Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1117407 times)

Offline knowitall

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2500 on: March 27, 2016, 08:42:05 AM »
United delayed and then cancelled EWR-TLV and rebooked pax for 22 hours later. After asking for the 3,000 shekel they responded with a $300 voucher and this:
"We have again reviewed your request for cash compensation and found that we complied with all the applicable regulations at the time of your flight.

I understand that the delay was, at best, very frustrating and truly regret you were disappointed. Please let me explain why cash compensation is not applicable under the Israeli Air Passenger Law. Because all routine preventative maintenance actions were performed on the aircraft as scheduled, and the cancellation could not have been reasonably predicted or avoided, the event is considered force majeure and exclusionary to the mandatory compensation rules.

Please know that our legal department carefully reviews each of these matters with our system and technical operations groups to ensure we are in full compliance with the appropriate legal standards. Although the cause of the irregularity was extraordinary and unable to be avoided, we did what we could to minimize it, and have nothing further to advise at this point.

Because we do recognize that your flight plans were negatively impacted, as a tangible gesture of our regret, we proactively sent each passenger who we had contact information for, an electronic travel certificate valid toward a discount on a future United flight.

Although additional compensation is not forthcoming, we sincerely hope that you will choose to fly with United Airlines in the future."
Mechanical issues are a "force majeure"?????
did they ever try that on anyone else?

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: March 27, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »
what can I get on AA for not getting ksml ?
premium economy, lhr jfk,

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: March 28, 2016, 02:01:58 PM »
They are crap. Don't give up. You flight to TLV was delayed. End of story.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1696505-united-refusing-pay-comp-under-israel-aviation-services-law-5.html

We're talking a difference of $185 of what  really entitled to vs what they gave - a $200 voucher

As it turns out, I got credited for both the original flights on UA AND 1.5x on LH so I got an extra 11,500 pqm as well which basically erases the difference and puts me in striking distance of premier platinum...

I will reply to them to press the point but I think it worked out for the best

Offline emak

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: March 28, 2016, 09:46:02 PM »
Flew month ago NYC-YYZ on AA and got delayed over an hour. Submitted request for compensation and got denied. Any way to try again or just forget it?

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: March 28, 2016, 09:53:10 PM »
Flew month ago NYC-YYZ on AA and got delayed over an hour. Submitted request for compensation and got denied. Any way to try again or just forget it?
SMH

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #2505 on: March 28, 2016, 11:51:33 PM »
where/how do I submit my complaint to AA ?

Offline eliraps

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: March 30, 2016, 04:58:11 AM »
Customer relations form on their website

Online chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #2507 on: March 30, 2016, 03:19:57 PM »
@KolHaolam BRAZIL: German airline Lufthansa ordered to pay nearly $1,400 to a Brazilian Jewish passenger for not serving him kosher food he ordered.

https://twitter.com/KolHaolam/status/715242237198778368

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: March 30, 2016, 05:09:07 PM »
Customer relations form on their website
thanx

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: April 01, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »
What can I expect for no KSML on LX J EWR-ZRH award flight? My M&M profile says preferred meal is Kosher. Booking was linked to my profile.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: April 01, 2016, 05:29:41 PM »

What can I expect for no KSML on LX J EWR-ZRH award flight? My M&M profile says preferred meal is Kosher. Booking was linked to my profile.

You are gonna push for $1400 too now?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: April 01, 2016, 05:35:12 PM »

You are gonna push for $1400 too now?
I saw that and I dont think i have the ___ to even go there. I did get BA to give me $500 voucher recently, but that was for no lie flat plus food.
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline LoLo

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: April 03, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »
5k AA per passenger for 3h delay on PIT-LGA flight in Y, no status.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: April 03, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »
Hi My name is *** *****,

I would first like to say that I am a very loyal united customer and I
was very shocked when the following happened.

I had booked a ticket for myself, my wife and my small child. When I
booked the ticket I had spent on the phone with united appox.  2-3 hours
on the phone adding my small child to my tickets. I not only spoke once
I spoke twice and I made sure that all was added correctly.
Also this was my first time flying First and was expecting for this to
be the trip to be remembered.

