Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099029 times)

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4740 on: February 02, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »
@Yaalili keep us posted please. I had a very similar situation on Sunday with a flight from NAS to JFK (except that I had to wait around 2.5 hours for luggage and they also decided to send my gate-checked stroller to the baggage claim so I had to schlep my baby around the airport together with all my carry-on). B6 has really gone downhill.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: February 02, 2022, 09:44:22 AM »
Per their “Bill of Rights”, $50 is their standard amount for your experience.

You can always try asking for more of course.

Other airlines don’t even have a standard, so a minimum amount is a good starting point.

I think that exactly is their problem. Airlines that don’t have a structure, can review each individual situation, and assess appropriately.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: February 02, 2022, 09:45:20 AM »
@Yaalili keep us posted please. I had a very similar situation on Sunday with a flight from NAS to JFK (except that I had to wait around 2.5 hours for luggage and they also decided to send my gate-checked stroller to the baggage claim so I had to schlep my baby around the airport together with all my carry-on). B6 has really gone downhill.

They won’t budge from their “customer bill of rights” response. Got same reply on Twitter too. It is what it is..

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: February 02, 2022, 11:13:11 AM »
They won’t budge from their “customer bill of rights” response. Got same reply on Twitter too. It is what it is..

Just looked at their "Bill of Rights" and it's a disaster and random. For example, compensation for an onboard ground delay on departure only begins after 3 hours, but on arrival begins after 1 hours. What's the difference? Your butt is on the seat for the same amount of time total!

Also, an onboard ground delay on departure of under 5 hours only pays $100! I'd like to see the JetBlue executives who wrote this sit on a hot plane for 5 hours with their screaming kids for $100.

And some situations are not even covered...does that mean no compensation? What if we land on time and then luggage is delayed for hours?

The USA really needs some sort of compensation law. This would never fly in Europe or Israel.

Offline dealsrus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: February 02, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »
I received $100 x2, not for the kids. I called and they were able to issue for each child.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: February 02, 2022, 11:38:40 AM »
I received $100 x2, not for the kids. I called and they were able to issue for each child.

x2 meaning for 2 people?

Was this for a flight this past Sunday? How and when did you reach out?

Offline dealsrus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: February 02, 2022, 12:15:47 PM »
x2 meaning for 2 people?

Was this for a flight this past Sunday? How and when did you reach out?
Ya, I had 2 reservations one with 1 adult and 5 kids and 2nd with one adult. Was for flight from tpa to jfk on sunday 8:26pm I ended up cancelling the tickets and getting a full refund.
First received 2 email for me and my wife, when I called they said they didn't have any email for the kids. So added my email address and they sent them each. I asked about hotel or car rental expense, they said that weather related so he can't do anything more.
email received yesterday.
We’re sorry that you did not experience the high standard of service we aim to provide every JetBlue customer. Please accept our sincere apologies and this flight credit for the inconvenience you recently experienced with us. Travel Credit Details
Type of Travel Credit: Bill of Rights
Travel Credit Amount: 100.00
Total Available Account Balance: 100.00 USD

2nd email afterwards
We sincerely apologize for the disruption to your JetBlue flight due to Winter Storm Kenan. Our goal is to offer you the best in air travel and we recognize your experience did not meet that goal.

We understand how challenging it is when travel plans are disrupted. As a gesture of apology, we have issued each eligible customer on this flight a credit for future travel on JetBlue.
You will receive an email within seven (7) days with the amount of your service credit and redemption instructions.

Offline bmw

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: February 03, 2022, 10:46:33 AM »
Delta lost my bag   for no valid reason they were only willing to pay $850 of the $1800  mandated by law even though I had valid receipts !
A simple DOT Complaint and they coughed up the other $950 !!

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: February 03, 2022, 02:36:34 PM »
Delta lost my bag   for no valid reason they were only willing to pay $850 of the $1800  mandated by law even though I had valid receipts !
A simple DOT Complaint and they coughed up the other $950 !!

When you file a DOT complaint, are you able to add additional expenses for time, or punitive damages? If not, why wouldn't the airlines always give less initially and wait for a DOT complaint?

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: February 04, 2022, 11:54:46 AM »
AA flight TLV to JFK. Tried to unsuccessfully fix entertainment system causing delay and 12 hour flight without entertainment. What, if anything, is realistic compensation?

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: February 04, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
Flight: Jetblue flights NAS to JFK on 1/23 (during Jetblue's recent meltdown following a predicted storm, yet again, which all other airlines were able to handle).

