Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099035 times)

Offline grodnoking

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 17
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4060 on: February 21, 2019, 12:43:04 AM »
Airline: United
Flight: Tlv-Ewr
Class: Business Purchased
Incident:  Flight was cancelled 2 tickets rebooked on stopover Polish Air economy plus - but the middle seat  and aisle. No kosher food on polish and no lounge access in Tlv or Warsaw
Compensation: $300 for each
Am I wrong to think that is awful?
That's terrible. When/how was this offered? You should be getting a lot more!
Personally wouldn't stop till get full refund+
I'm not who you think I am.

Offline mendyt

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: February 21, 2019, 12:45:23 AM »
Airline: United
Flight: Tlv-Ewr
Class: Business Purchased
Incident:  Flight was cancelled 2 tickets rebooked on stopover Polish Air economy plus - but the middle seat  and aisle. No kosher food on polish and no lounge access in Tlv or Warsaw
Compensation: $300 for each
Am I wrong to think that is awful?
Did they offer any other J and you refused?
Doesn't make sense. Even with LY you would get a voucher for a new round trip J

Offline bznt

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: February 21, 2019, 12:51:51 AM »
United
Stt - ewr
Entertainment control did not work.
Paid $125 for the flight . I got back $100.

Offline jack

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: February 21, 2019, 12:54:11 AM »
Did they offer any other J and you refused?
Doesn't make sense. Even with LY you would get a voucher for a new round trip J
Yes they offered 36 hours later
Was for my parents and they had to be home for an appointment the next day

Offline mendyt

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: February 21, 2019, 01:01:07 AM »
Yes they offered 36 hours later
Was for my parents and they had to be home for an appointment the next day
Wow.
Continue fighting

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #4065 on: February 21, 2019, 11:59:37 PM »
So this is the story. I had a flight JetBlue from JFK to LAS monday night 9:30. We boarded regular. 2 hours in we made an emergency landing in Chicago due to a malfunction of the smoke detector by the baggage compartment.  We had to get off the plane. About an hour later we are notified that JetBlue is looking for a new crew to take us to further  to LAS. A little later they tell us that we need to go back to jfk because the pilot cant fly legally more than another two hours and to LAS was 4. But they promised a ready plane that we will be able to hop on and leave asap, So we board and go back to JFK. In JFK the plane was not ready. After another two hours we started boarding.  The manifest was hand written so once we boarded they were trying to find all the people that didnt come back on the flight. (Some were going for 24 hours to the KBIS show and at this point there was no point in going)

From our original take off until we actually landed in LAS was 19 hours and three legs. And alot of motion sickness and turmoil.  :'(

Obviously hotel reservations got cancelled because of no show.

JetBlue gave us right away $325 travel bank credit. Was nice of them but not nearly enough IMO

How much compensation can I request and how should I go about? Use a company that does it or try on my own?
#TYH

Offline menachem

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: February 22, 2019, 12:33:36 AM »
So this is the story. I had a flight JetBlue from JFK to LAS monday night 9:30. We boarded regular. 2 hours in we made an emergency landing in Chicago due to a malfunction of the smoke detector by the baggage compartment.  We had to get off the plane. About an hour later we are notified that JetBlue is looking for a new crew to take us to further  to LAS. A little later they tell us that we need to go back to jfk because the pilot cant fly legally more than another two hours and to LAS was 4. But they promised a ready plane that we will be able to hop on and leave asap, So we board and go back to JFK. In JFK the plane was not ready. After another two hours we started boarding.  The manifest was hand written so once we boarded they were trying to find all the people that didnt come back on the flight. (Some were going for 24 hours to the KBIS show and at this point there was no point in going)

From our original take off until we actually landed in LAS was 19 hours and three legs. And alot of motion sickness and turmoil.  :'(

Obviously hotel reservations got cancelled because of no show.

JetBlue gave us right away $325 travel bank credit. Was nice of them but not nearly enough IMO

How much compensation can I request and how should I go about? Use a company that does it or try on my own?
I'd try on my own to get the max reasonable amount and see their response. If not happy with offer HUCA

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #4067 on: February 22, 2019, 12:36:44 AM »
I'd try on my own to get the max reasonable amount and see their response. If not happy with offer HUCA
No need to pay anyone, there is nothing they can do that you can't do yourself.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #4068 on: February 22, 2019, 12:56:21 AM »
No need to pay anyone, there is nothing they can do that you can't do yourself.
But what are things I can request for compensation?
Hotel?
Missed a day at the show?
Overall stress?
No meals in 20 hours?
#TYH

Offline Davlon

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: February 23, 2019, 08:29:00 PM »
What is the best way to handle this one?
I did not request compensation right away -- can I still do it?

I live in Israel.  I was scheduled to fly from TLV to Newark on Wed. December 26 at 11:10pm, (and then to get a connecting flight to Rochester, NY.)
I received an email from them on Wednesday morning, saying the flight would be delayed. Instead of taking off at 11:10pm that night it would be leaving Thursday morning at 8:02am.
That's a 9 hour delay.

Instead of going to the airport Wed night and sleeping on a chair, I decided to wake up at 4am and get a taxi to the airport -- 270 shekels -- ouch.
The plane did take off with *lots* of empty seats -- I'm guessing many people did not want to take an early morning taxi.

