Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098897 times)

Offline thejays

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4900 on: July 04, 2022, 01:44:53 PM »
Our two daughters had a return flight from Melbourne to JFK with a 3 hour stopover in LAX.
Upon their arrival in LAX at 7pm, they were informed that their connecting flight was cancelled. They sent them to a hotel overnight and then put them on the following flights:
LAX to ORD ,1 hour stopover, and then ORD to EWR.
How should we proceed with requesting reimbursement? And what can we expect for these delays - flight cancellation, rebooked only for the next day, with an additional stopover, and a change in destination airport
Thank you!

American Airlines
(Qantas via AA from Melbourne to LAX, and then AA for the domestic)

BUMP. Any input, please??

Offline ae123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: July 04, 2022, 02:32:35 PM »
Many airlines state that "they regard up to $50 or $70 to be average".
FYI, Swiss Air only pays $100 total, regardless of how many days the luggage was delayed.

Offline lcm

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: July 05, 2022, 03:21:54 AM »
No drink service on aa short haul flight due to weather.
Via online complaint form, 5000 miles

Offline yfr bachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: July 05, 2022, 12:38:42 PM »
Anyone know what El Al's policy is?
And are people successful getting anything from them?

A few years ago their idea of essentials was giving you a bag of travel toiletries and one size fits all underwear

Offline ae123

• View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: July 05, 2022, 03:02:57 PM »
A few years ago their idea of essentials was giving you a bag of travel toiletries and one size fits all underwear
Has anything changed since?

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: July 06, 2022, 09:55:40 AM »
+1
@cvh  Virgin is quite good about compensation. Buy what you need (plus  ;)) save all receipts. see this page https://help.virginatlantic.com/in/en/baggage/claim-for-essentials.html

claim must be filed within 21 days of receiving your bag.
Many airlines state that "they regard up to $50 or $70 to be average". Dont worry about that, Virgin should pay, as long as it's reasonable. Full set of toiletries, clothing.... (I've heard of someone who was compensated by virgin for the essential purchase of a streimel!)

Heathrow DID have a collapse of its baggage system last week. I would guess that it will take quite a while for all the baggage to be sent to their final destination. Have your son buy whatever he needs...

Still no luggage...only thing that has happened is, on the world tracer website the status has changed from "located, pending confirmation" to "tracing, check back for more details".
Is is absolutely outrageous that there is no way to reach anyone at the airline. They do not respond to text, whatapp, email, twitter. Zero. They liteally could care less!

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: July 19, 2022, 03:32:43 PM »
Horror story this Erev Pesach on AA, trying to see what I can expect:

Background:
flight from NYC-LAX for family of 9 (2 adults, 6 ticketed children under 10yo, 1 lap). initially scheduled for 3 days before YT, was rescheduled for 6am Erev Pesach.
(spent the 2 days in between calling back, looking -unsuccessfully- for anything sooner, so I knew how booked up they were).
(mileage tix FWIW)

Friday EP morning we show up at LGA 3 hours early, hoping that, at check-in, we'd be assigned seats, hopefully not spread too far apart. At check-in, the boarding passes said to see gate agent.
Arrive at gate over an hour before the flight, no one there. first an AA employee keeps stepping up to ask for people to check in their carryons to final destination, as it's a full flight. refusing to take any other questions.
agent finally shows up about 15-20 minutes before boarding, to start with all boarding/checkin issues. she says we still don't have seat assignments.
(evidently the system auto-grouped us in exit row. but with 6/8 under age 16 they needed to relocate us. needed to find other passengers one-by-one to switch us with...)
throughout most of boarding time they're "still working on it" - we still don't have seat assignment.

here's the 'crime':
5 min before departure, everyone else already on board, they finally usher us onto the jetway. Halfway down they tell us "oops, we only have 7 seats for your party of 8. need to bump to a later flight". we had about 60 seconds before door closes to decide wether to bump us all, or to put 7/8 on this flight.
DW realized that there's no way they'd have 8 seats on a single flight anytime before YT, and offered to take all 7 on the flight herself, and I'd fly next.

So Mom is stuck flying solo with 7 little kids.
adding insult to injury, on that 1st leg, the seats were scattered across the plane, so the 3yo, 5yo, etc.. were sitting on their own.

right after they departed the agent rebooked me (as "involuntary denied") on a flight 1 hr later, and issued me a $500 credit.

who in their right mind chooses a group of 8 tix to bump over a shortage of 1 seat? who chooses that breaking up a family of little kids is the right way to handle an overbooking? WTH?!

practically speaking, is there anything more that I can push this for? if yes, what's the best way to go about it?
seems like I'm a prime candidate for this DOT push
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/news/airline-news/airline-refusing-provide-free-advance-seating-next-kids-sure-file-dot-complaint/

question is, should I ask airline for comp first, before going to DOT, and only then notify DOT of the need to prevent these in the future?

