Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1117937 times)

Offline Jm1248

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2020 on: August 17, 2015, 04:49:30 PM »
Ok legitimate claim here. Flew united to Costa Rica on Sunday morning at 730 am. They left one of my suitcases in EWR and I still don't have it close to 36 hours later. They say it'll be delivered to my hotel tonight. Huge hassle as most of our food and my wife's clothing were in there. Assuming it does arrive tonight, what sort of compensation can I request (aside from reimbursement of things I needed to buy) and is there any specific number or email that's better than others for requesting compensation?

Offline Marco Polo

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 17, 2015, 04:50:43 PM »
Ok legitimate claim here. Flew united to Costa Rica on Sunday morning at 730 am. They left one of my suitcases in EWR and I still don't have it close to 36 hours later. They say it'll be delivered to my hotel tonight. Huge hassle as most of our food and my wife's clothing were in there. Assuming it does arrive tonight, what sort of compensation can I request (aside from reimbursement of things I needed to buy) and is there any specific number or email that's better than others for requesting compensation?
What CC did you use to book this?
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 17, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
What CC did you use to book this?
Unfortunately cc not gona help. Booked through someone's gift registry here on ddf. First time I ever booked not using my own account/cc

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:28 AM »
Update: suitcase arrived at 11 pm - over 36 hours after landing. Phone rep said they couldn't offer any more than a $150 travel voucher, which seems very inadequate to me. Any recourse?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 18, 2015, 03:11:24 AM »
Update: suitcase arrived at 11 pm - over 36 hours after landing. Phone rep said they couldn't offer any more than a $150 travel voucher, which seems very inadequate to me. Any recourse?

If you have receipts you can send em to United and I'd email them as well either way.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline a mirrer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: August 18, 2015, 04:34:14 AM »
i once got all 3 of my suitcase 36 hours late on tlv-ewr flight in the winter so i contacted them (will see if i have the number i called) and faxed in my receipts and got my whole claim of $750 for 3 passengers

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:48 AM »
Seems very low.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »
bags delayed 2 days - $75 United, $200 Chase card/$100 day. Had to make the purchases while baggage was missing and then send in receipts.

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 19, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »
bags delayed 2 days - $75 United, $200 Chase card/$100 day. Had to make the purchases while baggage was missing and then send in receipts.
United should also cover the purchases you made while bags were missing. At least they told me they would

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 20, 2015, 08:36:51 PM »
Update: got a supervisor to offer me $250 voucher instead of the $150. Question now is I already received the original $150 voucher I was offered. Will it be voided? How do I check if I got lucky and they will both be valid?

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 20, 2015, 11:14:00 PM »
Update: got a supervisor to offer me $250 voucher instead of the $150. Question now is I already received the original $150 voucher I was offered. Will it be voided? How do I check if I got lucky and they will both be valid?

I wouldn't take the chance. Ethical considerations aside,  United is very good at taking what's theirs.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 20, 2015, 11:20:41 PM »
I wouldn't take the chance. Ethical considerations aside,  United is very good at taking what's theirs.
Ethical considerations aside I am wondering if they would even realize at all. They issued one and then issued another. If they are both valid now why would that change? And what's the "chance"? Worst case scenario is they don't allow me to use it

Offline Sam Finkelstein

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 20, 2015, 11:27:05 PM »
Ethical considerations aside I am wondering if they would even realize at all. They issued one and then issued another. If they are both valid now why would that change? And what's the "chance"? Worst case scenario is they don't allow me to use it

It's a bad idea to mess with United. Even if works for now (which it probably won't), if they find out, you can either be held responsible for the difference or permanently banned.
Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil. –J. Paul Getty

Offline TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 20, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »
It's a bad idea to mess with United. Even if works for now (which it probably won't), if they find out, you can either be held responsible for the difference or permanently banned.
They would permanently ban over their own mistake ?

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 20, 2015, 11:33:19 PM »
Paying the difference is a risk I'm willing to take. As for being permanently banned from united over a $100 voucher they issued to me and never rescinded? I think I'll take that chance as well. But hey, I'm a gambling man/woman ;)

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 21, 2015, 05:38:14 PM »
On our recent trip to Europe and Israel, we experienced three events that I think are compensation-worthy. (trip report to follow, b'n).

1. Luggage delayed 72 hours.
2. DUB-AMS delayed ~3 hours, sitting on the tarmac for more than 2 hours. Mechanical.
3. LHR-FRA delayed ~ 3 hours. Mechanical.

