Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1112808 times)

Offline Yrustaringatme

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #5040 on: January 22, 2023, 09:20:24 AM »
Spirit Ewr to Fll this morning delayed over 8 hours didn’t get a reason rebooked a different flight I paid for big front seats in addition to base fare how do I go about refund and should I cancel flight before todays 335 departure or call before

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: January 22, 2023, 11:28:05 AM »
LH EWR - TLV Luggage didn't make the 2nd leg, before i try to get compensation, who do i call now to find out where my luggage is?

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: January 22, 2023, 12:42:34 PM »
LH EWR - TLV Luggage didn't make the 2nd leg, before i try to get compensation, who do i call now to find out where my luggage is?
So apparently it's coming with the next flight to TLV, Can i expect any compensation?

Offline DealJew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5043 on: January 22, 2023, 12:53:44 PM »
So apparently it's coming with the next flight to TLV, Can i expect any compensation?
Do you have receipts? How long was the total delay?
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline AussieMan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5044 on: January 22, 2023, 07:13:01 PM »
I have receipts.
And I plan to get reimbursed for them

However, they are getting away on a technicality, as they are saying the bags were not "lost" on day 5.
They were merely in the hands of a delivery courier for 4 days, (who by the way, there is no way to get hold of)

Offline Agoldsc1

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: January 22, 2023, 09:12:27 PM »
DL flight JFK-NAS and experienced the following issues:

1. Seats weren’t together even though I flew with children ages 7,5 and 2. I asked at the gate and they told me that they would work on it and call me when they have a resolution. My name was never called and I ended up just boarding last and negotiating with other passengers (and managed to get 4 seats close enough). I booked basic flight Economy using miles, but my understanding is that the DOT still requires, or at the very least highly encourages, airlines to sit families with little children together.

2. I was forced to gate check my carry-on, even though I explained that I had my children’s toys and other important items inside. The flight attendant was very rude and basically told me that either I fly without the bag or I don’t fly at all. I ended up gate checking the bag, and then the airplane head plenty of space available. And I’m not talking about some room here and some room there, I’m talking about entire empty bins, which we never filled up, and they even have that on the video.

3. This is just me venting, but the flight attendants didn’t perform a beverage service, claiming that the flight was too bumpy. They just sat in the galley with a curtain closed, which I didn’t even know existed. At the end, they passed around phrase with water during the last 40 minutes or so of the flight. The flight was a little bumpy, but nothing more than I’ve experienced on other flights in the past. I think that they just saw a flight full of families, and decided not to deal with it.

From a third party perspective, are either/both of claims 1 and 2 legitimate, or am I being unreasonable?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #5046 on: January 22, 2023, 11:22:56 PM »
I have receipts.

However, they are getting away on a technicality, as they are saying the bags were not "lost" on day 5.
They were merely in the hands of a delivery courier for 4 days, (who by the way, there is no way to get hold of)
Lost vs delay

Different rules for comp

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #5047 on: January 22, 2023, 11:25:15 PM »

but my understanding is that the DOT still requires, or at the very least highly encourages, airlines to sit families with little children together.

DOT does not require it, and the way it looks like, will not require it for the foreseeable future

What they are encouraging and will probably make a rule, is more bureaucracy on fees, which will just make crazy all parties involve - but free seating? Sweet dreams

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #5048 on: January 23, 2023, 06:12:29 AM »
I have receipts.

It doesn't make a difference. You are claiming reimbursement for delayed baggage not lost baggage. EU law requires them to compensate you. Make sure to contact then right away. Quote the law to them when you send in the receipts. PM me for help.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 06:17:04 AM by DealJew »

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: January 23, 2023, 06:14:24 AM »
DL flight JFK-NAS and experienced the following issues:

1. Seats weren’t together even though I flew with children ages 7,5 and 2. I asked at the gate and they told me that they would work on it and call me when they have a resolution. My name was never called and I ended up just boarding last and negotiating with other passengers (and managed to get 4 seats close enough). I booked basic flight Economy using miles, but my understanding is that the DOT still requires, or at the very least highly encourages, airlines to sit families with little children together.

2. I was forced to gate check my carry-on, even though I explained that I had my children’s toys and other important items inside. The flight attendant was very rude and basically told me that either I fly without the bag or I don’t fly at all. I ended up gate checking the bag, and then the airplane head plenty of space available. And I’m not talking about some room here and some room there, I’m talking about entire empty bins, which we never filled up, and they even have that on the video.

3. This is just me venting, but the flight attendants didn’t perform a beverage service, claiming that the flight was too bumpy. They just sat in the galley with a curtain closed, which I didn’t even know existed. At the end, they passed around phrase with water during the last 40 minutes or so of the flight. The flight was a little bumpy, but nothing more than I’ve experienced on other flights in the past. I think that they just saw a flight full of families, and decided not to deal with it.

From a third party perspective, are either/both of claims 1 and 2 legitimate, or am I being unreasonable?
None of these are clear cut claims as they aren't required to seat you together or serve drinks as long as they have them on the plane. Also, gate checking a carry on usually has to do with the capacity of the flight and isn't a violation of any policy. Email them and give it a try though.

