Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1114339 times)

Offline refill

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #2860 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:24 PM »
Evening flight from SLC to SFO was canceled then rescheduled for the next morning. Received hotel, food, and taxi compensation and 10k miles.

Offline high end hobo

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »
Tap Portugal didn't load my bag when I flew LIS-LHR and it was delivered to me the next day.
I complained and they gave me $100 Voucher.

Lot Polish didn't load my bags (2 pax, one bag each) when I flew WAW-TLV, being that I flew in Thursday night, it came in the next flight (Saturday morning) and couldn't be delivered to J'lem until sunday morning.

After pressuring them a lot and asking for 25K LH, they gave me 5K

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: December 07, 2016, 10:03:27 AM »
General Q:
I am working for a friend who got seriously messed over by United (can post the story after), but in general, should I make specific request of what I want (and what would that be) or just throw out the issue and let them respond?

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: December 07, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
General Q:
I am working for a friend who got seriously messed over by United (can post the story after), but in general, should I make specific request of what I want (and what would that be) or just throw out the issue and let them respond?
Why don't you post the story and some members should he able to give you an idea of what you can expect to receive.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Online ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2864 on: December 07, 2016, 11:23:18 AM »
General Q:
I would guess that YMMV.

Based on my experience (posted earlier) with DL, if you are legally entitled to compensation, it's best to leave that to the end. Make the story and the way you were treated sound as bad as possible, pointing out each and every service point of failure, and what could have been done differently. When they come up with the compensation offer, if you feel it's insufficient, you can always try to bargain for more. After all other avenues are exhausted, top that off with what you're legally entitled to.
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: December 07, 2016, 01:41:24 PM »
Why don't you post the story and some members should he able to give you an idea of what you can expect to receive.

Thanks for responses. Basically, she booked JFK-VIE-TLV on United business (for $) with Austrian Airlines. When she got to airport, Austrian Air said something about her not having reservation, or that it was cancelled, even though she had confirmation number, which United confirmed for her on the phone while she was standing and fighting with attendant. Ultimately, United got her a business flight direct to TLV (she had wanted to spend the day in Vienna but gave up bc of them) from EWR later in the evening. She was mocheles, but I thought she's crazy for not fighting them.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
« Reply #2866 on: December 07, 2016, 03:24:15 PM »
Thanks for responses. Basically, she booked JFK-VIE-TLV on United business (for $) with Austrian Airlines. When she got to airport, Austrian Air said something about her not having reservation, or that it was cancelled, even though she had confirmation number, which United confirmed for her on the phone while she was standing and fighting with attendant. Ultimately, United got her a business flight direct to TLV (she had wanted to spend the day in Vienna but gave up bc of them) from EWR later in the evening. She was mocheles, but I thought she's crazy for not fighting them.
How much later than originally scheduled to arrive in TLV did she arrive? If she qualifies for Israeli compensation based on arriving later than originally scheduled, then use that after everything else has been exhausted.

How was the ticket booked? Was the ticket a UA ticket (ticket number starting with 016) or an OS ticket (starting with 257)?
-- Dan

Offline David Smith

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: December 07, 2016, 03:36:07 PM »
Ask for full refund
Who do you think you are fooling? You think you are going to pull a quick one on your Creator? Good luck with that.
JTZ

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: December 07, 2016, 04:10:46 PM »
How much later than originally scheduled to arrive in TLV did she arrive? If she qualifies for Israeli compensation based on arriving later than originally scheduled, then use that after everything else has been exhausted.

How was the ticket booked? Was the ticket a UA ticket (ticket number starting with 016) or an OS ticket (starting with 257)?

Starts with 016. Booked with a Travel Agent thru United. She arrived at TLV earlier since she ended up skipping Vienna bc of snafu.

Full refund sounds overambitious for $3K+ ticket, no?

Offline travel agent

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: December 07, 2016, 04:16:10 PM »
you should blame the travel agent

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: December 07, 2016, 04:18:59 PM »
Starts with 016. Booked with a Travel Agent thru United. She arrived at TLV earlier since she ended up skipping Vienna bc of snafu.

Full refund sounds overambitious for $3K+ ticket, no?
If she arrived earlier, I don't think Israeli law would help.
-- Dan

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: December 07, 2016, 04:21:29 PM »
you should blame the travel agent

United had the reservation on their computers too. They tried to speak to OS reps who would not budge bc of their computers.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: December 07, 2016, 05:05:45 PM »
United had the reservation on their computers too. They tried to speak to OS reps who would not budge bc of their computers.
Maybe European compensation applies. After all, she was denied her flight to VIE. IDK, just suggesting it might be something to look into.
-- Dan

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: December 07, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Maybe European compensation applies. After all, she was denied her flight to VIE. IDK, just suggesting it might be something to look into.

Unless the VIE segment was a stopover (as opposed to a layover), the airline can change the routing with no compensation.

Online ExGingi

• View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: December 07, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »
Unless the VIE segment was a stopover (as opposed to a layover), the airline can change the routing with no compensation.
You are probably correct. However, if it's a long layover, how is a distinction made? By the fare rule used? What if someone had a business reason to book with the stop and continue to final destination?
-- Dan

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: December 07, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
Airline: Etihad
Flight: SIN-AUH-JFK
Class: First  (AA award ticket)
Incident: Loads of small-moderate issues
Compensation: 35k EY points x 2 + ~$160 (interestingly, they won't send me a check. They will only wire the money from AUH, which I don't love).

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: December 07, 2016, 05:45:45 PM »
You are probably correct. However, if it's a long layover, how is a distinction made? By the fare rule used? What if someone had a business reason to book with the stop and continue to final destination?

Not sure if it's standard across all airlines, but a layover is generally defined as less than 24 hours, while a stopover is greater than 24 hours.

No doubt this affects some business travelers, but I'm guessing airlines expect multiple tickets to be purchased in such scenarios (or a refundable/changeable F or J ticket).

Offline BarryLincoln

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #2877 on: December 07, 2016, 06:17:48 PM »
Airline: Etihad
Flight: SIN-AUH-JFK
Class: First  (AA award ticket)
Incident: Loads of small-moderate issues
Compensation: 35k EY points x 2 + ~$160 (interestingly, they won't send me a check. They will only wire the money from AUH, which I don't love).

Curious what kind of issues did you experience?

Offline EJB

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: December 07, 2016, 06:31:34 PM »
Curious what kind of issues did you experience?
Ticket, food,  luggage, and chauffeur. Seat was fine.

Offline Saver

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: December 07, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
HI! Just need some advice. My daughter's flight on Azberbajain airlines was delayed for 27 hours leaving Israel and they originally said they found an extra luggage that wasn't accounted for. Her flight never took off but the whole plane was scheduled on other flights. My daughter landed two hours before Shabbos, lost her connecting ticket to Denver and missed her brother's bar mitzvah.

When I contacted the airlines they claim that the reason the flight was delayed was because it was struck by lightning. WE never heard that reason. They are not taking any responsibility. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I tried to contact priceline who sold the ticket, also azberbajain airlines who were not helpful and any of the links in Israel that were provided above were never responded to (such as lawyers in Israel who enforced the Israeli law.

Is there anyone in NY that would be helpful to speak to or any other place?

Thanks!