Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098959 times)

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4700 on: December 27, 2021, 10:33:37 PM »
Flight on Southwest Airlines from LGA to MDW was delayed an hour. Received $150 voucher for each of the 5 passengers.

what's your secret? my flights have been delayed multiple times and nothing.

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: December 28, 2021, 01:23:03 AM »
Wait.
It took them a few weeks but eventually it paid off.
December 21, 2021

Hello Ad120:

On behalf of American Airlines, thank you for contacting Customer Relations. Ad120, we appreciate the opportunity to address your claim for compensation based on the Israeli Aviation Services Laws guidelines.

We regret your flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and impact on your travel plans this irregularity caused. It is never our intent to create difficulties for you, or any of our passengers, and appreciate that this disruption was a frustrating experience.

As you have correctly identified, the Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation or Change of Conditions), 5772 -2012 has established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of cancellations or long delays of flights. Under this regulation, in the event of a flight cancellation or delay, passengers are entitled to established levels of compensation. However, this regulation does not apply when a flight is delayed for less than 8 hours departing its origin city or a flight is cancelled or delayed due to weather or Air Traffic Control issues. Since flight AA1922 was delayed less than 8 hours, American Airlines is not required to provide the compensation you have referred to.

Our records indicate flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed 134 minutes from departure; with arrival into New York-JFK, 327 minutes from schedule. While we regret the impact this delay had on your travel plans from Miami to Tel Aviv; no compensation under the Air Passenger Rights Regulations is warranted.

Ad120, again, we apologize for the travel difficulties encountered. We hope you will give us the opportunity to create a more positive travel experience in the future.

Sincerely,

Jason Thorn

Customer Relations

American Airlines

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: December 28, 2021, 01:23:30 AM »
December 21, 2021

Hello Ad120:

On behalf of American Airlines, thank you for contacting Customer Relations. Ad120, we appreciate the opportunity to address your claim for compensation based on the Israeli Aviation Services Laws guidelines.

We regret your flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and impact on your travel plans this irregularity caused. It is never our intent to create difficulties for you, or any of our passengers, and appreciate that this disruption was a frustrating experience.

As you have correctly identified, the Aviation Services Law (Compensation and Assistance for Flight Cancellation or Change of Conditions), 5772 -2012 has established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of cancellations or long delays of flights. Under this regulation, in the event of a flight cancellation or delay, passengers are entitled to established levels of compensation. However, this regulation does not apply when a flight is delayed for less than 8 hours departing its origin city or a flight is cancelled or delayed due to weather or Air Traffic Control issues. Since flight AA1922 was delayed less than 8 hours, American Airlines is not required to provide the compensation you have referred to.

Our records indicate flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed 134 minutes from departure; with arrival into New York-JFK, 327 minutes from schedule. While we regret the impact this delay had on your travel plans from Miami to Tel Aviv; no compensation under the Air Passenger Rights Regulations is warranted.

Ad120, again, we apologize for the travel difficulties encountered. We hope you will give us the opportunity to create a more positive travel experience in the future.

Sincerely,

Jason Thorn

Customer Relations

American Airlines
Good Day Jason;

AA 1922 was CANCELLED due to a mechanical issue. We NEVER departed to JFK and I therefore was not able to make my connection in JFK. I was therefore therefore REBOOKED  on AA 52 on 11/17/2021 08:05 PM 24 HOURS later. Check the PNR.

I am attaching my original itinerary to this email.

I am attaching notification of a flight delay to 09:45 PM that I received at 08:53 PM while sitting in my seat on the aircraft.

I am attaching a notification of change my flight itinerary that I received at 09:32 PM.

I am attaching my new rebooked itinerary to this email.

Your claim that I was not affected or delayed more than 8 hours is simply erroneous. I am entitled to FULL compensation under Israel Air Services Law.

Thank You

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: December 28, 2021, 01:30:11 AM »
Good Day Jason;

AA 1922 was CANCELLED due to a mechanical issue. We NEVER departed to JFK and I therefore was not able to make my connection in JFK. I was therefore therefore REBOOKED  on AA 52 on 11/17/2021 08:05 PM 24 HOURS later. Check the PNR.

I am attaching my original itinerary to this email.

I am attaching notification of a flight delay to 09:45 PM that I received at 08:53 PM while sitting in my seat on the aircraft.

I am attaching a notification of change my flight itinerary that I received at 09:32 PM.

I am attaching my new rebooked itinerary to this email.

Your claim that I was not affected or delayed more than 8 hours is simply erroneous. I am entitled to FULL compensation under Israel Air Services Law.

Thank You
This is a real Chutzpah. I was livid when I read AA's email. They claimed that my original flight wasn't cancelled. They claimed that it was delayed. That is hillarious because they rebooked me and put me up in a hotel for the night. Another point is that they are saying: "Our records indicate flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed 134 minutes from departure; with arrival into New York-JFK, 327 minutes from schedule. While we regret the impact this delay had on your travel plans from Miami to Tel Aviv; no compensation under the Air Passenger Rights Regulations is warranted."
If they flight was delayed as they claim, then I would have landed in JFK after my flight from JFK to TLV would have departed and I would missed my connection.

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: December 28, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
Any thoughts on what to do next?
You already responded to their email. What’s next? Now you wait for them to get back to you.

If they deny you after that, you can go the DOT complaint route.

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: December 29, 2021, 01:17:07 AM »
You already responded to their email. What’s next? Now you wait for them to get back to you.

