Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1113005 times)

Offline Zalc

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4960 on: September 07, 2022, 12:02:29 PM »
My flight home from the eu (Kef) to NY was delayed by 5+ hours.
UA139
Does United rebook customers on other airlines?
There’s a delta flight leaving the same as the original time and they are saying they can’t rebook me as delta has not released and seats to them even though it’s available for purchase.

Is there other compensation that I’d be entitled to if I eventually took the delayed flight?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:15:21 PM by Zalc »

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #4961 on: September 08, 2022, 11:43:27 AM »
My flight home from the eu (Kef) to NY was delayed by 5+ hours.
UA139
Does United rebook customers on other airlines?
There’s a delta flight leaving the same as the original time and they are saying they can’t rebook me as delta has not released and seats to them even though it’s available for purchase.

Is there other compensation that I’d be entitled to if I eventually took the delayed flight?
Has anyone here successfully claimed compensation for a delay under EU law EC 261 from United airlines?

Anything to look out for?

Offline hr555

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: September 08, 2022, 02:34:36 PM »
Has anyone here successfully claimed compensation for a delay under EU law EC 261 from United airlines?

Yes. Last week. They responded within 4 days with a choice between a. $1000 United Travel Certificate , b. 50,000 miles or c. EUR600 per passenger. plus expenses.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: September 09, 2022, 09:28:18 AM »
Thanks!
What was the cause by you?
How did you reach out to them?

Offline ah giten

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: September 21, 2022, 04:20:16 PM »
LOT polish from RZE to EWR. Was diverted to JFK due to bad weather in EWR.

After landing and waiting for a gate for 45 minutes, pilot announced that the sky is cleared up and will be going back to EWR.

After refueling and waiting for a slot to take off,    we were finally en route to EWR.

We ended up landing almost 3 hours of scheduled arrival. And arrived at gate 8:56 pm. Over 3 hours later than schedule.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LOT17/history/20220919/1220Z/EPRZ/KJFK

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LOT17/history/20220919/1220Z/EPRZ/KEWR

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LOT17/history/20220919/2230Z/KJFK/KEWR

Question is, since the initial diversion was due to weather, will they get away with the EU compensation due to that, or since the repositioning from JFK to EWR was their decision, I should be covered?

I found this article interesting. The court defined "arrival" at the time the door opens, not touchdown. Making my delay over 3 hours.
https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/claim-guides/definition-of-arrival-time
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 04:33:05 PM by ah giten »

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #4965 on: October 07, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »
Relative was on a flight from TLV-JFK on AA (AA145 MOTSYK) They boarded the plane, and were deplaned an hour later and sent home. The flight was resecheduled for the next night at 7:15 PM and that was delayed by another 2 hours as well.

I know that they are entitled to the mandatory Israeli Compensation, but do they get more in this case, or just the 3000 NIS and thats it?

Offline BarryLincoln

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, National Executive, Hertz Five Star
« Reply #4966 on: October 07, 2022, 11:29:45 AM »
Relative was on a flight from TLV-JFK on AA (AA145 MOTSYK) They boarded the plane, and were deplaned an hour later and sent home. The flight was resecheduled for the next night at 7:15 PM and that was delayed by another 2 hours as well.

I know that they are entitled to the mandatory Israeli Compensation, but do they get more in this case, or just the 3000 NIS and thats it?
Had similar situation in the reverse direction with UA in February.  UA provided hotel vouchers for everyone that needed, meal vouchers, and the NIS3000.  I would think that they should cover incremental food/accommodations as a result of the delay...

Offline Ploni3

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: October 07, 2022, 04:59:11 PM »
Anyone have experience with fighting Lufthansa?  Because their workers went on strike passenger arrived 10 hrs late on tlv-frA-yyz original routing.  Per EU law strike by own staff does not qualify as exceptional circumstances and should be getting 600 EUR for complete journey.  Per Canadian and Israeli law it would be more but not clear if strike would exempt the airline.  I asked for highest amount which is Israeli law. Lufthansa is offering 400 EUR.  Trying to decide if I take it and be happy or push back. I don't have interest in going to court myself and bringing in an outside firm costs significantly.  I don't want to push too hard and have Lufthansa do an about face and just say we refuse your demand and will send nothing ie File closed.