To my shock and surprise when I arrived to the airport (Remember all
things take longer as I am traveling with a child) and I went to the
desk to the check-in. I was shock to find out that my child was not
added on to the first leg of my trip!! [Update: They said that it was there but that
it was not done correctly, meaning someone messed up when they added him on.
Not only that but they had to remove him from my wife's ticket in order to put through the ticket.
They told me that if someone does not contact United he will not be able to fly the second leg either]

Being that it was very early in the morning and I was very tired not
sleeping the night before this was just all I needed at that hour!

Going through a few reps no one had enough time to go and contact United
since we were scared that it would take too much time and I would end up
missing the flight.

Having no much choice in the matter the Supervisor was very nice and
immediately called Lufthansa and had them go over the ticket. Seeing no
other choice we had to pay FULL FARE for my child to fly with us on this
short 4 hour flight! The total cost for this was $1073.35! This is
without saying that I had already paid to united $786.16 for him to be
added. ( I am attaching the Receipt of the ticket)

Had all gone well from there...... but things didn't stop there. Running
through the airport (with a small child) I barely made my flight with
about 5 min. to closing the doors. As soon as I got onto the plane I
took a look as the tickets only to see that all my Luggage was NOT
INTERLINED! Meaning that I will have I will have to run through the
airport in FRA with 5 50-70 pound bags with pushing a child in a
carriage!

[I then contact my father (remember its 5 AM and he didn't sleep yet) and
he went back and forth with united and thank god they added him correctly to the second flight.
He went to sleep at 9AM after spending 3 hours on the phone.]

When I landed i had to go though security, passport control and run to the baggage carousel.
Since this flight had landed 1 hour late I had 1:20 to get 5 50-70 LB bags with a child in a carrage.
After going through security and running though the airport i made it there with 20 min to spare.

Had thing gone well from there......

When I got to the plane out of sweating away there was someone in my seat so I had to
Stand there for 5 minutes until they corrected the situation. Remember this is first class I don't expect such a mistake to happen!

Then somehow some way there was no kosher food for me, I dont know how but that got lost
somewhere along the way since if i am not mistaken i ordered it.

And to finish things off the wifi didn't work!! So I was unable to do any work on the flight.

I dont know what to say but i am expect some major compensation!

Think I will get anything?
Money talks...mine says goodbye!

Offline sedge

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: April 03, 2016, 09:03:17 PM »
I would remove the last sentence and rephrase it.

Offline lubaby

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: April 03, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
Now if only the wifi would've worked and I could've written this letter of complaint while sitting comfortably on the plane..

Dayenu!!

Offline elya

• View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: April 04, 2016, 12:39:30 AM »
Now if only the wifi would've worked and I could've written this letter of complaint while sitting comfortably on the plane..

Dayenu!!
Lol. I guess I wasn't the only one thinking of Dayenu while reading that...

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: April 04, 2016, 09:06:57 AM »
Lol. I guess I wasn't the only one thinking of Dayenu while reading that...
I was too when I wrote it

Offline hvaces42

• View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: April 04, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »
They didn't offer me $1,400 plus mileage...but i took the 5k M&M and said thank you.

Offline yakov116

• View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: April 05, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »
Hi My name is *** *****,

I would first like to say that I am a very loyal united customer and I
was very shocked when the following happened.

I had booked a ticket for myself, my wife and my small child. When I
booked the ticket I had spent on the phone with united appox.  2-3 hours
on the phone adding my small child to my tickets. I not only spoke once
I spoke twice and I made sure that all was added correctly.
Also this was my first time flying First and was expecting for this to
be the trip to be remembered.

With the help of a DDF'er i rewrote it.

Hi and thank you for responding,

In what you wrote about adding him onto the Lufthansa flight and being issued from Singapore,

1. The flight was issued from singapore, ,BUT when i spoke to United I CONFIRMED 8-9 times (if you want you can listen to the recording) that he is on the TLV - FRA flight.