Offline joeberg

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5050 on: January 26, 2023, 12:00:05 PM »
Booked RT on United with points. Return flight BRU-JFK was on Brussels Air. 1035 AM landing 120 PM.
12 AM the night before we get a text that the flight is canceled. We rebooked on UA BRU-IAD-EWR 1115 AM Landing in EWR 530 PM.
When we arrived in IAD we boarded 2nd flight at 415, and then, due to mechanical issues, everyone was taken off the plane. They first rescheduled for 730 and then for 830. We eventually took off around 930 arriving in EWR approximately 1030.

What are we eligible for and who should we reach out to?

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: January 26, 2023, 12:24:39 PM »
Booked RT on United with points. Return flight BRU-JFK was on Brussels Air. 1035 AM landing 120 PM.
12 AM the night before we get a text that the flight is canceled. We rebooked on UA BRU-IAD-EWR 1115 AM Landing in EWR 530 PM.
When we arrived in IAD we boarded 2nd flight at 415, and then, due to mechanical issues, everyone was taken off the plane. They first rescheduled for 730 and then for 830. We eventually took off around 930 arriving in EWR approximately 1030.

What are we eligible for and who should we reach out to?
Under EU law you may be entitled to compensation. You would need to reach out to United and qoute the law. PM me for help.

Offline cgr

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: January 26, 2023, 02:31:34 PM »
Trying to help family with compensation.
TLV>FCO, FCO>JFK. Stopover in FCO was supposed to be under 2 hours.

Upon arrival in FCO they were notified that due to a mechanical issue the flight was delayed. Eventually they were sent to another gate in a different concourse, then back to the original gate, and so on. After 4 hours they finally boarded- aircraft had been replaced by a different one than originally scheduled.

They've been trying to run after ITA for compensation since. Finally got a response today:
Regarding ITA Airways flight AZ 608, we have conducted an investigation with our airport department and find that it was delayed due unexcepted checks on aircraft following a bird strike.
Please allow us to explain that when a flight is delayed or canceled due to "extraordinary circumstances", as was the case with your flight, EU regulation EC 261/2004... states that the airline is not liable for compensation or refund of expenses incurred.

Any other recourse? Does this not fall under mechanical issues as originally stated?
Anyone know more about what falls under mechanical issues?

Offline yuds70

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5053 on: January 26, 2023, 05:46:01 PM »
Booked lap infant on DL PVR-LAX - I'm a medallion silver, in Comfort+ seats empty between DW and I, so of course I expect them to be gracious and let me bring the Doona on.

At gate they sternly said "you didn't pay for a seat, so you must check in Doona"

I said sure.

After that, another agent came running to us remindibg us to give the doona at door, I asked if the steward can make the final say, they said sure.

Of course Steward without hesitation said Sure

Next thing is the gate agents sending a message that the doona has to go under, I said take it without making a fuss.

Like c'mon , the seat was empty at boarding, and it remained empty, they even confirmed it was empty at gate.

Any reason to make a fuss for compensation? Or is that petty? It was quite embarrassing having them remove my car seat once we were on, so I can go off that...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 06:41:36 PM by yuds70 »
Make stuff happen.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: January 27, 2023, 06:55:44 AM »
Anyone know more about what falls under mechanical issues?
"3. An operating air carrier shall not be obliged to pay compensation in accordance with Article 7, if it can prove that the cancellation is caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken."

Ask them to prove that the delay could not have been avoided. This is a very vague statement and can be used by the airline to free themselves. If you cannot get compensation, try using a service that goes after the airline for you.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: January 27, 2023, 06:57:38 AM »
Booked lap infant on DL PVR-LAX - I'm a medallion silver, in Comfort+ seats empty between DW and I, so of course I expect them to be gracious and let me bring the Doona on.

At gate they sternly said "you didn't pay for a seat, so you must check in Doona"

I said sure.

After that, another agent came running to us remindibg us to give the doona at door, I asked if the steward can make the final say, they said sure.

Of course Steward without hesitation said Sure

Next thing is the gate agents sending a message that the doona has to go under, I said take it without making a fuss.

Like c'mon , the seat was empty at boarding, and it remained empty, they even confirmed it was empty at gate.

Any reason to make a fuss for compensation? Or is that petty? It was quite embarrassing having them remove my car seat once we were on, so I can go off that...
Your only hope is that the gate agent said yes. They aren't required to let it on the plane even if the seat is empty.

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: January 27, 2023, 08:38:32 AM »
If you cannot get compensation, try using a service that goes after the airline for you.
Any recommendations?

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: January 27, 2023, 11:10:29 AM »
TK
Max Montreal convention for delayed baggage... 
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: January 28, 2023, 12:30:50 PM »
Any recommendations?
Airhelp.com is good, though https://www.claimnwin.com/ is jewish but i dont know if they are good.

Offline Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: January 28, 2023, 09:56:24 PM »
AA is offering the compensation required by Israeli law(or a voucher) for the TLV flight that was cancelled a couple of weeks ago. Does that compensation include the expenses incurred? Or can I claim it in addition?At the time the TLV agents said save all receipts for food, transportation etc.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:14:37 PM by Spoon »