Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098775 times)

Offline Zevi16

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #3920 on: October 24, 2018, 02:13:39 PM »
Recently flew from JFK to FLL with delta and as the plane was taxiing down the runway about a liter or more of water came out of the ceiling and landed on me and my seat. The whole takeoff, till about 10k ft, me, my wife and 2 kids were on 1.5 seats instead of 3.
During the flight I emailed them about it to the wecare@delta.com email but got no response. I sent the same thing again but I cc’d the 3 executive emails I found but still no response.
Today I sent it to them direct and I got a VM within 2 hours from some executive in Atlanta wanting to talk to me.
Does she just want to apologize or offer compensation? How should I go about the call?
Update: After reimbursing full tickets, giving a $280 check for a suit, and a $75 gift card to many stores of my choice they just emailed me saying that i can get for the other 2 passengers an additional $75 gift card each. So in total, we are at $500 (Tickets reimbursed), $280 cash & $225 to amazon.
I feel @yelped is right and they are trying to cover this up as it could be pretty bad for them

Offline metsgiantsfan

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: November 01, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
flight from TLV to NYC yesterday with a stop over in London on British Air.  In London they delayed 1.5 hours only to then cancel the flight for mechanical problems. They Paid for hotel and put on flight today.  total inconvience. What type of compensation if any should be handed out? (asking for a friend)

Offline shaulyaakov

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: November 01, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »
flight from TLV to NYC yesterday with a stop over in London on British Air.  In London they delayed 1.5 hours only to then cancel the flight for mechanical problems. They Paid for hotel and put on flight today.  total inconvience. What type of compensation if any should be handed out? (asking for a friend)
Should be either Israel or UK compensation, whichever is better.

Offline metsgiantsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: November 01, 2018, 03:15:57 PM »
what does that mean? they call british and ask for compensation if that country currency>

Offline jmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: November 01, 2018, 04:39:24 PM »
what does that mean? they call british and ask for compensation if that country currency>
Israel and Europe both have laws regarding this. He's saying research which one will provide more and then claim to the airline that law. You may have to be persistent. Air Canada tried to give me 10% off a future ticket. I emailed them back quoting the law and got a check for 830$.  Good luck.

Offline metsgiantsfan

• View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: November 04, 2018, 09:00:53 PM »
Israel and Europe both have laws regarding this. He's saying research which one will provide more and then claim to the airline that law. You may have to be persistent. Air Canada tried to give me 10% off a future ticket. I emailed them back quoting the law and got a check for 830$.  Good luck.

do i do this over the phone with an agent or mail a letter/email?

Offline KSMH

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: November 05, 2018, 03:05:12 AM »
Airline: South Africa
Flight: CPT-JNB
Class: Buisness (award ticket)
Incident: No Kosher meal
Compensation: $50 United Voucher

Ticked was thru United awards. A Kosher meal was ordered but not served.
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline jmz

• View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: November 06, 2018, 02:34:55 AM »
do i do this over the phone with an agent or mail a letter/email?
Try email. It could take a few weeks.

Offline PPM

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: November 09, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »
Does anyone have experience with BA claim for EU delay. How long does it take to get the money back?
I got back this respons..
Any suggestions?

Dear Miss

Thanks for contacting us about your EU compensation claim.

Your claim’s been refused because BA0115 on 16 September was delayed because of issues with the cargo hold and adverse weather conditions which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled.  Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

The delay caused by the cargo hold was 178 minutes which is not more than 3 hours which would trigger eligibility for EU compensation. The additional 14 minutes delay was then caused in the air due to jet stream winds over the Atlantic and being held when arriving in New York.

We take all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight and we always consider if there are any operational options available before we make a decision.  We’re very sorry the delay was necessary in this case.

Thanks for following this up with us.  Please feel free to contact us if we can help you any further and I hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon.

Best regards

British Airways Customer Relations Executive
Your case reference is

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: November 10, 2018, 07:20:24 PM »
Wow. Classic European arrogance.

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: November 12, 2018, 06:08:23 PM »
Hi! I really need your help. We were travelling to a family Simcha with Frontier four tickets going from Denver to St Louis $50 each one way. They cancelled the flight for mechanical problems and gave us two choices 1- to rebook us on a different flight and give us $100 voucher ..but the earliest flight we could go on was three days later and we would miss the Simcha and 2-they would refund the money and give us $100 voucher right away and a $400 voucher per person for future travel that they would send in 7-10 business days. We would have to book our own tickets.
We ended up booking four tickets for later that day to Chicago (and had to book two separate flights for each two people) at a cost of $1,200 as well as take two trains and travel four hours to our location from Chicago. We schlepped all day and got there late at night. However, when we got the vouchers they put insane restrictions: you can only use it in the name of person issued and once you use the 400 voucher for person even if it has an credit left it gets discarded. You also have to book these tickets within 90 days.
 Any suggestions of what to do?

Are you sure the $400 per person cant be used to reimburse for the flight you had to rebook? Thats what they gave us when they cancelled, and it worked out pretty good. Booked a ticket to where we wanted to go on American and they reimbursed us. If it's just a credit on Frontier its pretty worthless.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: November 13, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
I recently stayed 3 nights at a hotel using UR to book. I booked a 2 bedroom suite. They checked me in to a 1 bedroom suite, due to no 2 bedroom availability . I asked to speak to the GM , after some negotiation they agreed I would stay in the 1 bedroom suite and they would refund me for 2 nights. I hardly doubted it would happen, so I did my utmost to actually get a refund. I requested the GM type me up a detailed letter of what happened, who the 3rd booking party was, and they'll refund 2 nights. They retyped the letter 3 times so that it should look presentable and included all details. I called chase they transferred me to a rep. whom told me to send them the letter, once that was done they followed up with me confirming the 3rd party booking platform was refunded for 2 nights and they'll credited my miles back.

