Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099194 times)

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #320 on: August 20, 2012, 09:36:03 AM »
Is there any other way to use an AA e-voucher besides for paying for a flight?
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline Fan of Dan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 20, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »
I tend to think you get better responses when emailing but you could call first.

Did you get any sort of compensation for your luggage being delayed 3 days?
We lost 2 bags but only got 75 USD since was under 1 name. As we were in a resort area there was no clothing to buy so we just ended up wearing the same clothing!

Part of my complaint is that I told the check in agent that we have a tight connection to COPA and asked if it could be marked priority. We were on a partial biz ticket so had 3 bags at 70 lbs, which showed it was part of a biz ticket. She smirked at us and said how do you do think everyone flying coach will get their bags! In the end of course everyone flying coach did not get their bags.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 20, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
We lost 2 bags but only got 75 USD since was under 1 name. As we were in a resort area there was no clothing to buy so we just ended up wearing the same clothing!

Part of my complaint is that I told the check in agent that we have a tight connection to COPA and asked if it could be marked priority. We were on a partial biz ticket so had 3 bags at 70 lbs, which showed it was part of a biz ticket. She smirked at us and said how do you do think everyone flying coach will get their bags! In the end of course everyone flying coach did not get their bags.

Got it. Well you could try calling and see what they have to offer you before writing a letter.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Yeki89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 20, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
freind united called
delayed 10 hours
p. rico - ewr

10k or $250 e-ticket

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 20, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
freind united called
delayed 10 hours
p. rico - ewr

10k or $250 e-ticket

Reason for delay?

"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline eis517

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG, United
« Reply #325 on: August 20, 2012, 02:28:47 PM »
Airline: United
Flight: ewr-yyz
Class: Economy
Incident: Flight cancelled and customer service agents left desk. Then, wasnt given luggage back and luggage wasnt on my rebooked flight.
Compensation: $175 travel voucher and $50 gift card

My 835 PM flight was cancelled at about 1030. After waing in line for half hour, agents left. No new agents came. I was rebooked for a flight the next day after calling customer service. I went to collect my luggage and was told that I could not take it- that it would be on my flight the next day. Well, after being delayed another 3.5 hours the next day, my luggage wasnt there for me when I landed.

I emailed the CEO of United and a week later I got  a response from Customer Service appologizing and offering me a $175 travel voucher and a $50 American Express gift card to cover the clothing I had to buy.

I am pretty happy with it.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:07 PM »
Airline: United
Flight: ewr-yyz
Class: Economy
Incident: Flight cancelled and customer service agents left desk. Then, wasnt given luggage back and luggage wasnt on my rebooked flight.
Compensation: $175 travel voucher and $50 gift card

My 835 PM flight was cancelled at about 1030. After waing in line for half hour, agents left. No new agents came. I was rebooked for a flight the next day after calling customer service. I went to collect my luggage and was told that I could not take it- that it would be on my flight the next day. Well, after being delayed another 3.5 hours the next day, my luggage wasnt there for me when I landed.

I emailed the CEO of United and a week later I got  a response from Customer Service appologizing and offering me a $175 travel voucher and a $50 American Express gift card to cover the clothing I had to buy.

I am pretty happy with it.

So you never ended up getting your luggage, or you got it 2 days late? $50 of clothes isn't much (the $150 was for your hassle, not to cover clothing).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »
what is the best email address to email United a complaint?

Offline CholentTheTraveler

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Delta Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, United, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold
« Reply #328 on: August 20, 2012, 11:55:50 PM »
Def go after it. Kid falling down in the crib they installed is/should be a big deal
Trying but still no response after  days(hoping due to the situation they are looking in). If no response is received soon should I call and follow up?

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 21, 2012, 01:09:02 AM »
Trying but still no response after  days(hoping due to the situation they are looking in). If no response is received soon should I call and follow up?
Try tweeting them.

