Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098673 times)

Offline JACKBLUE

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline JACKBLUE

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4881 on: June 20, 2022, 11:41:21 PM »
not conclusive and good luck getting money from elal https://www.elal.com/en/About-ELAL/Legal/Pages/Aviation-Services-Law.aspx
My understanding is that only if the flight is delayed 8+ hour I’m entitled for compensation. CMIIW.

Offline E-MAN

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4882 on: June 21, 2022, 04:42:18 PM »
Wow! 2 months?!
I'll take your word for it but that sounds unnecessarily long to me.
I’m 4 days away from 2 months on my email for 14 hour delay

Offline Dvdmoney1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4883 on: June 22, 2022, 01:15:50 AM »
Dear Dans Deals Forum

I was supposed to be flying from Buffalo (BUF) to Newark (EWR) Tonight 6/22/2022 on United Airlines Flight # 3438. However, it just got canceled.

I purchased it with the Sapphire Preferred card (~$220) - The only reason why it got canceled was " Your flight is canceled because of current or anticipated disruptions related to airspace and/or ground congestion. Your safety is our priority and we are sorry for your the inconvenience".

I was wondering if anyone can help. What can I get reimbursed on?

I need a new hotel room, clothes, kosher food ect - Will all this be reimbursed?

Thanks in advance

Offline shmooz

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4884 on: June 22, 2022, 01:22:38 AM »
Dear Dans Deals Forum

I was supposed to be flying from Buffalo (BUF) to Newark (EWR) Tonight 6/22/2022 on United Airlines Flight # 3438. However, it just got canceled.

I need a new hotel room, clothes, kosher food ect - Will all this be reimbursed?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like united won't give you anything because they will blame it on others. But the SP should give you up to $500. Here are the terms
https://cardbenefits.chase.com/chase-sapphire-preferred/trip-delay-reimbursement

Assuming it's your card.

Offline Dvdmoney1

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4885 on: June 22, 2022, 01:46:45 AM »
Sounds like united won't give you anything because they will blame it on others. But the SP should give you up to $500. Here are the terms
https://cardbenefits.chase.com/chase-sapphire-preferred/trip-delay-reimbursement

Assuming it's your card.

I just called up and United said the flight was Cancelled due to "Regular operations at the airport" when asked to elaborate he stated it was "Due to flat tire and change of planes".

Does this help my case?

United now rebooked me for another flight the following day, Thursday night.

Do I get any additional benefits/reimbursements?

Offline sillypainter

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4886 on: June 22, 2022, 02:30:25 AM »
I just called up and United said the flight was Cancelled due to "Regular operations at the airport" when asked to elaborate he stated it was "Due to flat tire and change of planes".

Does this help my case?

United now rebooked me for another flight the following day, Thursday night.

Do I get any additional benefits/reimbursements?

It's called IROP-Iregular operations.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #4887 on: June 22, 2022, 09:00:25 AM »
I’m 4 days away from 2 months on my email for 14 hour delay
Keep us posted.

Offline Therebbesbocher

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4888 on: June 27, 2022, 11:27:13 PM »
Flight on AC TLV-YUL-LGA
YUL-LGA was canceled due to "an unforeseen maintenance issue" and we were put on a flight the next morning landing more than 12hrs late.

Filled out the form and got a response that "In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by an event outside of our control."
  • is that true? Is it not their fault?
  • am I covered by Canadian or Israeli mandatory compensation laws?
  • is a lap child entitled to their own compensation?
TIA

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #4889 on: June 27, 2022, 11:35:48 PM »
Flight on AC TLV-YUL-LGA
YUL-LGA was canceled due to "an unforeseen maintenance issue" and we were put on a flight the next morning landing more than 12hrs late.

Filled out the form and got a response that "In this instance, the compensation you are requesting does not apply because the delay was caused by an event outside of our control."
  • is that true? Is it not their fault?
  • am I covered by Canadian or Israeli mandatory compensation laws?
  • is a lap child entitled to their own compensation?
TIA

They may be obligated, but you will probably need a lawyer who works on commission.