2. I can show you the email (I will upload it as a PDF) that United added him on.

3. The reason United was involved: since I needed infant ticket and the FRA - EWR ticket was from United.

4. This is not the first time United added an infant for me on another carrier. On the way to TLV they booked it for me on Austrian Airlines and there were no issues with that ticket.
If you want to look up that to look up that its, Confirmation number: *****. Not only was the ticket setup by united but the charge was too. I have attached that receipt of that charge so you can look it up.

Since you have done this before for me and one leg was operated by United, I contacted you again. If I remember correctly, your agent contacted Lufthansa to make sure my son was on the ticket.

Going Back to my story i will copy and paste what I wrote to you and i will update with more info. So please reread  from the beginning.

Hi My name is *** *****,

I would first like to say that I am a very loyal United customer and I was very shocked when the following happened.

I booked my tickets through Singapore’s KrisFlyer. I booked a ticket for myself, my wife and my small child on United with the first leg on a short Lufthansa flight. After I confirmed the tickets with Singapore for myself and my wife, I contacted United, to add my child onto the tickets. After 2 -3 phone calls, each at least an hour long, United told me that my small child had been added to my tickets.
Knowing that there can be issues that come up, I called not once, but twice to make sure that he was added correctly. The agent then confirmed to me that all is ok and I looked online and everything looked fine.

This was my first time flying United First and I was expecting this to be a trip to be remembered.
But unfortunately to my shock and surprise, when I arrived at the airport with all my suitcases (all 5 of them) together with pushing my child in a carriage. I went to the desk to the check-in only to find out that my child was not added to the first leg. When I spoke to the Supervisor she told me they  saw that it was there, but done incorrectly. To add him now, they had to remove him from my wife's ticket and he would have to be re ticketed. She also noted that  if United wasn’t contacted, he would not be able to fly the second leg too!
I think this points to a problem that was caused by United when they ticketed my son and had nothing to do with Lufthansa.

After talking to a few ground agents and a supervisor, it was decided not to spend time contacting United then since we were concerned that it would take too much time and we would miss the flight.

Since it was very early in the morning, and I was very tired from not sleeping the night before, I found this quite exasperating!

Since we had not much choice in the matter, the Supervisor was very nice and immediately called Lufthansa and had them review the ticket. They priced for us a child full fare business seat (C Class) at $1073.35 for my child to fly with us on this short 4 hour flight! This is in addition to the $786.16 that I had already paid to United for him to be added. (I am attaching the Receipt of the ticket.)

After spending so much time trying to work this out, it was very late and they were about to close the flight. I just paid the for the ticket, checked everything in and ran through the airport with my wife trailing behind pushing my small child. We barely made my flight with about 5 min. to closing the doors.

As soon as I got onto the plane I took a look at the ticket,s only to see that my Luggage was NOT INTERLINED! Meaning that I will have to run through the airport in FRA with 5 50-70 pound bags while pushing a child in a carriage! This would have not happened had all been correct in the first place.

[I then contacted my father (remember its 5 AM and he didn't sleep yet) and he spent 3 hours on the phone back and forth with united and thank god they added my son correctly to the second flight. He went to sleep at 9AM after spending 3 hours on the phone.]

When I landed in FRA I had to go through security, passport control and run to the baggage carousel.  Since this flight landed 1 hour late I had 1:20 to get 5 50-70 LB bags with a child in a carriage.  After going through security and running through the airport I made it there with 20 min to spare.

Had thing gone well from there......

When I got onto the plane after rushing through the airport, there was someone in my seat. After finding waiting about 5 minutes until they corrected the situation. Remember this is first class I don't expect such a mistake to happen! This was a major inconvenience since we were knocked out from running through 2 airports.

I have heard from all my friends the the food on United's First Global is amazing. But to our dismay somehow there was no kosher food for me, I don’t know how but that got lost somewhere along the way since if I am not mistaken, I ordered it.

Giving up on my food I attempted to work and…. The wifi does not work on the flight.

I hope to have better experiences in the future and be compensated for all that we had to go through.

Anyone have comments?