Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099118 times)

Offline UKinNYS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4760 on: February 14, 2022, 01:45:10 PM »
w/o searching this entire thread, anyone know if reasonable to expect any credit for UA flight where aircraft was switched last min from lie flat (non-Polaris) to reg. recliner seats?

Offline dealsrus

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: February 14, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »
Jet blue flight was delayed for 4 hours then 6 and then 8 hours, and then cancelled. They gave $100 per paid traveler. Looking now at their compensation chart, I see $100 is their compensation amount for a cancelled flight, but for a delayed flight more then 6 hours its $200. Should I be eligible for the delayed flight amounts, as it was first delayed?     

Offline Agoldsc1

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: February 14, 2022, 05:31:30 PM »
Jet blue flight was delayed for 4 hours then 6 and then 8 hours, and then cancelled. They gave $100 per paid traveler. Looking now at their compensation chart, I see $100 is their compensation amount for a cancelled flight, but for a delayed flight more then 6 hours its $200. Should I be eligible for the delayed flight amounts, as it was first delayed?   

There are no hard and fast rules for this. But you should definitely email JetBlue taking the position that you are entitled to compensation for both the delay and then the cancellation, and see how they respond.

Offline dealsrus

• View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: February 14, 2022, 05:53:50 PM »
There are no hard and fast rules for this. But you should definitely email JetBlue taking the position that you are entitled to compensation for both the delay and then the cancellation, and see how they respond.
I sent them email already to see if they will reimburse my car rental and hotel stay (used certificate), and just received response with reimbursement, they even added $ for food that I didn't even ask for. Don't want to rock the boat, unless I am totally entitled.

Offline alexk.

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: February 14, 2022, 06:57:43 PM »
Similar situation...

Had a 3 hour, then 4 hour, 6 hour, 8 hour, 18 hour, 20 hour delay. Then canceled ( was canceled in the 16th hour). Had 6 tickets. Was total disaster. Flight was delayed after 1 am to 12:30 pm ( originally was 6 pm). Until we got luggage back, booked hotel etc... didn't get to bed until 4 am.

I had used Jetblue points and CSR for taxes.

I ended up flying Southwest and paid $235 a ticket. $1400 + out of pocket.

Paid for 2 rooms in hotel near airport: $300 +

Plus food etc...

Got email from Jetblue with $500.00 travel bank per passenger. $3000.00 value. Good for one year.

Called them to try to get more out of them ( I am Mosaic as well), they first told me that they don't compensate for hotel and stuff if it was weather related. That was total BS as every other airline was flying and they didn't fly because of staffing issues. The plane was there for several hours already. Pilots and crew arrived from JFK near midnight and one of the pilots apparently refused to fly ( could be hours were up). 

I asked for an email detailing the reason for cancelation - that they were really gonna say it was weather . Got the email next day and it said the flight was canceled "due to maintenance"!

Called to try to get them to compensate since it wasn't weather related, and wouldn't budge.

Meanwhile I put in a claim today for insurance with CSR. Should I bother continuing with Jetblue?

Thanks   

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: March 01, 2022, 12:39:17 PM »
United ticket, flight operated by Austrian LHR-VIE-TLV in J.
First leg got delayed, causing the passenger to miss his connection, despite being told at the departure gate that he’d be transferred to the TLV flight. Ended up going VIE-ZRH-TLV, arriving 10+ hours later than originally supposed to.
What can I expect? I’m assuming I’m supposed to contact Austrian, not United. Correct?

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: March 01, 2022, 03:54:09 PM »
This is a real Chutzpah. I was livid when I read AA's email. They claimed that my original flight wasn't cancelled. They claimed that it was delayed. That is hillarious because they rebooked me and put me up in a hotel for the night. Another point is that they are saying: "Our records indicate flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed 134 minutes from departure; with arrival into New York-JFK, 327 minutes from schedule. While we regret the impact this delay had on your travel plans from Miami to Tel Aviv; no compensation under the Air Passenger Rights Regulations is warranted."
If they flight was delayed as they claim, then I would have landed in JFK after my flight from JFK to TLV would have departed and I would missed my connection.

Any thoughts on what to do next?
As I did not receive a response, I emailed the following on February 13:

Greetings;

I am writing to you regarding E-Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX/Record Locator: XXXXXX

As per my original itinerary, I was scheduled to fly from on 11/16/2021 from Miami to Tel Aviv via New York-JFK. My flight departure to New York on AA 1922, was delayed to 01:08 AM because of a mechanical problem. Therefore my connection to AA 146 from New York-JFK to Tel Aviv was missed. I was therefore rebooked onto AA 52, 24 hours later,.

