Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from Europe make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 543128 times)

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3195 on: May 26, 2017, 05:41:17 AM »
Airline: American Airlines
Flight: PHL-AMS
Class: Economy
Incident: Arrival delayed by 35 hours (boarded & deplaned two aircraft due to mechanical issues, crew timed out, flight cancelled, then rebooked on PHL-LHR-AMS much later the next evening)
Compensation: 10,000 AAdvantage miles

I submitted my request to AA's customer care via their online form, but the response has been less than satisfactory. The 10,000 miles offered was really inadequate considering the circumstances (35-hour delay due to mechanical issues). Any suggestions for receiving something more reasonable?

Being that you flew between 2 European airports you might be entitled to mandatory compensation under 'european commission law EC261'
If indeed the case, you'd be entitled to 600 Euro (or equivalent)

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3196 on: May 26, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »
Does EU law apply to U.S. carriers for flights originating in the U.S.? (No idea why you mentioned Israeli law; we're talking about a PHL-AMS flight.)

I already suggested he mention to AA how he saved AA money on a hotel, which might yield a voucher or more miles.
I don't know if he's eligible for EU mandatory compensation. All I'm saying is that according to EU and Israeli law he is due quite a bit in compensation, therefore AA is not right in this case to throw him a bone, so to speak. He deserves a lot more.

Offline lg10

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: May 26, 2017, 12:50:04 PM »
Being that you flew between 2 European airports you might be entitled to mandatory compensation under 'european commission law EC261'
If indeed the case, you'd be entitled to 600 Euro (or equivalent)

Unfortunately, the source of the delay was my flight out of Philadelphia, PA. The intra-EU portion of the revised itinerary from London to Amsterdam was actually on-time. Since AA is not an EU-based airline, and the delay was caused outside of the EU, it would appear that I am ineligible for EC 261 compensation.

It is interesting how my flight from Amsterdam to Philadelphia on the same B757-200 aircraft did not experience any delays. I have a feeling that regulations such as EC 261 provide a stronger incentive for airlines to avoid delays and cancellations when guaranteed compensation is involved. If I had experienced even a small portion of the issues on the return portion of my trip that I had experienced on the outbound portion, then I would have been entitled to 600EUR cash compensation under EC 261.

I don't know if he's eligible for EU mandatory compensation. All I'm saying is that according to EU and Israeli law he is due quite a bit in compensation, therefore AA is not right in this case to throw him a bone, so to speak. He deserves a lot more.

Thank you for mentioning the mandatory compensation that would have been offered elsewhere. Since this was a US-EU flight on a US-based airline, it does not appear that I am eligible for mandatory cash compensation. However, the mandatory compensation practices for other countries help illustrate that a large number of people have determined that these types of delays are unacceptable. It is sad that AA's compensation practices are primarily motivated by law rather than a desire to help customers affected by AA's failures.

I explained to the AA rep that they lost much of my trust when I experienced significant mechanical issues on two aircraft of the same type, but the AA rep did not seem particularly interested in this. While the delay and the associated problems were certainly disappointing, AA's failure to maintain its B757-200 aircraft was most concerning to me.

The main lesson from this experience is to always fly on an EU/Switzerland/Norway-based airline when flying to those destinations. That way, EC 261 applies, and the compensation is already predetermined.

Offline Meir

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: May 26, 2017, 02:47:27 PM »
Booked 2 Business class tickets (comped by my company) on elal paid 5,200$ each tickets. The return flight was supposed to leave 12:30 am on Friday and then elal changed it to 7am. I didn't want to risk with shabbos so my travel agent got elal to put me on the Thursday night 11pm united flight. My friend got Bussines and I was put on economy. How can I work the compensation. Also I booked it on Amex Starwood should I just dispute the charge?

Offline jsk173

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: May 26, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
Booked 2 Business class tickets (comped by my company) on elal paid 5,200$ each tickets. The return flight was supposed to leave 12:30 am on Friday and then elal changed it to 7am. I didn't want to risk with shabbos so my travel agent got elal to put me on the Thursday night 11pm united flight. My friend got Bussines and I was put on economy. How can I work the compensation. Also I booked it on Amex Starwood should I just dispute the charge?

