Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1146225 times)

Offline Joe4007

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2660 on: July 28, 2016, 12:21:45 PM »
Ok, so here's what AA did to me on Monday. Had a flight booked from PHL-ALB to take the Bar exam. Flight was scheduled for 2pm, kept getting delayed because they didn't have a crew, and then when they finally did get a crew together, they cancelled it because of weather. Had to run to Hertz to get into a rental car to drive to ALB in the pouring rain so that I didn't miss the Bar. I plan on raising hell with them regardless of how good my chances are of getting compensated because I just need to get it off my chest lol, but realistically, can I expect anything?
Not really. AA has become REAL bad! They just don't care. I gotta say, I thought Dan's story was an isolated incident, but after my experience with them 2 weeks ago, I don't see how they're going to survive too long like this.

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: July 28, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
Ok, so here's what AA did to me on Monday. Had a flight booked from PHL-ALB to take the Bar exam. Flight was scheduled for 2pm, kept getting delayed because they didn't have a crew, and then when they finally did get a crew together, they cancelled it because of weather. Had to run to Hertz to get into a rental car to drive to ALB in the pouring rain so that I didn't miss the Bar. I plan on raising hell with them regardless of how good my chances are of getting compensated because I just need to get it off my chest lol, but realistically, can I expect anything?
What card was the flight booked on?

You might be covered for trip cancellation that will cover the cost of the rental and gas etc..
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:49:47 PM by lubaby »

Offline CS91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: July 28, 2016, 12:49:12 PM »
What card was the flight booked on?

You might be covered for trip cancellation that will cover the cost of the rental and gas etc..
My firm covered the flight and rental car and they booked it so I don't need reimbursement for anything. More that I want something for the stress and ridiculousness of not having a crew.

Offline Joe4007

• View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: July 29, 2016, 12:15:12 PM »
after my experience with them 2 weeks ago
So here's the story.

I was booked on AA953 JFK-EZE in J for my BIL's wedding the following night. Trouble started with AA953 being delayed by 10 hours (due to incoming aircraft being delayed/canceled) which would've had me miss part of the wedding. I hopped on the phone right away and after 45 minutes on the phone I finally got them to rebook me on AA1037 / AA931 EWR-MIA-EZE with the first leg in economy.

I ran to the airport - good thing I had everything ready in the car as I was supposed to leave 4 hours later. AA1037 pushed from the gate on time only to wait around for about an hour on the tarmac due to weather issues in Miami after which we flew some obscure route and by the time we disembarked at 10:10PM they'd already closed the doors at the connecting flight leaving at 10:20PM (FTR, it ended up being delayed by 10-15 minutes, but they said the door is already closed and they won't let me board). While I was still in the air I noticed that they rebooked me on a flight for the following day (22 hours later).

I ran to the rebooking desk and after waiting in line for 15 minutes the agent informs me there's nothing she can do. I begged and asked to be put on a TAM flight to Rio and I'll even take care of the Rio to Buenos Aires segment myself, but no dice. She claimed she can't do anything and a manager won't be around for the next hour. She told me to call AA reservations and said they'll be able to help. Of course after spending a valuable hour on the phone with reps and supervisors I didn't get anywhere. They kept on saying they can't put me on TAM as their system wouldn't confirm the seat (though they were still selling tickets online) and just refused to put me on aerolineas Argentinas the next morning as they don't have an agreement with them. They wouldn't even fly me back to New York to try and get back on my original flight.

So I return to the rebooking desk, wait in line for another half hour and finally get an agent willing to rebook me on LATAM via Lima having me arrive in Buenos Aires at 3:00PM. Of course she said she can only book me in economy, but at this point I was ready to take anything to get out of there. I ask her what's with my luggage and she says that American will transfer it to LATAM for the onward journey. I asked for food vouchers, but they wouldn't give any as the delay was due to ATC...

I got to Lima early morning and as I proceed to my connecting gate I learn that the LIM-EZE flight is canceled due to maintenance! I wait in line for another hour and they rebook me on LIM-SCL-EZE.