Israel Air Service Law stipulates, any passenger experiencing a delay greater than 8 hours due to mechanical failure is entitled to 3,100 NIS compensation by the airline for  a trip 4,500 km or greater.

Because my trip from Miami to Tel Aviv on 11/16 was delayed more then 8 hours due to airline mechanical failure, I am legally entitled to compensation. I am therefore requesting compensation of 3,100 NIS.

I await your response.

Thank You
Ad120

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: March 01, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »
As I did not receive a response, I emailed the following on February 13:

Greetings;

I am writing to you regarding E-Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXX/Record Locator: XXXXXX

As per my original itinerary, I was scheduled to fly from on 11/16/2021 from Miami to Tel Aviv via New York-JFK. My flight departure to New York on AA 1922, was delayed to 01:08 AM because of a mechanical problem. Therefore my connection to AA 146 from New York-JFK to Tel Aviv was missed. I was therefore rebooked onto AA 52, 24 hours later,.

Israel Air Service Law stipulates, any passenger experiencing a delay greater than 8 hours due to mechanical failure is entitled to 3,100 NIS compensation by the airline for  a trip 4,500 km or greater.

Because my trip from Miami to Tel Aviv on 11/16 was delayed more then 8 hours due to airline mechanical failure, I am legally entitled to compensation. I am therefore requesting compensation of 3,100 NIS.

I await your response.

Thank You
Ad120
Today I received this response:
Hello Ad120:   

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I appreciate it when customers take the time to share their concerns.
On behalf of American Airlines, thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I appreciate the opportunity to address your claim for compensation based on European Regulation 261/2004.
First and foremost we regret that your Flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and impact on your travel plans this irregularity caused. It is never our intent to create difficulties for you, or any of our passengers, and appreciate that this disruption was a frustrating experience.
As you have correctly identified, European Union Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 of the European Parliament and Council has established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of cancellations or long delays of flights. Under this regulation, in the event of a flight cancellation or delay, passengers are entitled to established levels of compensation. However, this regulation does not apply when a flight is cancelled or delayed for less than 3-hours, flight is departing from the United States or a flight is cancelled or delayed due to weather or Air Traffic Control issues. Since flight AA1922 was delayed departing from the United States, American Airlines is not required to provide the compensation you have referred to.
Your continued business means a great deal to us, and I'd like to ask for another chance to rebuild your confidence. With that in mind, I've arranged to send you a Trip Credit to use toward the purchase of a ticket to travel with us. The Trip Credit will arrive in a separate email and will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue, unless otherwise stated and can be used to purchase travel on American or American Eagle for yourself or a friend or relative, if you prefer.
Ad120, again, we apologize for the travel difficulties encountered. We hope you will give us the opportunity to create a more positive travel experience in the future. We appreciate your business!

Sincerely,   
Tahe Cali   
Customer Relations   
American Airlines   

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: March 01, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »
Today I received this response:
Hello Ad120:   

Thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I appreciate it when customers take the time to share their concerns.
On behalf of American Airlines, thank you for contacting Customer Relations. I appreciate the opportunity to address your claim for compensation based on European Regulation 261/2004.
First and foremost we regret that your Flight AA1922 from Miami on November 16, 2021 was delayed. Please accept our apology for the inconvenience and impact on your travel plans this irregularity caused. It is never our intent to create difficulties for you, or any of our passengers, and appreciate that this disruption was a frustrating experience.
As you have correctly identified, European Union Regulation (EC) No. 261/2004 of the European Parliament and Council has established common rules on compensation and assistance to passengers in the event of cancellations or long delays of flights. Under this regulation, in the event of a flight cancellation or delay, passengers are entitled to established levels of compensation. However, this regulation does not apply when a flight is cancelled or delayed for less than 3-hours, flight is departing from the United States or a flight is cancelled or delayed due to weather or Air Traffic Control issues. Since flight AA1922 was delayed departing from the United States, American Airlines is not required to provide the compensation you have referred to.
Your continued business means a great deal to us, and I'd like to ask for another chance to rebuild your confidence. With that in mind, I've arranged to send you a Trip Credit to use toward the purchase of a ticket to travel with us. The Trip Credit will arrive in a separate email and will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue, unless otherwise stated and can be used to purchase travel on American or American Eagle for yourself or a friend or relative, if you prefer.
Ad120, again, we apologize for the travel difficulties encountered. We hope you will give us the opportunity to create a more positive travel experience in the future. We appreciate your business!

Sincerely,   
Tahe Cali   
Customer Relations   
American Airlines
This is so sad. AA is so incompetent. I just wrote back:

Hello,

In response to your email, Israel is not an EU member state. As such, Israel isn’t governed by European Regulation 261/2004 that you quoted. Rather Israel has it’s own aviation laws. Under Israel Air Service Law, any passenger traveling to Israel experiencing an arrival delay of  8 hours or more is entitled to receive 3,130 NIS CASH when traveling a distance of 4,500 kilometers or greater regardless of where in the world the delay occurred. This law applies in cases of mechanical delay.