Offline outinstyle

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:46 PM »
Here’s the scenario:
Last night (Weds night) my daughter (16) was already checked in to fly on United from ORD –LGA.
Flight gets delayed then canceled due to weather.
Luggage already left (???) & is already in LGA. (I thought luggage can’t fly without a pass??)

United tells her that the EARLIEST they can rebook is Friday AM (almost two days later). She calls me crying that she cannot stay in the airport two days without a change of clothes (her luggage was already gone) and wants me to rebook a new flight.
I find a non-refundable seat on AA for $400 and book it. It leaves 7:00 this AM (Thursday – one day earlier).
One hour later, I get a call that they were able to get her on a United flight at the same time but flying to EWR instead of LGA.
I call AA & am told “Sorry, none refundable”. HUCA, same answer.

Question #1:  Should I have told her to fly United & try getting some sort of compensation from AA (or AMEX) for the flight not taken? Or, should she have taken the AA flight – already paid for – and then try to get some compensation from United (it was weather related – not their fault).

Question #2: I decided that she should take the AA flight, since it leaves a bit earlier & goes to LGA vs EWR. The AA flt ended on leaving on time & the new United flight (which she was already checked in, but didn’t fly) was delayed again for a few hours. What now? Can I request some sort of compensation? Can I try to get some of my AA ticket compensated? Can I complain about the fact that the luggage left without her causing me to make a second trip to the airport (different airport then the new booked ticked) to pick up the luggage? Can I request some compensation for the overnight accommodations & food if the delay wasn’t their fault? What if anything should/can I request for best results?

Any input is appreciated!

Just received my reply today :-(

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

It appears that your daughter **** was travelling with a large group, on a group record, with the Group, with a group leader.

I understand your concerns regarding her baggage being transported on another flight to Newark, after the flight cancellation.  Please allow
me  to explain.   

All baggage clears several security checks prior to being boarded on our aircraft.  Positive bag matching and baggage security screening occurs at the original boarding airport.  Had there been a problem with the baggage, it would not have cleared the security checks and would not have been boarded on the aircraft at all.

Although it is not illegal for a customer to travel without her baggage, it is our goal to deliver every customer’s bag with the customer as a service standard as well as a safety measure.  I am sorry that we let you down.  In situations such as you described, due to the weather related event, the baggage was boarded on the Newark flight as an alternative destination and there was not enough time to remove it prior to departure once the customer was confirmed into LGA.  It was for this reason that the bag was transported without your daughter.   Please be assured United Airlines upholds the highest safety standards in the industry and we will always take appropriate measures to achieve this objective. 

We understand how frustrating it can be when travel plans are interrupted.  Our staff offered the best options under the circumstances. I regret we left you with an unfavorable impression of our service. 

When weather or Air Traffic Control causes the delay or cancellation of our flights, both situations that are beyond the control of any carrier, according to our Contract of Carriage, which you will find at United.com, we are not required to provide hotel, food vouchers or compensation.  As the cause of the delay was weather related, I must decline your request for compensation.
We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Regards,

Marc Mayka
Customer Care Manager

Offline al613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 23, 2012, 07:38:13 PM »
Keep complaining, but write fresh email. Don't reply to what you got.  Email both onepass@coair.com and Customer.Relations@united.com. Keep emailing and asking for supervisor. Include AA receipt. Also, mail them a regular letter. Also fax them 605-343-0215. You have a good chance for compensation.

Just received my reply today :-(

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

It appears that your daughter **** was travelling with a large group, on a group record, with the Group, with a group leader.

I understand your concerns regarding her baggage being transported on another flight to Newark, after the flight cancellation.  Please allow
me  to explain.   

All baggage clears several security checks prior to being boarded on our aircraft.  Positive bag matching and baggage security screening occurs at the original boarding airport.  Had there been a problem with the baggage, it would not have cleared the security checks and would not have been boarded on the aircraft at all.