Of course both flights were delayed by about an hour. I ended getting into Buenos Aires at 6:00PM after 24 hours of flying and late to a wedding that has already started.

I headed to baggage claim, and after waiting half an hour with none of my bags in sight the agents told me my bags will come with the next flight. I decided to wait another half hour until the next flight arrived as I needed clothes for the wedding. As you can guess, my bags weren't on the next flight.

After wasting more time to open a claim for my missing bags, I finally got a taxi and headed out to the wedding. I arrived mid Chupa with my hoodie and backpack and had to borrow clothes for the wedding.

I ended up getting my luggage 24 hours later, and it came from Miami - which I suppose means that AA never transferred it to LATAM.

I emailed AA with all the details and explained my frustration. I was overwhelmed by their good-heartedness... They'll "review and consider" my refund eligibility for difference of class of service. And guess what, as a "gesture of goodwill" they were going to give me 10k bonus miles. Can you believe that?! How generous... One of the reps even dropped the following gem: "Let me explain why we can't offer anything else. It's because we don't guarantee our flights"...

Offline CS91

• View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 29, 2016, 03:12:27 PM »
6,500 miles.

Offline rileywiles23

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
    • CardCenter - Discounted gift cards
« Reply #2665 on: July 29, 2016, 04:21:12 PM »
Jet blue. Broken IFE, and a mess up with the departure times. $80 JetBlue travel bank.
Life is as good as you make it...

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 29, 2016, 07:27:25 PM »
Jet blue. Broken IFE, and a mess up with the departure times. $80 JetBlue travel bank.

JFK-BOS??? :)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 30, 2016, 11:09:26 PM »
So here's the story.

I was booked on AA953 JFK-EZE in J for my BIL's wedding the following night. Trouble started with AA953 being delayed by 10 hours (due to incoming aircraft being delayed/canceled) which would've had me miss part of the wedding. I hopped on the phone right away and after 45 minutes on the phone I finally got them to rebook me on AA1037 / AA931 EWR-MIA-EZE with the first leg in economy.

I ran to the airport - good thing I had everything ready in the car as I was supposed to leave 4 hours later. AA1037 pushed from the gate on time only to wait around for about an hour on the tarmac due to weather issues in Miami after which we flew some obscure route and by the time we disembarked at 10:10PM they'd already closed the doors at the connecting flight leaving at 10:20PM (FTR, it ended up being delayed by 10-15 minutes, but they said the door is already closed and they won't let me board). While I was still in the air I noticed that they rebooked me on a flight for the following day (22 hours later).

I ran to the rebooking desk and after waiting in line for 15 minutes the agent informs me there's nothing she can do. I begged and asked to be put on a TAM flight to Rio and I'll even take care of the Rio to Buenos Aires segment myself, but no dice. She claimed she can't do anything and a manager won't be around for the next hour. She told me to call AA reservations and said they'll be able to help. Of course after spending a valuable hour on the phone with reps and supervisors I didn't get anywhere. They kept on saying they can't put me on TAM as their system wouldn't confirm the seat (though they were still selling tickets online) and just refused to put me on aerolineas Argentinas the next morning as they don't have an agreement with them. They wouldn't even fly me back to New York to try and get back on my original flight.

So I return to the rebooking desk, wait in line for another half hour and finally get an agent willing to rebook me on LATAM via Lima having me arrive in Buenos Aires at 3:00PM. Of course she said she can only book me in economy, but at this point I was ready to take anything to get out of there. I ask her what's with my luggage and she says that American will transfer it to LATAM for the onward journey. I asked for food vouchers, but they wouldn't give any as the delay was due to ATC...

I got to Lima early morning and as I proceed to my connecting gate I learn that the LIM-EZE flight is canceled due to maintenance! I wait in line for another hour and they rebook me on LIM-SCL-EZE.

Of course both flights were delayed by about an hour. I ended getting into Buenos Aires at 6:00PM after 24 hours of flying and late to a wedding that has already started.

I headed to baggage claim, and after waiting half an hour with none of my bags in sight the agents told me my bags will come with the next flight. I decided to wait another half hour until the next flight arrived as I needed clothes for the wedding. As you can guess, my bags weren't on the next flight.

After wasting more time to open a claim for my missing bags, I finally got a taxi and headed out to the wedding. I arrived mid Chupa with my hoodie and backpack and had to borrow clothes for the wedding.

I ended up getting my luggage 24 hours later, and it came from Miami - which I suppose means that AA never transferred it to LATAM.

I emailed AA with all the details and explained my frustration. I was overwhelmed by their good-heartedness... They'll "review and consider" my refund eligibility for difference of class of service. And guess what, as a "gesture of goodwill" they were going to give me 10k bonus miles. Can you believe that?! How generous... One of the reps even dropped the following gem: "Let me explain why we can't offer anything else. It's because we don't guarantee our flights"...
OMG. AA=#FAAil.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2668 on: July 31, 2016, 10:04:04 PM »
United flight domestic delayed 3 hours as they were waiting for a plane to come in. What can I expect?

Offline dpk4588

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: August 01, 2016, 08:11:29 AM »
We'll see what I get. I'll report in the airline compensation thread.
Return flight on my JetBlue mileage run (thankfully it wasn't my outbound flight). 2 hour mechanical delay BOS-EWR. Automatically received $50 travel bank credit. It was just barely 2 hours. We were scheduled to leave at 9:20a, when they finally finished working on the plane, they said our new departure time was 11a, but since we didn't leave till 11:22a I got $50, instead of the $25 I would have gotten if we left at 11a.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #2670 on: August 01, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
OK here is my story I booked a flight on British Airways from Newark to Tel Aviv stopping in London in paid business class( Part of the Old Dansdeals) the first leg was delayed but the flight was okay. On the way back I was involuntarily bumped off of my flight they offered me economy class to London
late in the day but I wanted business class so they you booked me on a flight on wall the next day to JFK. Of course and I was not nearly as nice as British Airways can I expect some sort of compensation for this?

Offline ilherman

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: August 01, 2016, 11:05:31 PM »
Sure. You can even ask for European and/or Israeli mandatory compensation. 
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #2672 on: August 01, 2016, 11:38:41 PM »
I asked for Israeli I didn't know there was a European one can I ask for both?

Offline shulem92

• View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: August 02, 2016, 09:02:18 PM »
elal (booked with aa) TLV-JFK with stopover in france. "mechanical issues" in Israel, missed connecting flight in france. they put me up in a hotel overnight. can I get anything for it?

Offline E-MAN

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: August 04, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
Just heard back from ElAl on 10+ hour delay and they obviously made some story up about why they don't owe me any compensation even according to Israeli law. They did give me $200 voucher per person which I guess is better than nothing.

Offline Super Speed

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis First, National Executive Elite, Sixt Platinum.
« Reply #2675 on: August 04, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
Just heard back from ElAl on 10+ hour delay and they obviously made some story up about why they don't owe me any compensation even according to Israeli law. They did give me $200 voucher per person which I guess is better than nothing.
Lucky you because me they didn't even give me the $200

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: August 04, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »
flew AA biz class was served solid frozen meals. I sent in a complain online with no response. called in and they said that customer service is avail via email only

Offline zow

• View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: August 08, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »
http://ble.ac/2aFOwuQ

What should he ask for from AAmerican?  Do we think he'll get more than Dan got for his fiAAsco?

HT: my son for finding and sending this link to me. :)

Offline Yitzshpitz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: August 08, 2016, 03:42:49 PM »

Are people getting compensated or receiving vouchers for delayed/cancelled DL flights today? Im flying Delta tonight and app says its already been delayed an hour (will most probably be even more)

Offline Dawie

• View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: August 08, 2016, 03:55:50 PM »
http://ble.ac/2aFOwuQ

What should he ask for from AAmerican?  Do we think he'll get more than Dan got for his fiAAsco?

HT: my son for finding and sending this link to me. :)
Brazilian's dont want ARG's to win, GIG is hiding them