Offline Divora M

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: July 19, 2022, 04:26:48 PM »
Flying Southwest from MDW-BWI-FLL with 5 kids. Flight said change planes in BWI, since our first flight was delayed we needed to rush off the plane to catch the next flight. After getting 5 kids, 7 carryons, 7 personal bags and car seat off the plane we were told actually it’s the same plane going to FLL. Gate agent told me he has no idea why we deplaned. $150 x 6 for compensation.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: July 19, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »
I’m 4 days away from 2 months on my email for 14 hour delay
3 months and still no answer

Offline cvh

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: July 20, 2022, 05:05:42 PM »
Still no luggage... the only thing that has happened is, on the world tracer website the status has changed from "located, pending confirmation" to "tracing, check back for more details".
It is absolutely outrageous that there is no way to reach anyone at the airline. They do not respond to text, whatapp, email, twitter. Zero. They literally could care less!

True ending: on a whim, he went into Ben Gurion (had a security guard allow him into baggage claim). After about ten minutes of walking around, he saw...his luggage in a corner of the room. He picked it up and walked out, and no one said one word to him. Still no clue how it got to Israel, or how it was ever going to be returned. Virgin still thinks it's lost. I guess its not so bad because clearly no one was looking for it or cared at all.

Offline leaf

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: July 20, 2022, 07:21:31 PM »
Flight departure "delayed" over 12 hours on domestic American Airlines. The aircraft was there for the 8:29PM departure, but the pilots were delayed on an incoming flight. Kept us in airport until after midnight when they declared that the pilots would time out and therefore would "delay" the flight until the next morning at 8:30am. They did put us up in a hotel (I believed they classified it as CREW ISSUE).
We arrived next day nearly 12 hours late (my guess is that they intentionally hustled to get us there 11 hours and 53 minutes late to avoid hitting 12 hours on arrival).
Question: What compensation rights do I have (family with kids), and, beyond rights, what is a request with a reasonable chance of success?

Offline chff

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #4911 on: July 20, 2022, 07:37:04 PM »
Flight departure "delayed" over 12 hours on domestic American Airlines. The aircraft was there for the 8:29PM departure, but the pilots were delayed on an incoming flight. Kept us in airport until after midnight when they declared that the pilots would time out and therefore would "delay" the flight until the next morning at 8:30am. They did put us up in a hotel (I believed they classified it as CREW ISSUE).
We arrived next day nearly 12 hours late (my guess is that they intentionally hustled to get us there 11 hours and 53 minutes late to avoid hitting 12 hours on arrival).
Question: What compensation rights do I have (family with kids), and, beyond rights, what is a request with a reasonable chance of success?
Zero rights

Offline nirc

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4912 on: July 20, 2022, 08:20:21 PM »
Flying Southwest from MDW-BWI-FLL with 5 kids. Flight said change planes in BWI, since our first flight was delayed we needed to rush off the plane to catch the next flight. After getting 5 kids, 7 carryons, 7 personal bags and car seat off the plane we were told actually it’s the same plane going to FLL. Gate agent told me he has no idea why we deplaned. $150 x 6 for compensation.

whats ur secret? how do u ask?

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: July 21, 2022, 09:06:34 AM »
whats ur secret? how do u ask?

I never request compensation for anything that is out of the airlines control such as bad weather or airplane traffic. I am very polite and direct with what went wrong and what I am requesting for it.

Offline nirc

• View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: July 21, 2022, 11:52:38 AM »
I never request compensation for anything that is out of the airlines control such as bad weather or airplane traffic. I am very polite and direct with what went wrong and what I am requesting for it.

so in this case, you asked for $150 pp?

maybe thats what i'm doing wrong.

Offline Divora M

• View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: July 21, 2022, 04:18:24 PM »
so in this case, you asked for $150 pp?

maybe thats what i'm doing wrong.

Feel free to PM me next time u want to request compensation and I’ll give u my opinion.

Offline E-MAN

• View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: July 22, 2022, 08:25:37 AM »
3 months and still no answer
Finally got a call from an AA rep who said they are going to be following the law and sending a check for NIS 3180 per person!!

Offline DealJew

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #4917 on: July 26, 2022, 07:21:54 AM »
Does anyone know how to get a response out of lufthansa? I filed a claim for 600 euro compensation for a flight delay as required by EU law. They replied that they would send it and asked for bank details which i gave them. Its now been over 6 weeks and i didnt hear back from then or receive any compensation...
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline Ploni3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4918 on: July 27, 2022, 05:13:43 AM »
Is the lufthanasa strike today going to exempt lufthansa from paying EU or Israeli comp for effected passengers?

Online yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: July 27, 2022, 06:09:38 AM »
Is the lufthanasa strike today going to exempt lufthansa from paying EU or Israeli comp for effected passengers?
I’ve gotten compensation from Transavia for a strike related cancellation. YMMV