Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1131476 times)

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #5420 on: October 23, 2023, 02:02:35 PM »
REIMBURSEMENT OF THE COST OF THE TICKET:

If the airline canceled your flight due to the war. they are required to reimburse you the FULL cost of the ticket in cash!!!

In the words of the law:

Reimbursement of consideration in the amount paid for the Flight Ticket, including any payment paid for the Flight Ticket, including fees, levies, taxes and other obligatory payments, and all subject to the provisions of Sub Section (b); the Flight Operator or Organizer will reimburse the passenger with the consideration within 21 days from the date that the passenger or the Travel Agency Service Provider, as stated in Section 15, as the case may be, has made written application to it;

COMPENSATION:

There is no war-time exception in Israeli Aviation Law that exempts airlines from their obligation to pay compensation when they cancel flights. The only exception would be if they could prove impossibility and they clearly can not b/c El-Al flew and continues to fly. The airlines choose not to fly to/from Israel (basically abandoning us when the going got tough). While that is their prerogative; they must pay compensation and reimbursement of all related out-of-pocket expenses!

Is this true? My flight from TLV-WAW-ORD got cancelled, am I eligible for compensation?

Online SHL

• View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: October 23, 2023, 02:11:29 PM »
REIMBURSEMENT OF THE COST OF THE TICKET:

If the airline canceled your flight due to the war. they are required to reimburse you the FULL cost of the ticket in cash!!!

In the words of the law:

Reimbursement of consideration in the amount paid for the Flight Ticket, including any payment paid for the Flight Ticket, including fees, levies, taxes and other obligatory payments, and all subject to the provisions of Sub Section (b); the Flight Operator or Organizer will reimburse the passenger with the consideration within 21 days from the date that the passenger or the Travel Agency Service Provider, as stated in Section 15, as the case may be, has made written application to it;

COMPENSATION:

There is no war-time exception in Israeli Aviation Law that exempts airlines from their obligation to pay compensation when they cancel flights. The only exception would be if they could prove impossibility and they clearly can not b/c El-Al flew and continues to fly. The airlines choose not to fly to/from Israel (basically abandoning us when the going got tough). While that is their prerogative; they must pay compensation and reimbursement of all related out-of-pocket expenses!
Not fully accurate
If the company's insurance agency or the crew union won't authorize the flight it is out of their hands

Offline Tzvi687

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA silver,HH Diamand ,Hertz pc,National ee,
« Reply #5422 on: October 29, 2023, 01:28:51 PM »
I apologize for the inconveniences and difficulties you encountered during your journey and we understand how frustrating this must have been for your family. It is my understanding that you are requesting cash compensation under the Israeli Aviation Services Law. We have thoroughly reviewed the information you provided and we deeply regret the unsatisfactory service you received from our staff members. Your flight was canceled due to an industrial work strike from Newark to Tel Aviv, Israel. which is out of United's control. So I must respectfully decline your request for cash compensation under the law.

Flight day after succus was canceled. Requested ticket refund and $$ they responded ^^ with $150 etc. worth fighting or that’s correct that out of they’re hands? Got back half of ticket cost.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: October 29, 2023, 01:57:48 PM »
I apologize for the inconveniences and difficulties you encountered during your journey and we understand how frustrating this must have been for your family. It is my understanding that you are requesting cash compensation under the Israeli Aviation Services Law. We have thoroughly reviewed the information you provided and we deeply regret the unsatisfactory service you received from our staff members. Your flight was canceled due to an industrial work strike from Newark to Tel Aviv, Israel. which is out of United's control. So I must respectfully decline your request for cash compensation under the law.

Flight day after succus was canceled. Requested ticket refund and $$ they responded ^^ with $150 etc. worth fighting or that’s correct that out of they’re hands? Got back half of ticket cost.
The “industrial strike” shows you how stupid AI responses can be. Regardless, the law doesn’t apply in case of war so I’d take anything they offer.

Offline Tzvi687

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA silver,HH Diamand ,Hertz pc,National ee,
« Reply #5424 on: October 29, 2023, 02:20:34 PM »
The “industrial strike” shows you how stupid AI responses can be. Regardless, the law doesn’t apply in case of war so I’d take anything they offer.

They canceled on simchas torah I don’t think war was declared until later on.
Whats the qualification for “war”

Online SHL

• View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: October 29, 2023, 02:43:40 PM »
I don't know about United but American technically speaking could be classified as a work strike as they canceled due to the fact that the union would not let them fly

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: October 30, 2023, 04:26:30 PM »
So United cancelled my flight TLV-EWR for 10/12, while I was in Israel without a way og getting home. United told me that can't book my on a different flight and I should book whatever I could find. I ended up booking a long route home for around $2k each.

When I opened a case under "flight disruption" And this is their respone:
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you incurred when your trip was disrupted by civil unrest in Israel, departing Tel Aviv, on Oct. 12, 2023.

As you are aware, the local political situation in Tel Aviv has prevented airlines from operating as scheduled for an extended period of time, displacing many passengers. You may be assured that we are doing everything possible to accommodate our passengers and resume safe operations as soon as local conditions permit.