Issues: Flight sat on tarmac for an hour until gate was assigned. Upon deplaning, was told that my gate-checked stroller and car seat were sent directly to luggage carrousel, so had to schlep my baby along with other two kids across airport. Luggage did not come out for approximately 2.5 hours. Gate-checked items never came out, and after spending another hour for luggage office, was told to check for those items in a different area of the gate (oversized luggage), which is where I found them.

Compensation: Initially was offered $100 per person. I wrote back politely, and was increased to $150 per person. Wrote back again asking for 15k points instead of the $150. Let's see what happens.

Offline dandu16

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hilton gold, Hyatt Platnum, SPG Gold, Skyteam Silver
« Reply #4751 on: February 06, 2022, 08:43:41 AM »
Booked a first class with a Avios through BA on AA from JFK-LAX. Flight was canceled, they were short staffed. Next flight was 18 hours later.

Who do I ask for compensation? BA or AA.

How much?

Thanks!
"It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves"

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: February 06, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
TLV-JFK on VA, JFK-TLV on AF for Tishrei. 2 Adults, 2 Infants.
Short connections both ways.
VA left one bag in LHR. AF left 6 in CDG, and returned two of them damaged.
VA took three days to return, (in their defence day two was shabbos and we didn't answer the phone when they wanted to drop off!)
AF also took three days to return.

VA approved all reciepts for essentials for a total of $635.91. After they took my bank details, they said it would be take up to 10 bussiness days to appear. I emailed them after 3 weeks after it didn't, and they claimed that thepayment failed and I should give them the details again...tachlis both deposits came in, for a total of $1271.82.
AF approved reciepts for essentials for $1397. Damage compensation was $163. I did not give them original purchase reciepts for the damaged bags, and and received at least 3 times what I paid for them, though not that much above MSRP
VA claims were painless and quick, AF took months. though the AF website was easiyer to find where to file.

I discussed this claim with a recognised Dayan in EY, who approved them, even the ones I was more doubtful about.

Total compensation:$2831.82 cost of tickets ~$1600

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #4753 on: February 06, 2022, 04:23:42 PM »

like a good DDFer

Offline lubaby

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: February 06, 2022, 09:19:47 PM »
like a good DDFer
Except a good DDFer would know that it’s VS, not VA.

Offline simplicity

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
« Reply #4755 on: February 08, 2022, 04:21:52 PM »
Booked a first class with a Avios through BA on AA from JFK-LAX. Flight was canceled, they were short staffed. Next flight was 18 hours later.

Who do I ask for compensation? BA or AA.

How much?

Thanks!
try both.

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: February 10, 2022, 04:11:41 PM »
TLV-JFK on VA, JFK-TLV on AF for Tishrei. 2 Adults, 2 Infants.
Short connections both ways.
VA left one bag in LHR. AF left 6 in CDG, and returned two of them damaged.
VA took three days to return, (in their defence day two was shabbos and we didn't answer the phone when they wanted to drop off!)
AF also took three days to return.

VA approved all reciepts for essentials for a total of $635.91. After they took my bank details, they said it would be take up to 10 bussiness days to appear. I emailed them after 3 weeks after it didn't, and they claimed that thepayment failed and I should give them the details again...tachlis both deposits came in, for a total of $1271.82.
AF approved reciepts for essentials for $1397. Damage compensation was $163. I did not give them original purchase reciepts for the damaged bags, and and received at least 3 times what I paid for them, though not that much above MSRP
VA claims were painless and quick, AF took months. though the AF website was easiyer to find where to file.

I discussed this claim with a recognised Dayan in EY, who approved them, even the ones I was more doubtful about.

The recognized dayan told you that you could keep the second accidental payment? Did he explain his reasoning?

Offline elihak7

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: February 10, 2022, 09:00:23 PM »
The recognized dayan told you that you could keep the second accidental payment? Did he explain his reasoning?
טעות עכו״ם?

Offline joshj

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: February 14, 2022, 10:35:06 AM »
I have a flight from JFK to TLV on delta, the flight time was changed by 8h5min. Delta informed me of this a few months before my flight, am I entitled to compensation under Israeli law?

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #4759 on: February 14, 2022, 11:24:51 AM »
I have a flight from JFK to TLV on delta, the flight time was changed by 8h5min. Delta informed me of this a few months before my flight, am I entitled to compensation under Israeli law?
no only within 14 days