Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098803 times)

Offline confu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4820 on: May 04, 2022, 02:42:27 PM »
My brother flew domestically with his wife and 1 yr old on JetBlue. Booked 3 tickets, however on return flight they voided his baby's ticket due to the flight being overbooked! I've never heard of that before and don't know how they can do such a thing. They were almost unable to board since their baby now had no boarding pass....
Anyone encountered this before? What kind of compensation can they request -(they were obviously refunded for baby's ticket) and how do they go about doing so?
I had a friend with this situation this week with Austrian, they would not check his baby in bec. the plane was overbooked with infants. He missed the flight, they rebooked him for the next day with LH (the flight with all the chasidim....)
Agent told him with straight face that his compensation is not to be charged a rebooking fee  :P
what is he entitled to?

Offline yochai

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4821 on: May 04, 2022, 06:48:48 PM »
I had a friend with this situation this week with Austrian, they would not check his baby in bec. the plane was overbooked with infants. He missed the flight, they rebooked him for the next day with LH (the flight with all the chasidim....)
Agent told him with straight face that his compensation is not to be charged a rebooking fee  :P
what is he entitled to?
Totally different case.
The first one is when the infant actually traveled but without a seat. In your friend’s case they had a limit on the amount of lap infants they can take. In the latter they can probably claim it’s a “safety issue”.
I would request compensation regardless and see what they say.

Offline confu

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4822 on: May 05, 2022, 08:04:06 AM »
Totally different case.
The first one is when the infant actually traveled but without a seat. In your friend’s case they had a limit on the amount of lap infants they can take. In the latter they can probably claim it’s a “safety issue”.
I would request compensation regardless and see what they say.
I'm sure it's a "safety" issue, but they denied boarding (involuntarily) to a ticketed passenger. if it's not safe, don't issue the ticket....

Offline ltttc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4823 on: May 05, 2022, 01:40:55 PM »
they rebooked him for the next day with LH (the flight with all the chasidim....)

what is he entitled to?
If that was the flight in which they denied boarding to 200 Orthodox jews and let e/o else on, I hope they hire a lawyer to fight the case regarding anti-Semitism, racial profiling...

Offline atwnsw

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4824 on: May 07, 2022, 02:14:17 PM »
Need help where to escalate my claim on AA flight.

My wife booked a Business Class 110k R/T ticket TPA-DFW-TUS.  Return flight scheduled on 2/3 was disaster.
First, 24 Hour Weather Delay.  Then flight on 2/4 re-routed from TUS-ORD.  The connecting flight was cancelled due to pilot/staffing shortage after many hours at ORD airport.  Late that evening with no luggage, airline gave her voucher for hotel.  The next day on 2/5 after many hours delay she flew in coach from ORD-DFW.  The flight from DFW-TPA was encountering delays and overbooked so I bought her a coach ticket on this leg for 20k to catch a guaranteed flight vs waiting in line for hours.

In short, she spent 55k (1/2 of 110k original ticket) and an additional 20k from DFW-TPA to get home in coach from TUS 2 days later. 
What should I ask for?  55K?  75k?  Have written AA airlines multiple times without success.  Who else should I contact?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 05:14:30 PM by atwnsw »

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #4825 on: May 23, 2022, 03:07:18 PM »
SwissAir delivered luggage 3 days late.
They are willing to pay $100 total (not per-day) towards necessities that were purchased, as per their policy.
Is that all we can expect?
What if someone didn't purchase any necessities; they wouldn't get any compensation for the inconvenience etc.?
Thanks.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4826 on: May 23, 2022, 03:17:48 PM »
SwissAir delivered luggage 3 days late.
They are willing to pay $100 total (not per-day) towards necessities that were purchased, as per their policy.
Is that all we can expect?
What if someone didn't purchase any necessities; they wouldn't get any compensation for the inconvenience etc.?
Thanks.
I don’t know if airlines that give compensation without receipts for purchase.
If you did purchase items, most airlines will give you a few hundred $ to cover expenses. Some credit cards will also reimburse you.

Offline Danlover111

• View Profile
« Reply #4827 on: May 23, 2022, 03:19:37 PM »
I don’t know if airlines that give compensation without receipts for purchase.
If you did purchase items, most airlines will give you a few hundred $ to cover expenses. Some credit cards will also reimburse you.
For delayed bags I think only some visa cards will.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #4828 on: May 23, 2022, 03:25:54 PM »
I don’t know of airlines that give compensation without receipts for purchase.
Swiss Air claims they only pay $100 total regardless of how many days late the luggage arrived.
That doesn't seem fair to me, but either way - shouldn't there be some courtesy compensation for the inconvenience & aggravation?

Offline Samy1716

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4829 on: May 24, 2022, 01:30:52 PM »
I had an interesting story about two years ago. I flew UA CUN-EWR with my wife and baby, upon arrival my wife was pulled aside at CBP, she was led into a side room and had to wait for about 15 min not knowing what was happening, she was not allowed to use her cell phone or go anywhere, all the while I had to hold our crying baby not knowing either what is going on..... after waiting 15 min which felt like forever, a CBP agent asked my wife a bunch of questions and told her that she can go, my wife asked him why she was pulled aside, the agent told my wife that her name wasn't on the flight manifest which triggered the issue, he added that the airline will get a fine for leaving out a passenger's name. 
I reached out to UA for compensation via email and after a couple of emails and a phone call I got the following result....

Hi *****,

It was my pleasure speaking with you this afternoon and I appreciate the time you took to do so.