Although it is not illegal for a customer to travel without her baggage, it is our goal to deliver every customer’s bag with the customer as a service standard as well as a safety measure.  I am sorry that we let you down.  In situations such as you described, due to the weather related event, the baggage was boarded on the Newark flight as an alternative destination and there was not enough time to remove it prior to departure once the customer was confirmed into LGA.  It was for this reason that the bag was transported without your daughter.   Please be assured United Airlines upholds the highest safety standards in the industry and we will always take appropriate measures to achieve this objective. 

We understand how frustrating it can be when travel plans are interrupted.  Our staff offered the best options under the circumstances. I regret we left you with an unfavorable impression of our service. 

When weather or Air Traffic Control causes the delay or cancellation of our flights, both situations that are beyond the control of any carrier, according to our Contract of Carriage, which you will find at United.com, we are not required to provide hotel, food vouchers or compensation.  As the cause of the delay was weather related, I must decline your request for compensation.
We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you on board a future United Airlines flight.

Regards,

Marc Mayka
Customer Care Manager

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 23, 2012, 10:14:25 PM »
My sister flew Swiss Air from TLV-NYC in business via UA one way with her husband and 3 kids.
1 suitcase was left in TLV, and no kosher meals, and one of the seats were broken.
She actually got compensated around 270$ for her luggage (she bought things when she arrived and charged them) and a 500$ voucher for swiss.
I thought that was pretty nice!!
Q is- is the voucher transferable? (AKA sellable?)

Offline Mocha

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 23, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
My sister flew Swiss Air from TLV-NYC in business via UA one way with her husband and 3 kids.
1 suitcase was left in TLV, and no kosher meals, and one of the seats were broken.
She actually got compensated around 270$ for her luggage (she bought things when she arrived and charged them) and a 500$ voucher for swiss.
I thought that was pretty nice!!
Q is- is the voucher transferable? (AKA sellable?)
I think the answer is yes but not officially so be careful with how you play it. If they get a whiff that you were selling it they could void it.

Offline MnM1130

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 23, 2012, 10:22:48 PM »
I think the answer is yes but not officially so be careful with how you play it. If they get a whiff that you were selling it they could void it.
ok than.. thanks!

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 24, 2012, 03:24:31 AM »
AA MIA-JFK 2 passengers
I booked the flight using vouchers and had a remaning balance of about $5. For whatever reason my CC was charged $30. I called after a couple hours they said they would issue a refund.
I then emailed customer relations, I ended up getting $200 in vouchers

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
Re: Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #336 on: August 24, 2012, 11:26:51 AM »
+1, seems a little greedy to ask for more

Just received a reply from the written letter. This is above the 15,000 already received. Greedy or not, it worked.

Further, as a gesture of apology for not receiving the meal you
requested, I have added 3,700 bonus miles to you and your family
member?s SkyMiles account.  Please allow three business days for the
miles to appear.Further, as a gesture of apology for not receiving the meal you
requested, I have added 3,700 bonus miles to you and your family
member?s SkyMiles account.  Please allow three business days for the
miles to appear.

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #337 on: August 24, 2012, 11:27:45 AM »
Al613 -Thanks  I will try those routes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:49:47 AM by outinstyle »

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 24, 2012, 12:50:23 PM »
Airline: Delta
Flight: LGA-ATL
Class: Coach
Incident: Lost luggage
Compensation: $1325 after 6+ months of fighting. (Value was significantly less; I did not like on the forms, that's just what they compensated me with.)
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline MLM

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT PLAT, UA LT PP, FPC LT PLAT, HH DIAMOND,
« Reply #339 on: August 26, 2012, 11:51:56 PM »
Airline: AA
JFK-LAX

I had 2 business class seats on AA 21 today JFK-LAX, I get a call that they will give me $400 per person voucher if I fly at 9 PM in Business. I gladly accept. Then at the airport they offer me $400 plus my miles back if I downgrade to coach. Took this as well. Especially considering that the plane was downgraded from a 762 to a 752 (22 seat Eisenhower Interior First) hardly worth more than my two exit row seats 9B, D