Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1110109 times)

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4280 on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:16 PM »
What were you unhappy with?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4281 on: July 04, 2019, 12:43:19 PM »
I received a $1,000 United travel voucher for United Flight 85 cancellation after mentioning Israel Mandatory Compensation Law (3,120 Shekalim)

Should have rather taken check for $875 imo

BTW I believe its 3080 ILS

Offline joey89

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: July 04, 2019, 04:55:54 PM »
B6

Equipment change without notice, booked on A320 with 3 seats in a row they changed to a E190 with 2 seats per row. It made traveling with a 3 yo, 2yo, and a 3 wk old baby very difficult as one of the children had to sit in his own row (I also was switched from the front of the plane to the middle which made me have to wait for everyone else to deplane).
$200 - travel bank.

On return flight, 2 hour delay for mechanical issues.
$75/pax - travel bank.

I do have mosaic status

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: July 09, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »
American Airlines delayed our flight from leaving at 11:59 am to leaving at 9:45 PM due to numerous reasons; weather, air pressure on plane, then mid flight we had to turn around bc of leak in engine, next plane we got had flat tire and then our crew timed out and had to wait for a new crew. After emailing them they gave the 6 passenger on our itinerary a voucher for $175 each. I don't this is enough since it caused us to miss our flight in Newark to Venice and many nonrefundable hotels and tours. Is there anything else I can do to get more?

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #4284 on: July 09, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »
American Airlines delayed our flight from leaving at 11:59 am to leaving at 9:45 PM due to numerous reasons; weather, air pressure on plane, then mid flight we had to turn around bc of leak in engine, next plane we got had flat tire and then our crew timed out and had to wait for a new crew. After emailing them they gave the 6 passenger on our itinerary a voucher for $175 each. I don't this is enough since it caused us to miss our flight in Newark to Venice and many nonrefundable hotels and tours. Is there anything else I can do to get more?
AA would be bankrupt if they gave proper compensation.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: July 10, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »
Up to how long does baggage on an international flight have to be delayed for coverage under the Montreal Convention?

If luggage is tagged under 1 passenger can I claim for 2nd passenger as well [max out on both] if they are on the same PNR?

Montreal Convention covers "lost" luggage, not delayed. It's considered lost after 21 days

Offline Proisrael

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG,Hilton,Club Carlson
« Reply #4286 on: July 11, 2019, 03:42:30 AM »
Friend of mine booked a flight with CX J from TLV-HKG-MNL. They forgot his luggage in TLV. He had pounds of meat/wine for shabbos/bread/chicken etc....he paid with points and the taxes he used the Barclays Red Aviator card. The luggage wont reach him until Sunday, What is his recourse?

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: July 11, 2019, 08:26:31 AM »
Montreal Convention covers "lost" luggage, not delayed. It's considered lost after 21 days
-1 US DOT disagrees with you.

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-delayed-or-damaged-baggage#maximum%20limits%20on%20liabilities

Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: July 14, 2019, 08:55:14 PM »
I received a $1,000 United travel voucher for United Flight 85 cancellation after mentioning Israel Mandatory Compensation Law (3,120 Shekalim)

My client got this email from UA over the weekend

Dear Mr. and Mrs. XXXXXX:

Thank you for your patience as our email volumes are peaking this summer.

I would like to extend my personal apology the negative impact to your schedule and for the inconvenience; any frustration is certainly understandable.

We understand accurate communication is essential, and how we convey information can help minimize inconvenience. Based on your comments, we could have done a better job on a number of fronts to get you home sooner.

As alternative options to your claim for compensation under Israeli Air Service Regulation, we would like to offer you a choice of a $1,000 (USD) United Travel Certificate* (redeemable and transferable toward the purchase of any United or United Express operated flight) or 30,000 United MileagePlus® miles (redeemable on flights operated by United, United Express or by Air Canada, ANA, Austrian, Lufthansa, SAS Scandinavian, Swiss, Thai and 20 additional Star Alliance partners worldwide.)

To view additional MileagePlus® services and award options within the world’s largest network, including Star Alliance and our other global partners, please visit us at: http://www.united.com/mileageplus.

Travel Certificates are valid for twelve (12) months and MileagePlus® miles are valid for 18 months.  If you are not already a MileagePlus® member, simply enroll online at: http://www.united.com/mileageplus, then respond with your new account number and we’ll credit your account.

If you desire one of these options, please let us know your preference and we’ll facilitate delivery via e-mail within 3-5 business days.  However, if you still wish to pursue cash compensation of ILS 3080.00 under the Israeli Law, please provide a US physical mailing address. Processing of your payment may take up to 6 weeks.

