Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1115264 times)

Offline yuguy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2600 on: June 02, 2016, 07:19:25 PM »
I don't see why not to ask, nothing to loose either way.

$100 from reservations.

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2601 on: June 02, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »
$100 from reservations.
When I called and asked for compensation (they gave transportation vouchers from and to airport, but while the taxis outside accept the voucher, local Brooklyn car service refused) they said that they can issue up to $100 without any special approval, anything beyond that will have to go through corporate customer care. $100 doesn't even cover the related expenses, let alone compensation for utter mistreatment.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: June 02, 2016, 08:12:15 PM »
Dl flight from JFK to tlv delayed 4.5 hours then cancelled. Even being rebookd, can I expect any compensation?
you can try to demand Israel mandatory compensation

Google the DL link and put it in the complaint
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: June 02, 2016, 08:33:08 PM »
When I called and asked for compensation (they gave transportation vouchers from and to airport, but while the taxis outside accept the voucher, local Brooklyn car service refused) they said that they can issue up to $100 without any special approval, anything beyond that will have to go through corporate customer care. $100 doesn't even cover the related expenses, let alone compensation for utter mistreatment.

They gave me vouchers for to from airport which I only use with that specific car service they use. So I'll be using they for my rebooked flight. Also got an email about 30,000 sky miles after the fact.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #2604 on: June 02, 2016, 08:45:58 PM »
you can try to demand Israel mandatory compensation

Google the DL link and put it in the complaint

How does this fall into play:

Monetary compensation is also not due if:
1) the cancellation is due to special circumstances which were not under Delta's control even if Delta had done whatever was under its control
-- Dan

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: June 02, 2016, 08:52:46 PM »
$100 from reservations.

Really? Ask for more. My 2 connecting flights were delayed and I got $125 each a year later.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: June 02, 2016, 09:23:55 PM »
They gave me vouchers for to from airport which I only use with that specific car service they use. So I'll be using they for my rebooked flight. Also got an email about 30,000 sky miles after the fact.
Which car service was that? No one was able to tell me which car service to use the voucher with? Also what's the value of 30,000 skypesos?
-- Dan

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: June 05, 2016, 12:16:43 AM »
Which car service was that? No one was able to tell me which car service to use the voucher with? Also what's the value of 30,000 skypesos?

It's called everywhere car service. I have the number if you have a voucher.

I actually got 20,000 + the $100 on the call. Then an email about 30,000 so a total of 50,000. I can still write a email or do that Israel form but 50,000 sky miles is like a credit card sign up  8)

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: June 05, 2016, 02:28:12 AM »
How does this fall into play:

Monetary compensation is also not due if:
1) the cancellation is due to special circumstances which were not under Delta's control even if Delta had done whatever was under its control
It is a gray area. It depends which rep you get. They can always sell the above. But in some cases they did give comp.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: June 05, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
After filing a complaint with ElAl nearly a month ago, this is the reply I received today:

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for contacting El Al's customer relations Tel Aviv.

We are sorry to learn of the inconvenience that you were caused due to the changes that were made to your flight LY332 on May 11th, 2016 from Brussels to Tel Aviv.

Due to a sudden strike of Baggage handlers and ground staff at Brussels airport, it was not possible for any flights land or depart on May 11th, 2016.  El Al has decided to reroute the flight from Liege airport instead of causing the flight to be cancelled or delayed until the strike is over.   Regretfully, our check-in agents or security personals were not aware what information to provide to our passengers until our management has found a solution and received an approval to department from Liege airport.  We are sorry that you were not update during the delay.

Regretfully, no compensation is offered since the circumstances surrounding this delay were unexpected and beyond El Al's control.

Should you incurred out of pocket expenses during the delay or as a result of the delay (transportation, accommodation and meals), please send us recipes by email attachment for a review. In order to make a reimbursement, your bank account details will be needed by our accounts department.

We sincerely regret the circumstances of your delay and we look forward welcoming you on board our future flights to your full satisfaction.

Sincerely,

Ronnie Solson - Customer Relations

Find it ironic how they say "they" decided to reroute... and then go on to say it was out of their control...
(Just for some background... this was more than a 5hr delay and by the time we departed for Liège the strike was long over!)

I'm not gonna settle for such a lame response...
Any advice on how to move forward from here would be appreciated.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2610 on: June 16, 2016, 09:46:20 PM »
I had a 2 hour weather related delay the other day. I don't think I'll get anything out of that but don't they have a law about not keeping you on the ground for more than 2 hours? I was on the plane for about 2:10 from boarding till we left the gate and some boarded 10-15 minutes before me. Who do I contact and what can I expect to get if they violated the FAA rules?

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: June 16, 2016, 10:25:27 PM »
I had a 2 hour weather related delay the other day. I don't think I'll get anything out of that but don't they have a law about not keeping you on the ground for more than 2 hours? I was on the plane for about 2:10 from boarding till we left the gate and some boarded 10-15 minutes before me. Who do I contact and what can I expect to get if they violated the FAA rules?

The FAA rule is 3 hours.

Offline yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: June 16, 2016, 11:12:07 PM »

You can get between $25 per person or up to $150 pp depending on the airline and mood of the agent. Keep us posted.

ETA: Missed the weather related part. Don't know if you'll get much, if anything.

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline ilherman

• View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: June 17, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
Wow

Mechanical faults are no longer considered “extraordinary circumstances” under the fresh guidance so passengers are due compensation when such an event transpires. Historically a number of airlines have suggested otherwise when claims were filed"

So this is a great addition!

I'm waiting for the next AZ compensation request. These idiots were getting away every time compensation was requested saying "
extraordinary circumstances”

Offline SPLP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: June 17, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
So was delta-- once on ATH-JFK NONE STOP -- 2 hours into flight diverted to AMS - had to stay over told  mechanical reason - got only miles ( flt was half empty - next flt was full- was not economical needed more bodies !!!)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:29:41 AM by SPLP »

Offline yoyo6713

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: June 26, 2016, 11:43:19 AM »
Booked CX JFK-HKG-HGH with first leg F and second J with an hr 10 minutes connection time at HKG.  JFK took off more than 2 hrs late and of course we knew we would miss the connection and at JFK before we took off we were told CX will take care of us and book us first flight out of HKG next morning.  We were first off the plane at HKG and ground crew told us we had been booked at 1:30PM flight so we complained.  They had almost 24 hrs to make arrangements so we said that was not acceptable since I have some business to take care next morning.  We were told to wait and after everyone else was handled we were offered Y out of HKG at 7:50 since J was full and guess we didn't have much choice but to take it.  We are now at HKG marriott booked by CX.  So we would be late to HGH 11 hrs late on a downgraded second leg.  What kind of comp are we realistically entitled to? $0?  Don't really want those 1 class upgrade vouchers.

Offline shoobi

• View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: June 26, 2016, 05:29:34 PM »
Stuck on UA ORD-EWR now over 30 mins still taxiing looking for an open runway... When do i become entitled to comp? After how long? It's boiling in here... TIA

Offline shoobi

• View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: June 26, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
Stuck on UA ORD-EWR now over 30 mins still taxiing looking for an open runway... When do i become entitled to comp? After how long? It's boiling in here... TIA

Now just announced we are number ELEVEN in line  >:(

Offline Jimgotkp

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: June 26, 2016, 06:28:55 PM »

Someone call the ATC at ORD and request that shoobi's flight is #1 for takeoff.  ;D ;D