordinary circumstances” which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.” , the burden of proof is on Alitalia and the above is 100% not true."

There response back, "In response to your latest correspondence regarding your journey – ....., having carefully reviewed your case, and understanding your continued dissatisfaction with our services, we regret to inform you that we cannot offer you any further compensation than previously offered in the attached mail."

After this I filed a complaint with ENAC outlining all the details etc...ENAC,s response,
 "according to article 16.1 of Regulation (EC) 261/2004, we would like to inform you that we are herewith transferring your complaint for the foreseen ascertainments at ENAC Airport Directorate of Fiumicino which is territorially competent for the flight disruption you have been involved.

The investigation about the events reported in the complaint is a complex process which involves the acquisition of specific and technical data from multiplex stakeholders to ascertain the possible breach of the regulation.

ENAC notify the passenger of the final assessment and of any possible actions taken against the operative air carrier.
ENAC ensures the general compliance with Regulation (EC) 261/2004 and it may impose fines in case of proven infringements of that Regulation. The aim is to prevent other infringements in the future.

Your individual claims are independent of that, e.g. the payment of reimbursement or compensation. ENAC is neither authorized to support you to enforce these claims according the regulation against the air carrier nor to give you legal advice in that respect.

Individual claims have to be compensated within the scope of a legal relationship between passenger and air carrier, if necessary, by complaint proceedings and summary proceedings for order to pay debts in court.

Within the scope and the purposes above referred, your complaint is going to be dealt with."

I have yet to hear back from the department that they transferred the case to in regards to the investigation. I have sent them multiple emails.
I am not sure as to what the next move should be but would love some suggestions. After dealing with this for so long I am not about to give up. This was after all a terrible experience!

Offline SPLP

• View Profile

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #1774 on: April 15, 2015, 09:11:05 AM »

“extraordinary circumstances”

Alitalia always answers this

Offline Hershelsdeals

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: April 15, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »
if bags arrived 2 days late with Aeroflot, does it even pay to try to get them to compensate? And if yes what can I expect?

Offline M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: April 15, 2015, 01:48:09 PM »

Offline amx

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: April 15, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »
United is offering me either 10,000 miles or a $200 e certificate (that expires in a year and is non transferrable officially) which one do you guys think i should take?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: April 15, 2015, 11:37:36 PM »
United is offering me either 10,000 miles or a $200 e certificate (that expires in a year and is non transferrable officially) which one do you guys think i should take?
That.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline amx

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: April 16, 2015, 04:17:30 PM »
Thanks but what if i dont have any plans to fly united within the next year?