Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099094 times)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3900 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:57 AM »
PS777 my seat didn’t recline, any chance I'll get something?
you wouldn't be a good yeshiva bachur if you didn't get anything

Offline NumbersGuy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: October 14, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
First time trying to get compensation so apologies if this question is really simple:

I was on an Alitalia flight from JFK-FCO that was delayed just more than 4 hours. After requesting 600 EU compensation under EC 261/2004, the request was denied for the following reason:

"After investigation, our records show that the flight in question was caused by the late arrival of previous flight which was delayed due to operational reasons, an unfortunate occurrence totally beyond the airline's control.

Please note that no compensation is due on this occasion as outlined in Article 5.3 and Recital 14 of EC 261/2004 that the liability of an airline is exonerated when the cancellation of a flight is due to 'extraordinary circumstances' which could not have been avoided even if reasonable measures had been taken."

Now, I'm pretty sure that operational reasons are not considered 'extraordinary circumstances', and even if they are, the fact that they occurred on the incoming flight, and not this flight itself, would mean that liability is not waived. But how do I best go about effectively making that argument?

Thank you for the assistance

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #3902 on: October 14, 2018, 09:52:45 AM »
First time trying to get compensation so apologies if this question is really simple:

I was on an Alitalia flight from JFK-FCO that was delayed just more than 4 hours. After requesting 600 EU compensation under EC 261/2004, the request was denied for the following reason:

"After investigation, our records show that the flight in question was caused by the late arrival of previous flight which was delayed due to operational reasons, an unfortunate occurrence totally beyond the airline's control.

Please note that no compensation is due on this occasion as outlined in Article 5.3 and Recital 14 of EC 261/2004 that the liability of an airline is exonerated when the cancellation of a flight is due to 'extraordinary circumstances' which could not have been avoided even if reasonable measures had been taken."

Now, I'm pretty sure that operational reasons are not considered 'extraordinary circumstances', and even if they are, the fact that they occurred on the incoming flight, and not this flight itself, would mean that liability is not waived. But how do I best go about effectively making that argument?

SOP from AZ to claim "extraordinary". You might want to get in touch with "EU261 Farms". IIRC you need 6 hours delay

Offline shapsam

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: October 14, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
SOP from AZ to claim "extraordinary". You might want to get in touch with "EU261 Farms". IIRC you need 6 hours delay
You need to arrive at least 3 hours late to your destination.

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: October 14, 2018, 11:27:42 AM »
You need to arrive at least 3 hours late to your destination.
4 hours for intercontinental flights

Offline a good yeshiva bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: October 14, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
you wouldn't be a good yeshiva bachur if you didn't get anything
any idea who to contact?

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: October 15, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »

I had the same experience (with a much more severe delay on Alitalia).  The airline tried to shirk responsibility so I had to follow up with ENAC which is the Italian airline regulator.  First you should review your rights here: https://www.enac.gov.it/en/passengers/passengers-rights

If you determine that you qualify for compensation, you can reach them via the online form at http://moduliweb.enac.gov.it/applicazioni/cartadiritti/modulo_261.asp

Attach all your correspondence with the airline and explain in detail what happened.

The form in in Italian so use Google translate to help you. I followed up on the  online form with an email to the regulators telling them that I had done the form online - (cartadiritti@enac.gov.it and sistema.aeroportilazio@enac.gov.it) and again attaching all correspondence.

The regulator reviews the complaint and then passes it on to the airport regulator and then they go to the airline.

In my case, I finally heard back from Alitalia about 10 months later and they fully compensated.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:48:31 AM by Ploni3 »

Offline NumbersGuy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: October 16, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »
I had the same experience (with a much more severe delay on Alitalia).  The airline tried to shirk responsibility so I had to follow up with ENAC which is the Italian airline regulator.  First you should review your rights here: https://www.enac.gov.it/en/passengers/passengers-rights

If you determine that you qualify for compensation, you can reach them via the online form at http://moduliweb.enac.gov.it/applicazioni/cartadiritti/modulo_261.asp

Attach all your correspondence with the airline and explain in detail what happened.

The form in in Italian so use Google translate to help you. I followed up on the  online form with an email to the regulators telling them that I had done the form online - (cartadiritti@enac.gov.it and sistema.aeroportilazio@enac.gov.it) and again attaching all correspondence.

The regulator reviews the complaint and then passes it on to the airport regulator and then they go to the airline.

In my case, I finally heard back from Alitalia about 10 months later and they fully compensated.

Thanks Ploni, this is very helpful. In your case, did you have any further correspondence with Alitalia beyond their initially denying responsibility?

Offline helpyouamdme

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • contact ‘Kоѕhеr Ski Club’ for the experience of a lifetime!
« Reply #3908 on: October 16, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
Just got a $750 voucher from United, after being moved from our reserved bassinet seat because of a aircraft change. 👍👍👍

Online nafnaf12

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: October 16, 2018, 08:35:26 PM »
Just got a $750 voucher from United, after being moved from our reserved bassinet seat because of a aircraft change. 👍👍👍
awesome, what route?
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline helpyouamdme

• View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: October 16, 2018, 08:36:02 PM »

Online nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: October 16, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »
UA 91
for this Thursday? Or this happened already?
Asking because the seat map on UA90 / 91 is showing what I think is PE.

Offline helpyouamdme

• View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: October 16, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
for this Thursday? Or this happened already?
Asking because the seat map on UA90 / 91 is showing what I think is PE.
No it was on oct. 6

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: October 16, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »
Just got a $750 voucher from United, after being moved from our reserved bassinet seat because of a aircraft change.
Nice!
Which class did you fly?

Online nafnaf12

• View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: October 16, 2018, 10:16:04 PM »
Nice!
Which class did you fly?
economy
Biz doesn't have bassinet on UA91 AFAIK

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: October 16, 2018, 10:28:28 PM »
economy
Biz doesn't have bassinet on UA91 AFAIK
Wow!
That's nice comp

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:30 AM »
Thanks Ploni, this is very helpful. In your case, did you have any further correspondence with Alitalia beyond their initially denying responsibility?
I was back and forth with them a few times in order to get them to spell out what exactly the delay cause was so I'd be better equipped to lodge my complaint, if they didn't come to the realization that they were liable, themselves, which they didn't.

Offline helpyouamdme

• View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: October 18, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
Update, i got a total of $950  :)

Offline Saver

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: October 24, 2018, 12:52:13 AM »
Hi! I really need your help. We were travelling to a family Simcha with Frontier four tickets going from Denver to St Louis $50 each one way. They cancelled the flight for mechanical problems and gave us two choices 1- to rebook us on a different flight and give us $100 voucher ..but the earliest flight we could go on was three days later and we would miss the Simcha and 2-they would refund the money and give us $100 voucher right away and a $400 voucher per person for future travel that they would send in 7-10 business days. We would have to book our own tickets.
We ended up booking four tickets for later that day to Chicago (and had to book two separate flights for each two people) at a cost of $1,200 as well as take two trains and travel four hours to our location from Chicago. We schlepped all day and got there late at night. However, when we got the vouchers they put insane restrictions: you can only use it in the name of person issued and once you use the 400 voucher for person even if it has an credit left it gets discarded. You also have to book these tickets within 90 days.
 Any suggestions of what to do?

Offline Saver

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: October 24, 2018, 01:08:14 AM »
Just a thought..I bought these tickets on frontier on my chase saphire card is there anything that they would cover?