We consider it a privilege to serve you and look forward to the opportunity to see you aboard the friendly skies of United soon.

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: July 14, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
Why would any1 take a voucher over cash? Maybe 30k points? LOL

I wonder what their success rate (getting ppls to take a cert instead of cash)  is.

Online yelped

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: July 14, 2019, 10:54:46 PM »

I wonder what their success rate (getting ppls to take a cert instead of cash)  is.
For sure more than half. People would rather get a "free vacation" again. And the number sounds more than the cash option. What I really wonder is if anyone takes the points option.

Offline db23

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: hilton diamond,bonvoy gold, hertz president circle
« Reply #4291 on: July 16, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
1 hr flight delay on jet blue - non weather related. got $60 travel bank credit.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:33:49 AM by db23 »

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4292 on: July 17, 2019, 01:08:47 AM »

If someone has known use for the voucher, $1,000 > ₪3,080 (or ₪3,120)
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline chff

• View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: July 17, 2019, 01:12:45 AM »
If someone has known use for the voucher, $1,000 > ₪3,080 (or ₪3,120)
$1000 voucher vs about $865 check (will update when the check arrives). Hey, you can flip the voucher for about 80%....

Offline ExGingi

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 19
    • View Profile
  • Programs: בשורת הגאולה. From Exile to Redemption. GIYF. AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
« Reply #4294 on: July 17, 2019, 02:32:20 AM »
What I really wonder is if anyone takes the points option.

I wonder where they picked the 30,000 miles figure from, and whether they would negotiate a higher mileage offer (such as 100,000 - which would probably cost them less than cash or voucher offered).
I've been waiting over 5 years with bated breath for someone to say that!
-- Dan

Offline lazertek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #4295 on: July 17, 2019, 03:10:11 PM »
1hour and 15 minute delay with ba from LHR to TlV can i expect anything?
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline hvaces42

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: July 17, 2019, 04:05:26 PM »
1hour and 15 minute delay with ba from LHR to TlV can i expect anything?
To get laughed at by BA CS...
Fair warning - Any PMs sent in response to forum posts are fair game for ridicule in public.

Offline iluv2travel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: July 18, 2019, 03:42:34 PM »
UA flight yesterday from IAH to LGA delayed 1 hr 25 mins and then diverted to IAD because of thunderstorms in NYC area.  The delay didn't really bother me and I am well aware there is no compensation for weather related delays. 

However, they initially said diversion was to refuel and would then continue on to NY.  We landed in IAD close to 9 p.m. and after about an hour or so they said they are not flying that night, they would be flying 9 a.m. the following morning.  For starters, there was not a single hotel with availability within a 20+ miles radius of the airport.  Secondly I had important business meetings beginning at 9 a.m. that there was no way I could miss.  Having nowhere to sleep even if I wanted to and needing to get to NY ASAP, I rented a car and made the 4+ hour drive up leaving IAD at about after 11:30 p.m. because it took them over an hour to get the luggage out.

Thoughts on compensation expectations if any?

Offline Coinguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4298 on: July 18, 2019, 07:55:17 PM »
I was booked on an AA flight that was supposed to land at PHL at 5:30PM this afternoon. Once we boarded we sat on the plane for 1 hour, deplaned, after which the flight was cancelled. They rebooked me tomorrow morning on a flight leaving at 5:00AM landing at 7:00 AM. What can I expect considering they didn’t pay for a hotel since they said it was because of ATC?

Offline KSMH

• View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: July 18, 2019, 09:20:51 PM »
UA flight yesterday from IAH to LGA delayed 1 hr 25 mins and then diverted to IAD because of thunderstorms in NYC area.  The delay didn't really bother me and I am well aware there is no compensation for weather related delays. 

However, they initially said diversion was to refuel and would then continue on to NY.  We landed in IAD close to 9 p.m. and after about an hour or so they said they are not flying that night, they would be flying 9 a.m. the following morning.  For starters, there was not a single hotel with availability within a 20+ miles radius of the airport.  Secondly I had important business meetings beginning at 9 a.m. that there was no way I could miss.  Having nowhere to sleep even if I wanted to and needing to get to NY ASAP, I rented a car and made the 4+ hour drive up leaving IAD at about after 11:30 p.m. because it took them over an hour to get the luggage out.

Thoughts on compensation expectations if any?
Email them and depending on status you'll get some Voucher. You can request full comp for costs but YMMV.