1. What is the best way to request compensation in this situation?
2. Can I submit my taxi receipt? It's in Hebrew
3. What's the best I can expect? I'd like money back -- I don't really need points.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: February 23, 2019, 08:30:56 PM »

I live in Israel.  I was scheduled to fly from TLV to Newark on Wed. December 26 at 11:10pm, (and then to get a connecting flight to Rochester, NY.)
I received an email from them on Wednesday morning, saying the flight would be delayed. Instead of taking off at 11:10pm that night it would be leaving Thursday morning at 8:02am.
That's a 9 hour delay.

Instead of going to the airport Wed night and sleeping on a chair, I decided to wake up at 4am and get a taxi to the airport -- 270 shekels -- ouch.
The plane did take off with *lots* of empty seats -- I'm guessing many people did not want to take an early morning taxi.

3. What's the best I can expect? I'd like money back -- I don't really need points.

3,000 NIS cash. Email customer service.

Offline Davlon

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4071 on: February 23, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
3,000 NIS cash. Email customer service.

Customer service in Israel or in the US?
When I google United Airlines Compensation, I get this site:

https://www.united.com/unitedcares/

Can I submit my taxi receipt also?

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: February 23, 2019, 08:36:24 PM »

That's a 9 hour delay.

It really depends why you were delayed. If it’s weather related you won’t get anything, not even your taxi. If not, you’re entitled to 3100 shekel under Israeli law, which is much more then your taxi! if you want to get compensated for your taxi as well, you can send it to them. The fact it’s in Hebrew is not a problem.

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: February 23, 2019, 08:38:03 PM »
Customer service in Israel or in the US?
When I google United Airlines Compensation, I get this site:

https://www.united.com/unitedcares/

Can I submit my taxi receipt also?
Dosn’t make a difference where you submit it to, it always gets to the same office.

Offline Davlon

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: February 23, 2019, 08:48:09 PM »
Dosn’t make a difference where you submit it to, it always gets to the same office.

They emailed me at 8am Wednesday to say the flight would be delayed until 8am Thursday. At the airport they told me the plane was late in arriving in Tel Aviv because of "maintenance"
Does that sound like a weather delay or a bad-planning delay? 

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: February 23, 2019, 09:16:11 PM »
They emailed me at 8am Wednesday to say the flight would be delayed until 8am Thursday. At the airport they told me the plane was late in arriving in Tel Aviv because of "maintenance"
Does that sound like a weather delay or a bad-planning delay?
“Maintenance” is definitely worth requesting compensation for. See how they respond and act accordingly.

Offline Jb93davis

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: February 26, 2019, 11:08:27 PM »
Southwest- A flight of mine (plus my companion) was canceled due to "mechanical" problems. (This likely is due to the mechanics union troubles). My flight was a direct flight from 5pm to 8pm. The only flight they offered me was the next day at 6am the next morning. The agent basically told me she had transferred me to that flight even without confirming I wanted it, which was really annoying since that flight wasn't helpful to me and I may have left it without changing it so I could argue they didn't help me. I ended up booking a flight on american airlines for $220 in basic economy, for each of us, one way and I was forced to not bring bags in the end. It ended up taking an extra four hours since it was a stopover.  Plus, my wife had to take off work in the end. I ended up canceling my 6am friday flight since I already got there. 
How much do you think I should expect for something like this? Any ideas if the companion deserves the same amount?
TIA

Offline Davlon

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: February 27, 2019, 07:07:04 PM »
“Maintenance” is definitely worth requesting compensation for. See how they respond and act accordingly.

Yochai,  here is the letter I wrote to them, and the answer is below -- should I settle for their $300 voucher?  It seems like way too low for what I went through:
It's like they're trying to be yotzi with the minimum - but the inconveneince was really hard for me.  I thought a 9 hour delay qualifies for 3,000 NIS compensation?

---

Customer Care--I am requesting compensation for a flight delay.

I was scheduled to fly from TLV to Newark on Wed. December 26 at 11:10pm, (and then to get a connecting flight to Rochester, NY.)

I received an email from United on Wednesday morning at 8:27am, saying the flight would be delayed. Instead of taking off at 11:10pm that night it would be leaving Thursday morning at 8:02am.  That's a 9 hour delay.    And United knew the flight would be delayed a full 24 hours before -- so it's clear that United had a planning and management issue that caused the flight delay. When I arrived at the airport Thursday morning, I was told by a United worker the plane had just arrived, about an hour before it was scheduled to depart TLV, delayed in  Newark because of maintenance.

And here is why I'm writing to you -- I am an older person with full disability here in Israel. It's hard for me to get around.  Instead of going to the airport Wed night and sleeping on a chair, I decided to wake up at 4am and get a taxi to the airport -- that cost me 270 Shekels out of pocket.  It would have been much less if I had taken the direct train to the airport the night before as planned.

I am requesting the maximum compensation available for a 9 hour flight delay.

---

And in their return email, I received  this:

An Electronic Travel Certificate has been issued -- Total Value: $300.00

By accepting this travel certificate you release United; the operating carrier, and their respective employees, agents and representatives from any and all liability, claims or damages resulting or arising from the matters relating to your flight, compensation therefore or any related complaint.

5) This Travel Certificate will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges, including excess baggage charges, pet charges, etc.

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: February 27, 2019, 09:47:12 PM »
Tell them you deserve full compensation under Israeli law and that you will not settle for the $300 voucher.

Offline ludmila

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton Diamond,Marriott Platinum,SPG Platinum.
« Reply #4079 on: February 27, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »
Tell them you deserve full compensation under Israeli law and that you will not settle for the $300 voucher.
+1 And keep us posted please with their final offer, good luck.
I was the Best,still the Best, and will always be the Best.
Pele Good,Maradona Better, George Best.