Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1108566 times)

Offline Copernicus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3000 on: February 22, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
Flight delayed for almost two hours in DUB due to mechanical issues on my DUB-LHR-PVG itinerary with British Airways.  The delay caused me to miss my connection in LHR to PVG.  British Airways rebooked me on Lufthansa to PVG through Munich.  Flight arrives in PVG more than 6 hours later than originally scheduled.  From my understanding, this entitles me to 600 euro compensation under EU law.  Is that right?

Also, obviously I now won't have the KSML meal I had originally ordered.  Should that complaint be submitted separately?

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: February 22, 2017, 10:25:49 AM »
Also, obviously I now won't have the KSML meal I had originally ordered.  Should that complaint be submitted separately?
Same thing happened to me on LHR-KUL. I doubt that you can get much out of it.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: February 22, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
Same thing happened to me on LHR-KUL. I doubt that you can get much out of it.

You'd be surprised. Read reports above. When they give it's usually $200 per person for that.

Offline Copernicus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »
I will let them know that since I was involuntarily rerouted I was not provided with my KSML.  We'll see what happens.

I guess what I'm trying to clarify is whether the EU law applies in my case as my DUB-LHR flight was delayed for 2 hours causing me to miss my LHR-PVG flight.  I was involuntarily rerouted and arrived 6 hours later than originally scheduled.  EU law states that any delay of at least 4 hours on a 3,500+ km flight justifies 600 euro compensation.  Does this apply to my case?

Offline AROCKS1

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: February 23, 2017, 09:20:03 AM »
I was supposed to fly DL LGA-FLL on 2/9 in the morning and because of a snow storm, my flight was cancelled and I was put on a later connecting flight through DTW. That flight got delayed in LGA due to mechanical and staffing issues and I missed my connection and had to take the next flight in the morning from DTW-FLL.

I paid for a hotel that night which I am trying to get comped by CSP travel insurance, but is there any other comp I can ask DL for (for their delays causing me to get to my destination a day later than planned)? If so, what's the best way to get in touch with the right person about it?

Offline ExGingi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline Copernicus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: February 23, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/etihad-denies-breaking-eu-law-violating-passengers-rights-664505.html

Thanks for this!  This answers my question and it seems if a delay on your first flight causes you to miss your connecting flight and consequently causes a late arrival at your final destination, you are entitled to compensation under EU law.

"...have breached consumer law by not paying compensation to passengers who experience a delay on the first leg of a flight that in turn causes them to miss a connecting flight and thereby arrive at their final destination more than three hours late"

Offline Copernicus

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: February 23, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
I paid for a hotel that night which I am trying to get comped by CSP travel insurance, but is there any other comp I can ask DL for (for their delays causing me to get to my destination a day later than planned)? If so, what's the best way to get in touch with the right person about it?

Why did you pay for your hotel?  I think you should have gone to the airline and have them take care of accommodations if the delay was caused by technical issues. 

Send an email to their customer service department along with your receipts.  They should compensate you.

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: February 23, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
Everybody on the plane lined up to do exactly that, and the wait on the customer service phone line was over 2 hours. We were exhausted and just wanted to go to sleep. I figured Chase would reimburse me no problem, but I later realized that I paid for the flight on one card and paid for the hotel on a different card (one CSP and one CSR), so I'm not sure if I'm even going to get comped. Do I run any risk asking Delta to comp me and then having Chase comp me as well ?
Also is there any likelihood that Delta will sympathize with me for having missed a day of my vacation as a result of their failures, and maybe give me something more (future tickets, cash)?

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: February 23, 2017, 08:31:55 PM »
The Chase comp is a long shot since you didn't use the right card for the airfare. From there, the Chase comp is only supposed to cover uncompensated expenses, so you might get rejected simply for having decided to bypass the airline comp you had coming and relying on Chase to pay instead. (Also, technically, asking for hotel comp from both would be insurance fraud.)

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »
The Chase comp is a long shot since you didn't use the right card for the airfare. From there, the Chase comp is only supposed to cover uncompensated expenses, so you might get rejected simply for having decided to bypass the airline comp you had coming and relying on Chase to pay instead. (Also, technically, asking for hotel comp from both would be insurance fraud.)
I didn't deliberately bypass airline comp. Nobody from Delta made any explicit announcement about comp, they just said to speak to an agent if you missed your connection. Either way, I figured that it might be shady to ask from both, but fraud I did not expect. Duly noted .
There shouldn't be anything wrong with asking Delta after the Chase claim is denied though right?
Also, I can ask Delta to be comped just from the delay of my trip they caused irrespective of the hotel..

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: February 25, 2017, 09:04:48 PM »
I didn't deliberately bypass airline comp. Nobody from Delta made any explicit announcement about comp, they just said to speak to an agent if you missed your connection.

I know how it is; nothing worse than standing around an airport for hours after you know you're not going anywhere. But the problem you're likely to run into, if Chase ignores your use of the wrong card and allows you to submit a claim, is that they'll ask for particulars re: the delay, and they know which problems are the airline's responsibility to compensate (e.g., mechanical) and which are not (e.g., weather).

Either way, I figured that it might be shady to ask from both, but fraud I did not expect. Duly noted .

Doubt you'd end up in the slammer even if caught, but the Chase claim is technically an insurance claim and not just a credit card perk.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with asking Delta after the Chase claim is denied though right?
Also, I can ask Delta to be comped just from the delay of my trip they caused irrespective of the hotel..

I'd write up a succinct summary of your problems and send it to Delta.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: February 25, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
FLL - EWR   
6am flight delayed because of mechanical issues.  They deplaned and then finally reboarded at 8 am.
What compensation? What's the best way to get it?
A call to United told her to submit the complaint on-line.  She did.  She got a $150 united voucher. 
It was a 1 way ticket that cost $40.  She's pleased with the compensation.
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline AROCKS1

• View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: March 01, 2017, 02:28:17 PM »
Called in to the claims benifit ppl today after not hearing from them after 5 business days, and was told that the claim was approved and I'll be getting a check in the mail shortly

Offline yuguy

• View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: March 02, 2017, 10:47:25 PM »
Two, $150 Delta vouchers for 3.5 hr delay from LIH - LAX, making me miss my connection and having a 5 hour connection in LAX. The issue was due to plane swap on Delta's end.

Offline chevron

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: March 03, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
50$ virgin credit or 3k miles ?

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: March 03, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »
50$ virgin credit or 3k miles ?
3k miles is worth 66$ virgin credit

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: March 07, 2017, 04:41:06 PM »
United IAD-LGA - Total delay of about 2 hours (maintenance / ATC / computer outage on arrival = no gate).

2 (pax) X $200 vouchers.

Offline ckmk47

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: March 07, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
United IAD-LGA - Total delay of about 2 hours (maintenance / ATC / computer outage on arrival = no gate).

2 (pax) X $200 vouchers.
What route did you take to get that?
My favorite cause: cssy.org

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: March 07, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
What route did you take to get that?

2 (pax) X $200 vouchers.