As indicated in the Notice of Your Rights document posted at united.com under Travel Info > Destination Info > View international travel information > Middle East >, "you may not be entitled to compensation if your flight was cancelled because of special circumstances which were not under our control, and the cancellation could not have been prevented even if we would have taken all reasonable measures possible." Because the disruption to your trip was caused by acts of war, which are considered circumstances outside United's control, we are regrettably unable to comply with your request for compensation.

Since our industry is vulnerable to a number of daily challenges, we strongly recommend to our customers to obtain travel insurance as added protection. Travel insurance provides coverage for the unexpected and may assist with out-of-pocket reimbursement that is outside our policies. You may also wish to check with your credit card company as many now offer trip protection when you use their card as form of payment for your airline ticket. We'll be happy to provide you with a flight verification letter if necessary.

Your understanding of United's position is appreciated. We wish you safe travels and look forward to welcoming you on board under more favorable conditions.

So my question is if I should escalate this case to senior United officials to try to get something?
If yes, who should I email?

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: October 31, 2023, 05:24:04 AM »
So United cancelled my flight TLV-EWR for 10/12, while I was in Israel without a way og getting home. United told me that can't book my on a different flight and I should book whatever I could find. I ended up booking a long route home for around $2k each.

When I opened a case under "flight disruption" And this is their respone:
So my question is if I should escalate this case to senior United officials to try to get something?
If yes, who should I email?

I don't mean to pick on you, but why in the world do people think that the airlines owe them compensation in this situation? ???

Offline VacationLover

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: October 31, 2023, 08:13:28 AM »
I don't mean to pick on you, but why in the world do people think that the airlines owe them compensation in this situation? ???
Most other airlines rebooked their customers on other flights, in the first few days when that was still possible. I had a flight booked TLV-SOF and asked United if they can transfer my booking and get me home from SOF, they said they can't, despite plenty of availability on star alliance carriers.

I already escalated the case.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: October 31, 2023, 08:29:49 AM »
Most other airlines rebooked their customers on other flights, in the first few days when that was still possible. I had a flight booked TLV-SOF and asked United if they can transfer my booking and get me home from SOF, they said they can't, despite plenty of availability on star alliance carriers.

I already escalated the case.
Good luck. Just FYI, most airlines did not offer alternative options and just refunded the tickets, besides for a handful of people who were successful rebooking on LY. Of all airlines, United was relatively decent by allowing rerouting to ATH or DXB. They don’t even fly to SOF, so you’re basically expecting them to book you on another European carrier. It would’ve been extremely thoughtful of them to do that, but far from something that you can demand.

Offline Rita99

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5430 on: October 31, 2023, 04:06:22 PM »
I had a Delta flight from JFK-TLV after Sukkos which was cancelled and they offered ecredit or to rebook on another flight. There were no other flights to rebook on so I chose ecredit. Now I heard that airlines have to give money back in this situation, not only credit. Is there any basis to that claim? Is it worth asking for it now or am I too late?

Online SHL

• View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: October 31, 2023, 04:25:38 PM »
I had a Delta flight from JFK-TLV after Sukkos which was cancelled and they offered ecredit or to rebook on another flight. There were no other flights to rebook on so I chose ecredit. Now I heard that airlines have to give money back in this situation, not only credit. Is there any basis to that claim? Is it worth asking for it now or am I too late?
By law they need to offer the refund
If the didn't tell you are eligible you have grounds to request it now and possibly involve DOT
Beware that you get a prorated refund so it may not necessarily be worth it

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: November 01, 2023, 12:13:20 AM »
call they will refund.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline Rita99

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: November 01, 2023, 06:39:20 AM »
If the didn't tell you are eligible you have grounds to request it now and possibly involve DOT
Why should the cash amount be less though?

Online SHL

• View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: November 01, 2023, 06:56:22 AM »
Why should the cash amount be less though?
To incentivize you to get a credit

Offline lover of truth

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: ly matmid, fish grill platinum
« Reply #5435 on: November 01, 2023, 08:36:57 AM »
UNited emailed me that refund is complete and will post to Credit card within 7 days
12 days passed and nothing
I entered refund ID request on their website and nothing shows at all is this normal?

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: November 01, 2023, 08:46:22 PM »
Received $475 refund on an $1100 ticket of which return trip was cancelled, where can see the original fare of the ticket, how much was each leg?

Online herb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: November 01, 2023, 11:40:59 PM »
Received $475 refund on an $1100 ticket of which return trip was cancelled, where can see the original fare of the ticket, how much was each leg?
simple math:
1100-475=

Offline TBD

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: November 02, 2023, 12:13:59 AM »
simple math:
1100-475=
I want to know if they did the right math or they just decided now how much to refund

Offline Rita99

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: November 02, 2023, 06:22:24 AM »
What is the law that I can tell them? I tried asking for a refund originally, and they told me no. I didn't know of a legitimate reason for them so I didnt push further.