Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1108442 times)

Offline Saver

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3160 on: May 09, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »
What was the check for?

Offline Suave

• DansDeals Developer
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
    • SWIZU Web Development
  • Programs: Photoshop
« Reply #3161 on: May 09, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »
What was the check for?
Czech Air 4 hour delay BCN-PRG-KBP

https://www.airhelp.com/en/
DDMS Built with ♥ by SWIZU

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: May 18, 2017, 05:17:20 AM »
Cancelled ElAl flight from BRU to TLV (distance just under 3500km)
Was rebooked for a few days later.
Can anyone confirm what the mandatory Israeli compensation is?

Offline PPM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: May 18, 2017, 05:50:39 AM »
Alitalia broke my stroller on April 3. I filled out everything they needed and haven't heard back from them since April 29. My insurance wont cover it till they have the confirmation from the airline that they won't pay. Anybody has any ideas how to go about this?

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: May 18, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »
In my experience with Alitalia they took 2 or 3 months to respond and it possibly will be worse now that they're in bankruptcy. Just have to wait.

Offline PPM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3165 on: May 18, 2017, 07:27:24 AM »
In my experience with Alitalia they took 2 or 3 months to respond and it possibly will be worse now that they're in bankruptcy. Just have to wait.
I was back and forth with them between April 3-29. All of a sudden they stopped responding.

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:13 PM »
How much is $800 American Airlines voucher worth?
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline as2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: May 18, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
How much is $800 American Airlines voucher worth?
I'm going to take a gander here and say, $800.
Memories last forever, make them while you can.

Offline shmoe joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: May 18, 2017, 11:07:53 PM »
I meant to resell?!?
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline hide4

• View Profile

Online travel agent

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: May 21, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »
To make a very long story short, my AB flight from Berlin-JFK was rerouted to Boston because of a passing thunderstorm over JFK (and after circling 40 minutes the plane was low on fuel...)
We waited over 3 hours for our luggage then we were told that we need to find our own why back to NY and we'll be compensated for the food and travel expenses.
But when i tried to request the compensation (car to train station, amtrak BOS to Penn station, taxi from penn station) it was declined!

The reply was:
Thank you for your correspondence dated 07.04.2017.
According to your comments we have annoyed you by not providing the expected or usual service. We understand that you are disappointed and kindly ask you to accept our sincere apologies on behalf of airberlin.We know that you were looking forward to your flights as well as your journey and that you expect smooth procedure from booking to service on board.
Unpredictable events during airline operations are very annoying for us as well since such occurences require a complex adjustment of our flight rotation.
According to our flight documentation the flight could not be operated as scheduled due to exceptional circumstances.
We kindly ask for your understanding that we are not liable for possible consequential costs in such cases.
We hope that you accept our apologies and that you still put trust in airberlin in future.

What can i do now? when i call they say that i can only email....

try to decline the cc charge, the service purchased was not provided.

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: May 21, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »
It was if you read the T&C.

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: May 21, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »

+1. AB customer service is the worst - They clearly owe you a refund of the expenses since you purchased a ticket from points A to B and they didn't get you to B. If it were any other airline I'd ask again and chance that a non-moronic agent will be answering the email. But with AB, probably not worth the time it'll take.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »
Travelling with baby and 6 year old. After flight out of TLV was delayed close to 2 hrs, arrived in yyz with boarding passes already in hand for connection to USA about 30 minutes before connection and raced to make it. Luckily, 15 minutes before connection to US was scheduled to leave, it was delayed 45 minutes. Arrived at gate before boarding but was denied boarding because they gave away the seats!!  Was placed on next flight about 3 hrs later. Of course kids melted down before the end of the trip and it was a nightmare. Complained and Airline only offers 15% discount code for next flight!  Sound ridiculous to me. Am I wrong? Can we complain to DOT?

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: May 24, 2017, 09:50:39 PM »
Travelling with baby and 6 year old. After flight out of TLV was delayed close to 2 hrs, arrived in yyz with boarding passes already in hand for connection to USA about 30 minutes before connection and raced to make it. Luckily, 15 minutes before connection to US was scheduled to leave, it was delayed 45 minutes. Arrived at gate before boarding but was denied boarding because they gave away the seats!!  Was placed on next flight about 3 hrs later. Of course kids melted down before the end of the trip and it was a nightmare. Complained and Airline only offers 15% discount code for next flight!  Sound ridiculous to me. Am I wrong? Can we complain to DOT?

How many minutes before the scheduled departure did you get to the gate? You probably don't have much of a case here, since your first flight's delay made it unlikely you'd make the connection. The subsequent last-minute delay made things frustrating for you, since it seemed like you had "made it," but by that point, one would expect the seats, particularly on an international flight, would have been filled.

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: May 24, 2017, 10:07:42 PM »
True that we didn't get to the grate before the scheduled departure but they didn't have equipment for the flight so they did know it was going to be delayed, even though they didn't post the delay until 15 minutes before scheduled departure. They jumped the gun and in the circumstance, I believe that they should have bumped others to get the seats back - being that they jumped the gun without thinking and we are talking about a family travelling with little children after a 12 hr day flight (+2 hr delay) having to add 3 hours to their journey.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: May 24, 2017, 10:50:08 PM »
True that we didn't get to the grate before the scheduled departure but they didn't have equipment for the flight so they did know it was going to be delayed, even though they didn't post the delay until 15 minutes before scheduled departure. They jumped the gun and in the circumstance, I believe that they should have bumped others to get the seats back - being that they jumped the gun without thinking and we are talking about a family travelling with little children after a 12 hr day flight (+2 hr delay) having to add 3 hours to their journey.

The airline isn't going to bump people after they've been cleared onto the flight, for a variety of reasons. How many minutes before the flight actually departed did you arrive to the gate? Was there also a gate change or did a plane appear and then depart within the 45-minute delay? Did you have bags checked?

Offline Ploni3

• View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: May 24, 2017, 11:10:20 PM »
Arrived at gate probably about half hour before actual departure. No gate change just late arriving aircraft. Did check luggage. They should have and could have handled it differently.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: May 25, 2017, 02:19:01 AM »
Arrived at gate probably about half hour before actual departure. No gate change just late arriving aircraft. Did check luggage. They should have and could have handled it differently.

They could have, but the "should have" is debatable since your connection was very tight, you had bags checked, and it's not clear if you were at the gate a minimum of 30 minutes before departure, which is a common minimum for international flights. If your (delayed) arriving flight left you with 30 or fewer minutes to connect based on the original connection departure time, it's possible your seats were gone before you deplaned from the arriving flight.

From your standpoint, the delayed flight meant you should have had more time to make the connection, while from, e.g., the gate agent's standpoint, he/she was probably doing everything possible to ensure a quick boarding process and minimize the delay. And, again, the difference between being at the gate 31 minutes before and 29 minutes before can be a big one here. That's just the reality in these days of full flights.

Offline MeirS

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: May 25, 2017, 08:16:06 AM »
It's unfortunate but if this was one ticket, chances are that as soon as scheduled departure from TLV was delayed enough to cause your connection to be less than the minimum connection time, they probably tried to get ahead of the game and reaccommodate you onto the next flight.