Offline Chuck2

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United, Hertz, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC
« Reply #4890 on: June 28, 2022, 01:46:56 PM »
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=129743.0This probably shoul have been posted here but given the amount I opened a new thread.
:-)

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: July 03, 2022, 09:43:59 AM »
Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question so if not please redirect me...
My son flew to Israel last Tuesday on Virgin Atlantic with a stopover in London. His luggage did not make it to Israel. At the airport he filled out the missing luggage form, and I have been tracking it on world tracer. It now says "located, pending confirmation". Does anyone know what that means?
Virgin Atlantic is worthless, there does not seem to be a way to reach a human being. You can only text, which brings an automatic reply: "due to significant baggage system failures at Heathrow, we are unable to respond to inbound contact at this time. We have all our available resources focused on reuniting our customers with their baggage." Not joking, that is actually what the message says.
Anyone have any advice as to what I can do, and also how to get compensated for the clothing etc he has had to purchase?
Thanks!!

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: July 03, 2022, 10:05:32 AM »
Not sure if I'm in the right place for this question so if not please redirect me...
My son flew to Israel last Tuesday on Virgin Atlantic with a stopover in London. His luggage did not make it to Israel. At the airport he filled out the missing luggage form, and I have been tracking it on world tracer. It now says "located, pending confirmation". Does anyone know what that means?
Virgin Atlantic is worthless, there does not seem to be a way to reach a human being. You can only text, which brings an automatic reply: "due to significant baggage system failures at Heathrow, we are unable to respond to inbound contact at this time. We have all our available resources focused on reuniting our customers with their baggage." Not joking, that is actually what the message says.
Anyone have any advice as to what I can do, and also how to get compensated for the clothing etc he has had to purchase?
Thanks!!
In my experience, Virgin paid up to $1500 for a 3 day delay. He should just buy whatever he needs and hopefully they’ll pay him back. This is even before using your credit card coverage, if you have any.

Online yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: July 03, 2022, 10:12:53 AM »
Thanks!!
In my experience, Virgin paid up to $1500 for a 3 day delay. He should just buy whatever he needs and hopefully they’ll pay him back. This is even before using your credit card coverage, if you have any.

+1
@cvh  Virgin is quite good about compensation. Buy what you need (plus  ;)) save all receipts. see this page https://help.virginatlantic.com/in/en/baggage/claim-for-essentials.html

claim must be filed within 21 days of receiving your bag.
Many airlines state that "they regard up to $50 or $70 to be average". Dont worry about that, Virgin should pay, as long as it's reasonable. Full set of toiletries, clothing.... (I've heard of someone who was compensated by virgin for the essential purchase of a streimel!)

Heathrow DID have a collapse of its baggage system last week. I would guess that it will take quite a while for all the baggage to be sent to their final destination. Have your son buy whatever he needs...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 10:17:27 AM by yfr bachur »

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: July 03, 2022, 12:25:01 PM »
Thanks.
Anyone have any idea how to get meaningful updates on the luggage? What does "located, pending confirmation" mean? What type of confirmation are they talking about?

Offline shmooz

• View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: July 03, 2022, 12:37:41 PM »
Try tweeting
Their response sounds good in that they know where it is, and it's waiting for someone to do something about it.
Most luggage is eventually reunited.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: July 03, 2022, 12:49:59 PM »
+1
@cvh  Virgin is quite good about compensation. Buy what you need (plus  ;)) save all receipts. see this page https://help.virginatlantic.com/in/en/baggage/claim-for-essentials.html

claim must be filed within 21 days of receiving your bag.
Many airlines state that "they regard up to $50 or $70 to be average". Dont worry about that, Virgin should pay, as long as it's reasonable. Full set of toiletries, clothing.... (I've heard of someone who was compensated by virgin for the essential purchase of a streimel!)
No airline will tell you upfront how much you can spend, but I purchased $1600 worth for 4 bags and Virgin actually told me the limit was $1500 PP, till I pointed out it was per person and I had 4….

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: July 03, 2022, 02:37:14 PM »
I have been tracking it on world tracer. It now says "located, pending confirmation". Does anyone know what that means?
We just had that too with Swiss Air.
That message didn't change until they just knocked on the door with the suitcase 3 days later.

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: July 03, 2022, 02:41:10 PM »
No airline will tell you upfront how much you can spend
Anyone know what El Al's policy is?
And are people successful getting anything from them?

Offline njmacman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile