Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1117177 times)

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2280 on: December 24, 2015, 10:29:01 AM »
Nobody said they owe you.

Maybe don't allow animals on the plane, since their bowel movements can't be controlled ?!
I don't think that's fair to other passengers, to have them sit 5-6 hours in a cabin that smells like DREK.

That sure sounds like you think the airline owes you if I am reading it correctly.

Also, if diapers can be changed and thrown out, why can't somebody take the dogs poop, put it in a bag, and throw it down the toilet? Seems fairly similar to the baby situation.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: December 24, 2015, 10:32:19 AM »

Wrong.

They have an obligation to ensure their planes are operating in good condition. When they fall short of that obligation, they usually compensate.

They do not have an obligation to ensure a mother changes a smelly baby.

If you don't see the fundamental difference between those two, I'm not sure anything I say will help.
You referred to getting compensation for things out of there control. So I said not all delays are in their control.
I didn't say the have an obligation to prevent dirty diapers, but I don't see why it's so wrong to ask for compensation for sitting through a long flight, in a cabin that stunk like crap the whole way.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: December 24, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »
You referred to getting compensation for things out of there control. So I said not all delays are in their control.
I didn't say the have an obligation to prevent dirty diapers, but I don't see why it's so wrong to ask for compensation for sitting through a long flight, in a cabin that stunk like crap the whole way.

Why not ask a stewardess to ask the dog owner to clean the crap on the floor and dump it in the bathroom? Why sit through the whole flight with the bad smell just to maybe get compensation that you might not get?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline rileywiles23

• View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: December 24, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »

Why not ask a stewardess to ask the dog owner to clean the crap on the floor and dump it in the bathroom? Why sit through the whole flight with the bad smell just to maybe get compensation that you might not get?
Ever tried getting poop out of fabric ?! The smell doesn't go way that fast.

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2284 on: December 24, 2015, 10:37:07 AM »

Delays not in their control, e.g. weather,  are *not* compensated.

While you're asking, you may as well also ask them for compensation due to the fact that the air fresheners in the uber to the airport weren't to your liking. In fact, you thought they smelled like crap. Maybe they'll throw you a bone.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline dealfinder85

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: December 24, 2015, 10:37:32 AM »
Ever tried getting poop out of fabric ?! The smell doesn't go way that fast.
thankfully, no

Offline rileywiles23

• View Profile
Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2286 on: December 24, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »
That sure sounds like you think the airline owes you if I am reading it correctly.

Also, if diapers can be changed and thrown out, why can't somebody take the dogs poop, put it in a bag, and throw it down the toilet? Seems fairly similar to the baby situation.
I don't think they owe me anything. I just feel that's it's not out of this world, for there to be a mandatory rule to have to diaper your pet, just like people do for children, to avoid these type of issues.

Offline rileywiles23

• View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: December 24, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »

While you're asking, you may as well also ask them for compensation due to the fact that the air fresheners in the uber to the airport weren't to your liking. In fact, you thought they smelled like crap. Maybe they'll throw you a bone.
If my uber car had crap in its carpet, then yes I would ask for compensation.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
If my uber car had crap in its carpet, then yes I would ask for compensation.

And if you Uber-Pool'd with someone that had a dog and suddenly crapped on the floor you would ask Uber for compensation, assuming Uber's overarching policy was to allow pets?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2289 on: December 24, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »
And if you Uber-Pool'd with someone that had a dog and suddenly crapped on the floor you would ask Uber for compensation, assuming Uber's overarching policy was to allow pets?

Correct. OP, you're comparing apples to hand grenades. Can't hope to bring proof from an entirely different example.

I don't think they owe me anything. I just feel that's it's not out of this world, for there to be a mandatory rule to have to diaper your pet, just like people do for children, to avoid these type of issues.

Uhm, the fact that you're in this thread presumes you think they owe you something.

And, while *you* may feel/hope/expect/pray that there is a mandatory rule, there is not. When you run an airline, you can institute one.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ah

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: December 24, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
FWIW the flight attendant asked the mom in the seat in front of me to change her kids diaper. Was in the nicest way possible "there's a changing table in the restroom for you to change the baby's diaper, follow me and I'll show you". That really sucks about the dog I'd be miserable. 

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: December 24, 2015, 01:07:54 PM »
Their rules are they *do* allow animals on the plane. You're charged with knowing, understanding, and consenting to their rules when you fly.

If you don't like it, you're more than welcome to drive to your destination.
Or fly an airline that does NOT allow pets in the cabin.

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: December 24, 2015, 01:59:47 PM »
Or fly an airline that does NOT allow pets in the cabin.
They still allow service animals (which IMHO is 99% Bovine fecal matter)

But kudos to the Brits, last time in the UK i had to spend a bit of time in immigration (worth a TR by itself) and they were giving a woman a hard time with her "service animal" and really being so sweet to her and at the same time not allowing the animal wander around England w/o proper docs from their vets. (and she was a transit passenger, not sure of the whole story)

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: December 24, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »
(which IMHO is 99% Bovine fecal matter)
  Love it.
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: December 30, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »
BA advertises their Club World (Business) as lie-flat. Just took the 744 and none of the seats in the Upper Deck were lie-flat. Was actually very surprised. How do i go about getting compensation and what is it worth?

Also, meal was frozen solid. Pointed it out to FA and she said she would mention to her supervisor. What's that worth and to whom do i spea. This was AARP deal, so full revenue ticket as far as they were concerned.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2295 on: December 30, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
You *say* they weren't lie flat? Or they actually weren't? AFAIK, BA doesn't have any trans-atl angle flat.

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: December 30, 2015, 05:18:56 PM »
You *say* they weren't lie flat? Or they actually weren't? AFAIK, BA doesn't have any trans-atl angle flat.
I have pics to prove they didnt lie flat at all. They made it to the recline position and that was all. In lie flat the seat and foot rest would meet at some point. There was a 2 foot gap between the seat and the foot rest. I'm not "saying" anything. It was 744 upper deck. I didnt see anyone lay flat. The seat had the"___" button but in never worked. Check my wife's seat too and it didnt lie flat either. then looked around and took not that the whole cabin was like that. Was a really old plane with old map and IFE system. They had to restart that twice before it worked without static. The FS's were pissed they had to do manual safety demonstration.

And the vaunted HERMOLIS food was rancid Lamb and rice. Pasta appetizer frozen solid. Will include pics in TR. 
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: December 30, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
POIDH

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: December 30, 2015, 10:54:37 PM »

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: January 01, 2016, 10:50:37 AM »
BA advertises their Club World (Business) as lie-flat. Just took the 744 and none of the seats in the Upper Deck were lie-flat. Was actually very surprised. How do i go about getting compensation and what is it worth?

Also, meal was frozen solid. Pointed it out to FA and she said she would mention to her supervisor. What's that worth and to whom do i spea. This was AARP deal, so full revenue ticket as far as they were concerned.

I have pics to prove they didnt lie flat at all. They made it to the recline position and that was all. In lie flat the seat and foot rest would meet at some point. There was a 2 foot gap between the seat and the foot rest. I'm not "saying" anything. It was 744 upper deck. I didnt see anyone lay flat. The seat had the"___" button but in never worked. Check my wife's seat too and it didnt lie flat either. then looked around and took not that the whole cabin was like that. Was a really old plane with old map and IFE system. They had to restart that twice before it worked without static. The FA's were pissed they had to do manual safety demonstration.

And the vaunted HERMOLIS food was rancid Lamb and rice. Pasta appetizer frozen solid. Will include pics in TR.
BUMP