I am so sorry to hear about what happened during your recent travel with us.  I can only imagine how disturbing the whole situation was for you and ***** and little Blima.  That is not the type of travel we want our customers to have.  I can assure you, however, ***** name was on our flight manifest.  We show her as checking in for the flight, receiving her boarding pass and boarding the aircraft. When all of those pieces are in place, we are confident that she is added to the manifest.  As I shared with you, we believe it was routine secondary screening which CBP has the right and authority to do. Because I want to make this right for you, I am going to add 50,000 good-will bonus miles into your MileagePlus account since ***** doesn't have an account. Miles never expire and we hope that you are able to use them towards taking a beautiful trip together.

Stay safe and stay well and we hope to see you on board again soon.

Regards,

Cheryll
Customer Care
Case ID: *************
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 01:35:03 PM by Samy1716 »

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #4830 on: May 24, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
My flight from tel aviv to london on lufthansa was delayed one hour and i missed a connecting flight to Manchester. The airline rebooked a connecting flight for 12 hours later but i booked a train ticket for $250 in order to make it to my destination on time. What compensation can i get?
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline ltttc

• View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: May 24, 2022, 04:46:38 PM »
My flight from tel aviv to london on lufthansa was delayed one hour and i missed a connecting flight to Manchester. The airline rebooked a connecting flight for 12 hours later but i booked a train ticket for $250 in order to make it to my destination on time. What compensation can i get?
If you wait a month and are lucky enough, you might get an apology email 😜

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: May 25, 2022, 12:23:00 AM »
Been waiting for response from AA. Get email about every 10 days that they’re still working on it. Will I ever get actual response?

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: May 25, 2022, 12:35:08 AM »
Waiting for a response form DL for over 7 weeks.
Flight got delayed, and ultimately cancelled.
Had to rent a car, do a 3 hour drive, and catch a flight form dif airport.

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #4834 on: May 25, 2022, 06:47:17 AM »
Been waiting for response from AA. Get email about every 10 days that they’re still working on it. Will I ever get actual response?
same here
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: May 25, 2022, 04:07:43 PM »
Horror story this Erev Pesach on AA, trying to see what I can expect:

Background:
flight from NYC-LAX for family of 9 (2 adults, 6 ticketed children under 10yo, 1 lap). initially scheduled for 3 days before YT, was rescheduled for 6am Erev Pesach.
(spent the 2 days in between calling back, looking -unsuccessfully- for anything sooner, so I knew how booked up they were).
(mileage tix FWIW)

Friday EP morning we show up at LGA 3 hours early, hoping that, at check-in, we'd be assigned seats, hopefully not spread too far apart. At check-in, the boarding passes said to see gate agent.
Arrive at gate over an hour before the flight, no one there. first an AA employee keeps stepping up to ask for people to check in their carryons to final destination, as it's a full flight. refusing to take any other questions.
agent finally shows up about 15-20 minutes before boarding, to start with all boarding/checkin issues. she says we still don't have seat assignments.
(evidently the system auto-grouped us in exit row. but with 6/8 under age 16 they needed to relocate us. needed to find other passengers one-by-one to switch us with...)
throughout most of boarding time they're "still working on it" - we still don't have seat assignment.

here's the 'crime':
5 min before departure, everyone else already on board, they finally usher us onto the jetway. Halfway down they tell us "oops, we only have 7 seats for your party of 8. need to bump to a later flight". we had about 60 seconds before door closes to decide wether to bump us all, or to put 7/8 on this flight.
DW realized that there's no way they'd have 8 seats on a single flight anytime before YT, and offered to take all 7 on the flight herself, and I'd fly next.

So Mom is stuck flying solo with 7 little kids.
adding insult to injury, on that 1st leg, the seats were scattered across the plane, so the 3yo, 5yo, etc.. were sitting on their own.

right after they departed the agent rebooked me (as "involuntary denied") on a flight 1 hr later, and issued me a $500 credit.

who in their right mind chooses a group of 8 tix to bump over a shortage of 1 seat? who chooses that breaking up a family of little kids is the right way to handle an overbooking? WTH?!

practically speaking, is there anything more that I can push this for? if yes, what's the best way to go about it?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: May 25, 2022, 05:37:19 PM »
Just for IDB you get $1,300 cash legally, iirc.

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: May 25, 2022, 05:57:58 PM »
Just for IDB you get $1,300 cash legally, iirc.
even if you were delivered to your destination within X hours of original schedule?

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: May 25, 2022, 06:12:27 PM »
even if you were delivered to your destination within X hours of original schedule?
Seems like 1-2 hours it's around $770. But once you were on the plane you should have not been allowed to be taken off involuntarily. 

https://viewfromthewing.com/new-dot-rule-raises-involuntary-denied-boarding-and-mishandled-bag-compensation/

Online gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: May 25, 2022, 06:15:29 PM »
Seems like 1-2 hours it's around $770. But once you were on the plane you should have not been allowed to be taken off involuntarily. 

https://viewfromthewing.com/new-dot-rule-raises-involuntary-denied-boarding-and-mishandled-bag-compensation/
never made it on, this conversation was on the jetway

ETA:
this DOT describes it differently:
Can airlines involuntarily bump me after I have boarded the flight?

Generally, no.  If you have met the following conditions, airlines are not allowed to deny you permission to board, or remove you from the flight if you have already boarded the flight:
You have checked-in for your flight before the check-in deadline set by the airlines; and
A gate agent has accepted your paper boarding pass or electronically scanned your boarding pass and let you know that you may proceed to board.

I guess I'm also asking if the egregiousness of their choice expands this any
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 06:21:29 PM by gozalim »