Disputing the charge is highly ill-advised.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: May 26, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »
The main lesson from this experience is to always fly on an EU/Switzerland/Norway-based airline when flying to those destinations. That way, EC 261 applies, and the compensation is already predetermined.

Remember, there's no free lunch here. The mandatory EU compensation doesn't just magically come out of the airlines' profits; it's built into the fare, just like any other business expense.

Maybe you answered and I missed it, but how much did you pay for the ticket in question? Unless there was some sort of extraordinary screw-up, businesses almost never compensate customers beyond the price paid for the service in question.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #3201 on: May 26, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »
Remember, there's no free lunch here. The mandatory EU compensation doesn't just magically come out of the airlines' profits; it's built into the fare, just like any other business expense.

Maybe you answered and I missed it, but how much did you pay for the ticket in question? Unless there was some sort of extraordinary screw-up, businesses almost never compensate customers beyond the price paid for the service in question.
Are the EU airlines really more expensive than the US ones for the same routes?
The thing with the hamster is that running on the wheel is actually what it is trying to do.

Offline lg10

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: May 26, 2017, 06:30:06 PM »
Are the EU airlines really more expensive than the US ones for the same routes?

No, they are not significantly more expensive than non-EU airlines. In many cases, they are actually less expensive for an arguably better quality of service.

It seems that those making the argument that mandatory compensation increases fares forget that economic forces prevent a great disparity in fares. If that were the case, then virtually no one would fly on the more expensive airlines since the potential payoff of guaranteed compensation in the event of irregular operations would be less than the upfront savings of the non-EU carrier. Given the current state of the airline industry, it is clear that EU carriers as a whole are surviving just as well as their non-EU counterparts.

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: May 26, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
No, they are not significantly more expensive than non-EU airlines. In many cases, they are actually less expensive for an arguably better quality of service.

It seems that those making the argument that mandatory compensation increases fares forget that economic forces prevent a great disparity in fares. If that were the case, then virtually no one would fly on the more expensive airlines since the potential payoff of guaranteed compensation in the event of irregular operations would be less than the upfront savings of the non-EU carrier. Given the current state of the airline industry, it is clear that EU carriers as a whole are surviving just as well as their non-EU counterparts.

The mandatory compensation is a known expense and doesn't just get paid magically. That money has to come from somewhere, whether it's lower labor costs, maintenance shortcuts, higher fares, and/or a combination of any number of other factors.

Offline nocknock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: May 28, 2017, 12:57:12 AM »
FRA-JFK LH

No kosher meals (booked 8 hrs before flight)

6000 miles or 50 euro in flight spending voucher

Offline EJB

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: May 28, 2017, 01:56:37 AM »
FRA-JFK LH

No kosher meals (booked 8 hrs before flight)

6000 miles or 50 euro in flight spending voucher

Wow, surprised they gave you anything

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: May 28, 2017, 02:07:18 AM »
The mandatory compensation is a known expense and doesn't just get paid magically. That money has to come from somewhere, whether it's lower labor costs, maintenance shortcuts, higher fares, and/or a combination of any number of other factors.
Or they just place a greater focus on avoidance. If the downsides are not something which people seem to have experienced then apparently the costs were worthwhile. Just that there is a cost is not really a problem if we can't even find it.
The thing with the hamster is that running on the wheel is actually what it is trying to do.

Offline Elikip

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: May 28, 2017, 02:51:10 AM »
Air Berlin delayed/damaged luggage
150 euro voucher

Offline jsk173

• View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: May 28, 2017, 01:23:31 PM »
Or they just place a greater focus on avoidance. If the downsides are not something which people seem to have experienced then apparently the costs were worthwhile. Just that there is a cost is not really a problem if we can't even find it.

Not sure what you mean by this. Yesterday's BA meltdown potentially has BA on the hook for a massive compensation bill. That money isn't going to appear out of thin air.

Offline aygart

• View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: May 28, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
Not sure what you mean by this. Yesterday's BA meltdown potentially has BA on the hook for a massive compensation bill. That money isn't going to appear out of thin air.
I'm not sure what you are getting at. This compensation has been shown over time to be beneficial at minimal cost.