Because my trip arrival in Israel was delayed for more than 8 hours because of mechanical delay, American Airlines is required to compensate me 3,130 NIS CASH as per Israel Air Services Law.

Please note that I am REFUSING the $200 airline credit provided and I am further pursuing rightful compensation of 3,130 NIS CASH as required by Israel Air Service Law.

Please be advised that this is my fourth attempt to collect legal compensation. Further denial of legal compensation by American Airlines will be met with legal action.

I can be reached at xxxxx@xxxxx.com or XXX-XXX-XXXX.

Thank you for your attention to the matter,
Ad120

Offline yeshivabucher

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Travel Agent, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Uber VIP, SPG Gold
« Reply #4769 on: March 01, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »
where should i email delta regarding isreali compensation law

Offline milzz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4770 on: March 01, 2022, 05:40:01 PM »
I booked  a ticket for my family of 8 from Cancun to detroit direct on April 24th. Frontier canceled that light and routed us thru Denver with an 18 hour layover there! Is there anything I can do? The other airlines this late in the game are about $700 a ticket. Spirit has a non stop any chance they would put me on that? What's my best plan of action here (if any) thanks

Offline ad120

• View Profile
« Reply #4771 on: March 01, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »
I booked  a ticket for my family of 8 from Cancun to detroit direct on April 24th. Frontier canceled that light and routed us thru Denver with an 18 hour layover there! Is there anything I can do? The other airlines this late in the game are about $700 a ticket. Spirit has a non stop any chance they would put me on that? What's my best plan of action here (if any) thanks
cancel and rebook with another airline.
Frontier won't pay for a different carrier.

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #4772 on: March 01, 2022, 10:56:34 PM »
United ticket, flight operated by Austrian LHR-VIE-TLV in J.
First leg got delayed, causing the passenger to miss his connection, despite being told at the departure gate that he’d be transferred to the TLV flight. Ended up going VIE-ZRH-TLV, arriving 10+ hours later than originally supposed to.
What can I expect? I’m assuming I’m supposed to contact Austrian, not United. Correct?
Anyone know how I contact Austrian regarding this?

Offline drosenberg88429

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4773 on: March 02, 2022, 12:09:49 AM »
VS flight JFK-LHR-TLV. JFK-LHR was delayed 3 hours, which resulted in missing the connection to Israel. Airline recooked on flight 12 hours later. Is this eligible for full Israeli ₪3130 compensation, being as passenger is arriving at destination more than 8 hours late, or doesn't work like that for missed connections? Thanks!

ETA: I see that person above asked same question (with added component of multiple airlines interlining).

Offline 159dallas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: IHG Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, Enterprise EE
« Reply #4774 on: March 07, 2022, 06:22:04 PM »
Airline: American Airlines
Flight: GSO-DFW
Class: Economy
Incident: Broken tray table was taped shut. They would not reseat me. (I am not sure why as there were multiple seats open).
Compensation: 7500 AA Miles

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #4775 on: March 11, 2022, 03:32:41 PM »
TAP agreed to pay me in accordance with EU compensation, however they are driving me nuts with having me provide a letter from my bank for them to make the international wire transfer (probably in EUR). Has anyone every had their bank produce such a letter?

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #4776 on: March 11, 2022, 03:55:31 PM »
TAP agreed to pay me in accordance with EU compensation, however they are driving me nuts with having me provide a letter from my bank for them to make the international wire transfer (probably in EUR). Has anyone every had their bank produce such a letter?
A direct deposit from should be enough. You can get it on your bank’s website

Offline nucheiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4777 on: March 29, 2022, 08:07:44 PM »
8 Pax, parents and 6 kids stuck in DTW from 1pm til 11pm, delayed every 2 hours (approximately). As the delays were incremental they were trapped by the gate. One pax has a medical condition as well.

Offered $200 voucher per pax.

Should she try for more?

Offline yochai

• View Profile
« Reply #4778 on: March 29, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »
8 Pax, parents and 6 kids stuck in DTW from 1pm til 11pm, delayed every 2 hours (approximately). As the delays were incremental they were trapped by the gate. One pax has a medical condition as well.

Offered $200 voucher per pax.

Should she try for more?
Airline?

Online shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4779 on: April 07, 2022, 06:11:25 PM »
AA TLV-JFK 12.5k miles
we waited on jetbridge for over 30 minutes, couldn't get on or off. There was some last minute dispute between the airline and the FAs, I only know because I asked.

nice because it was a saver biz at ~110k rt