Chase can refund miles.

“Hi Mr. xxx,

I am glad to inform you that xxxxxxx  HOTEL, refunded 2 nights of your reservation.

Since you uses your Chase points to purchase the reservation, I requested to refund xx,304 Pts back to your Chase account.

Please allow 3-5 business days to reflect the points back to your account.

For you to track your Chase points her is the updated balance before the refund.

Total: xxx Pending:xxx Available:xxx”

Offline ludmila

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #3932 on: November 13, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
Thanks for the info, should have posted in the hotel compensation thread .
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: November 13, 2018, 09:47:36 PM »
Sorry reposted.

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: November 17, 2018, 10:59:05 PM »
Al Italia Y baggage arrived 2 days late.
What and how is my best shot?

Offline Miracle

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: November 18, 2018, 11:21:23 PM »
Hi,

I would like it if someone can tell me what my rights were regarding compensation for the following situation.
Note: I was traveling with my wife and 5 children, ages 12,10,7, and 3.5 twins

We had a 12pm flight from Chicago to JFK that got cancelled because of weather.
They automatically put us on a 430 PM flight to La Guardia (fyi, I specifically did NOT want to fly to La Guardia when I booked my flights. I paid extra for JFK because LGA is not an easy airport to deal with) but put us on standby flight 130 going to LGA. They put all 6 of our luggages on that stand by flight, saying worse case, if there's no room for us on the 130, at least we have seats on the 430 and our luggages will just wait for us for 3 hours in LGA.

When we tried getting on the flight, everyone refused to take us on since we were 7 people and we would not be sitting together. They didn't let us split up our seats (within the plane) because we had little children. So they adviced us to just stick it out until 430 which was OK with us. We didn't care too much.

Now we're on the 430 flight. 10 minutes before arrival, the Pilot says we're not able to land in LGA and we're landing in JFK (our original destination!!!!!) the problem is - OUR LUGGAGE was at LGA from the 130 standby flight!! Of course we were stuck on the plan for 2 hours because we didn't have a terminal or crew to bring the plane in.. by this time, it was 10pm

We went to baggage claim hoping for them to deliver our luggage to my dad's car, since he was waiting for us in LGA. They told us it's not possible because our luggage was in Boston since the 130 flight got diverted there. It was 12 am and they told us we'd get our luggage delivered the next day. We got an email saying they located our luggage and it would arrive Fri around 1pm. It came Shabbos night, 11 pm...

What is American Airlines suppose to give us, legally? We don't know what to ask for. I asked them for compensation, they said it was the "act of Gd" and they couldn't give us anything.

I booked the tickets on Sapphire Pref Card, they told me we'd get $100 per luggage per day for whatever American Airline doesn't pay.

Please advise. Thanks

Offline Joe4007

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: November 19, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »
Hi,

I would like it if someone can tell me what my rights were regarding compensation for the following situation.
Note: I was traveling with my wife and 5 children, ages 12,10,7, and 3.5 twins

We had a 12pm flight from Chicago to JFK that got cancelled because of weather.
They automatically put us on a 430 PM flight to La Guardia (fyi, I specifically did NOT want to fly to La Guardia when I booked my flights. I paid extra for JFK because LGA is not an easy airport to deal with) but put us on standby flight 130 going to LGA. They put all 6 of our luggages on that stand by flight, saying worse case, if there's no room for us on the 130, at least we have seats on the 430 and our luggages will just wait for us for 3 hours in LGA.

When we tried getting on the flight, everyone refused to take us on since we were 7 people and we would not be sitting together. They didn't let us split up our seats (within the plane) because we had little children. So they adviced us to just stick it out until 430 which was OK with us. We didn't care too much.

Now we're on the 430 flight. 10 minutes before arrival, the Pilot says we're not able to land in LGA and we're landing in JFK (our original destination!!!!!) the problem is - OUR LUGGAGE was at LGA from the 130 standby flight!! Of course we were stuck on the plan for 2 hours because we didn't have a terminal or crew to bring the plane in.. by this time, it was 10pm

We went to baggage claim hoping for them to deliver our luggage to my dad's car, since he was waiting for us in LGA. They told us it's not possible because our luggage was in Boston since the 130 flight got diverted there. It was 12 am and they told us we'd get our luggage delivered the next day. We got an email saying they located our luggage and it would arrive Fri around 1pm. It came Shabbos night, 11 pm...

What is American Airlines suppose to give us, legally? We don't know what to ask for. I asked them for compensation, they said it was the "act of Gd" and they couldn't give us anything.

I booked the tickets on Sapphire Pref Card, they told me we'd get $100 per luggage per day for whatever American Airline doesn't pay.

Please advise. Thanks
As was said in the other thread, there are no passanger "rights" in the US as it relates to this story.

Your CC insurance will hopefully help.

Offline Ekay

• View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: November 21, 2018, 01:46:36 PM »
Any luck getting compensated with lot polish? I filled out there online form over a month ago and still didn’t get a response.

Offline shaulyaakov

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: November 21, 2018, 01:53:07 PM »
Any luck getting compensated with lot polish? I filled out there online form over a month ago and still didn’t get a response.
If there was a us segment file with DoT which mandates a response within 30 days.

Offline Ekay

• View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: November 21, 2018, 03:46:14 PM »
If there was a us segment file with DoT which mandates a response within 30 days.
link?