I should mention everything was Avios-award travel.  But, if it's relevant, I think I used CSP for the taxes (does that get me insurance?)

1. Luggage. Aer Lingus, flew BOS-DUB, then DUB-AMS.  Priority tagged bag, no less! (Flew in J). Three of our four bags arrived in AMS, but mine didn't.  Bag eventually caught up with us at the WA in Jerusalem, in their beautiful lobby after we ate an amazing brunch (but I digress).  DW and I spent about $400 on clothing and makeup (for her, not me, though in truth, she doesn't need it and most people think I could use all the help I could get).  I submitted online form to get reimbursed for those expenses.  That was 10 days ago.  I guess I should PUTPAC soon.  Should I be asking for compensation beyond the reimbursement?

2. Mechanical delay, DUB-AMS on EI. Aircraft was already delayed getting into our gate by almost an hour.  Then we sat on the tarmac while they fixed a water pump for over 2 hours.  Essentially killed our day of sight-seeing in AMS. I completed the online form for this one, too, asking for 250Euros per person (3 of us flying), based on Notification of Rights under EC Regulation No 261.  Again, 10 days have passed, no reply.

3. Mechanical delay, LHR-FRA on BA. This was the most painful.  They said it was mechanical. We actually boarded mostly on time, but there was some issue, and after an hour, we all de-planed, and they then combined us with a flight that was scheduled to leave about 90 minutes later, which they conveniently cancelled and folded those folks into our flight, putting us all on a larger plane.   It sure smelled like they had two flights that made more sense to combine into one.    Our problem was that we had a connection in FRA (FRA-BOS) on a different carrier (LH). Even though we had left 4 hours for the layover (and I was even thinking about a quick Porsche rental!), I knew as we waited in LHR that we would be right up against the closing of the boarding door in FRA.  I asked the  BA gate agent if they would do something creative, like book us on the next LHR-BOS flight instead of sending us to FRA, but he looked at me like I had two heads.  Seemed pretty logical to me.  So, sure enough, we got to FRA, had to claim our bags, clear immig and customs (was pretty quick and smooth, but of course not instantaneous) and then go from T1 to T2 (or vice versa, can't remember) to get from BA to LH.  We arrived about 15 minutes before departure but LH wouldn't let us board, as we had luggage, and I guess I understand that. I suppose if we had been coming from another LH flight, they might have shown more consideration, but since we were coming from BA, they didn't feel the need to bend.

So, we ended up staying overnight in FRA (not the end of the world, but a hassle, all sorts of headache trying to get rebooked on the next day's LH flight -- I didn't mention that this was ticketed as an United award, and LH said they couldn't do anything with it. Eventually we got a United agent to talk to a LH agent and we got ticketed and got home before Shabbos so all was fine.    I completed the online request for compensation, asking for the 250Euro per person plus 200Euro for the hotel (we actually used 10,000 SPG points -- maybe that was a mistake, making compensation more difficult, but at the time I was tired and frustrated and wasn't thinking clearly).  I haven't heard back from BA in a week. Should I be asking them for anything more than the 250Euro x3 pax?  Again, it's really a shame they didn't just put us on the BA flight LHR-BOS.  I guess I could have and should have PUTPAC'd while at LHR and maybe gotten a supervisor to do that, but at the same time, we were holding out hope that maybe we would get to FRA and make our flight. 

Sorry for the prolonged story.  Maybe it's helpful to someone?  Shabbat shalom.

Offline Marco Polo

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 21, 2015, 05:58:59 PM »
Sounds very crazy.

For the luggage, the CSP should cover $100 a day for essentials after 24 hours IIRC. Look into that.

I'm don't really know much about the delays, but definitely PUTPAC and see what happens.

I totally get holding onto the hope for the LH flight, but i would have probably asked a couple other people to see if they could have helped.

Overall, hope you had a great trip. Maybe we will catch up when i'm in town over Sukkot.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 22, 2015, 10:38:44 PM »
Just realized I put $7 on my united card for each ticket I booked. Would that be enough to get anything from cc?

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 22, 2015, 11:06:58 PM »
Just realized I put $7 on my united card for each ticket I booked. Would that be enough to get anything from cc?

The taxes? Yes that should be enough.

Offline Jm1248

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 23, 2015, 01:55:07 AM »
The taxes? Yes that should be enough.
Do I need receipts or just proof that bag was delayed for more than 24 hours?