If they deny you after that, you can go the DOT complaint route.
DOT will not enforce IASL.

Offline m65

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: December 29, 2021, 03:43:52 AM »
dl3644 dtw-ewr
family of 6
2+ hour delay
flight took off, half hour into flight, plane turned around and landed in dtw due to mechanical issues.
what compensation can i demand?

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: December 29, 2021, 09:06:55 PM »
what's your secret? my flights have been delayed multiple times and nothing.

It really depends on the airline, have you tried asking Southwest Airlines for compensation for a delay before?

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: December 29, 2021, 10:27:35 PM »
It really depends on the airline, have you tried asking Southwest Airlines for compensation for a delay before?

yep, along with united and AA.

complained about delays, broken TVs, seats that dont move etc...

at most i usually get like 500 miles for my complaints and that doesnt happen often.

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: December 29, 2021, 10:49:28 PM »
yep, along with united and AA.

complained about delays, broken TVs, seats that dont move etc...

at most i usually get like 500 miles for my complaints and that doesnt happen often.

Hmm, not sure what I do differently maybe it’s just luck depending on the representative that responds?

Offline new york jets

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: January 08, 2022, 07:06:56 PM »
My husband and I along with two of our kids had a mess of a trip on United from Newark to Montrose. Checked 11 bags. Flight was cancelled, had to go standby on different flights with connections.   We all made it to Montrose that day on different flight.  Only 6 bags showed up. I filed a claim for missing bags at the airport and received a case number. 3 more bags came a few days later. Since we are on a ski trip we were missing a lot of stuff and had to purchase a lot.  I was told United would reimburse us for expenses for clothing footwear and toiletries purchased while bags were missing. Two bags are still missing and likely lost.  I know we can each get back up to $3500 for the delayed bags and also for the lost bags. My question is this - is it a combined max of $3500 for the delayed and the lost bag per person or is it $3500 for delayed bag max and $3500 for lost bag max for s total of $7,000?  I also have travel insurance that covers $2000 for delayed bag and $2000 for lost bag per person. I am trying to figure out how to handle this claim. I have called United and they have given very confusing info.
Also - Do I fill out one claim form for the delayed bags and the lost bags? What am I entitled to recover?  is it one claim form that I fill out on the United site for the delayed bags and the lost baggage or do I complete two forms with the same claim number? This is confusing and I want to make sure I do it right so I get paid back if it’s one claim form if it’s just the one form so I include everything I bought plus receipt for everything that was in the lost bags?
Any help is appreciated.

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4711 on: January 08, 2022, 08:39:21 PM »
Sorry for your trouble.

I don't have so much experience with lost bags, but it's not $7000 a bag. They'll reimburse for the things you needed to buy and then if lost pay for the bag up to the max.

https://www.transportation.gov/lost-delayed-or-damaged-baggage

It says it's $3800 per bag day so your info might be old.

Travel insurance will want you to claim from the airline first. If your expenses go above, they will kick in. Might be a good idea to let them know you had an incident.

Offline ybest11

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: January 11, 2022, 05:27:55 AM »
I had a United flight to Israel in May that was cancelled during the war with Gaza. Can they use this as a legitimate reason to deny compensation based on Israel’s Aviation Services Law? I was able to fly on El Al on my own dime.

Offline HoKo

• View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: January 11, 2022, 11:26:48 AM »
I was scheduled to fly on AA CLT-MIA-ANU with an early morning departure from CLT on 4/15.

AA moved up the MIA-ANU flight departure time by a couple hours, thereby creating a situation where there are no flights departing from CLT early enough to make my connecting flight.

So they rescheduled the CLT-MIA segment to the evening of 4/14 and I'll need to spend an unexpected night in MIA.

Does AA owe me anything in this scenario and/or can I argue they should cover the cost of my hotel stay in MIA...I am pretty sure the answer is "No" but I figured it was worth double-checking.

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #4714 on: January 12, 2022, 04:52:00 PM »
DOT will not enforce IASL.

You would need to have a lawyer sue them, or threaten to.

Offline ZCN

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: January 17, 2022, 12:36:48 AM »
Question: Is compensation under the Aviation Services Law (Israel) counted towards expenses that my travel insurance would cover? We are being compensated simply because of the law, and have not proven any expenses we incurred to American. Would we be allowed to claim from our travel insurance for the expenses that we did incur?

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: January 17, 2022, 12:54:08 AM »
Question: Is compensation under the Aviation Services Law (Israel) counted towards expenses that my travel insurance would cover? We are being compensated simply because of the law, and have not proven any expenses we incurred to American. Would we be allowed to claim from our travel insurance for the expenses that we did incur?
You're insurance would probably ask for proof that you're not being compensated by the airline.

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4717 on: January 17, 2022, 08:19:56 AM »
No. Expenses that the insurance pays is separate from cash compensation

Offline m65

• View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: January 22, 2022, 06:58:49 PM »
dl3644 dtw-ewr dec 28th
family of 6
2+ hour delay
flight took off, half hour into flight, plane turned around and landed in dtw due to mechanical issues.
family was forced to sleep in terminal overnight without stroller which was broken by crew
no kosher food options either
they were treated not nicely by crew as well

who can i email my sob story to at delta, that would be able to arrange for proper compensation?

Offline yeshivabucher

• View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #4719 on: January 22, 2022, 07:16:24 PM »
PUTPAC