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: October 19, 2022, 11:56:04 PM »
AA ticket TLV-LHR-US, first leg operated by BA, booked with a CSR. BA supervisor in TLV refused to tag our stroller to pick up at the gate in LHR since there were too many strollers (some families were able to get their strollers, it may have gone unnoticed by her). We had no choice but checking it in to the US, so we don’t have to go through immigration in London. We were with twin 18-month olds and a 3 year old, and when we tried arguing that it’ll be impossible to connect without a stroller, she assured us that Heathrow (or BA) has free strollers for passenger usage, which turned out to be a complete lie! We ended up shlepping our 3 toddlers between terminals, which was not fun, to say the least.
To top it all up, when we got to the US, we found our stroller totally destroyed (broken wheels, bent frame etc), which is most likely because it wasn’t handed at the gate.
I filed a claim with AA upon arrival, despite it likely not being their fault.
Where do I go from here? A. Regarding the damaged stroller, who do I claim from: AA, BA, Chase? B. Can I get anything from BA for their supervisor’s refusal, lie, and the inconvenience it caused us?
TIA

Offline yochai

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: October 24, 2022, 11:19:46 AM »
A friend was flying Swiss last night EWR-ZRH-TLV. Flight had a 50 minute connection and was delayed 40 minutes a few hours before the flight. I called their CS line 12 times to get rebooked and got responses ranging from hanging up to “only the airport desk is authorized to make changes”, and “the delay doesn’t appear in our system”. Having no other choice he went to the airport, where the manager strongly refused to rebook him on another flight, claiming “the plane will catch up in the air”, which was obviously false.
Upon arriving in Zurich, they claimed there’s no availability on a later flight that day, and he was rebooked to TLV 24 hours later! I’m not sure yet if he was provided with food and accommodations.
Is this considered normal? What are his rights in such cases?

Offline Agoldsc1

• View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: October 25, 2022, 12:09:26 PM »
AA flight JFK to MIA was delayed by 3+ hours in both directions. On way there, I got an email at 4am that my 9am flight was delayed, and I zoomed to the airport and managed to get standby on an earlier flight. On flight back, I got emails about my flight delay prior and managed to change it to a later flight before heading to airport. Do I have any claim for compensation or not since both times I managed to get into alternative flights (but with effort)?

Offline flyingace

• View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: October 25, 2022, 05:45:56 PM »
A friend was flying Swiss last night EWR-ZRH-TLV. Flight had a 50 minute connection and was delayed 40 minutes a few hours before the flight. I called their CS line 12 times to get rebooked and got responses ranging from hanging up to “only the airport desk is authorized to make changes”, and “the delay doesn’t appear in our system”. Having no other choice he went to the airport, where the manager strongly refused to rebook him on another flight, claiming “the plane will catch up in the air”, which was obviously false.
Upon arriving in Zurich, they claimed there’s no availability on a later flight that day, and he was rebooked to TLV 24 hours later! I’m not sure yet if he was provided with food and accommodations.
LH last night held the connection in MUC. Over 40 pax on the delayed flight out of EWR. Even the bags made it!

Offline KSMH

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: October 25, 2022, 06:00:01 PM »
On foreign carriers don't expect any better, would some agree its worth buying on a domestic carriers ticket stock such as UA ?
Always praying for delayed baggage.

Offline lazertek

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: delta gold medllion status alaska mvp marriott gold elite uber gold Hertz PC Aeoroplan silver National EE
« Reply #4973 on: October 26, 2022, 11:45:18 AM »
should be entitled to eu compensation plus food and accommodation expenses.
The only difference between a good day and a bad day is your attitude(:

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: October 26, 2022, 06:15:07 PM »
ITA changed a flight that was scheduled to depart at 9:50PM to 4:45PM a month in advance. The traveler is not looking for EU261 compensation, but rather wants either a refund or to be placed on a flight that departs closer to the original timing (they cannot leave work before 5PM, making a flight prior to 8PM impossible).

ITA is claiming that since it's more than 14 days from departure, they don't owe the traveler anything. Is this right? Shouldn't they be refunding the ticket for a change like this?

Offline donedeal12

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle
« Reply #4975 on: October 26, 2022, 06:56:09 PM »
Subpar Kosher Meal on AA First class

$50 travel voucher per passenger

Offline Zali

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: October 27, 2022, 04:09:49 PM »
UA 73 Aug 26
Delayed 8 hours and 45 minutes due to a mechanical issue
After a long email exchange, offered $1200 credit or 60000 miles along with regular Israeli compensation

Offline PBru22

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: October 28, 2022, 08:27:25 AM »
ITA changed a flight that was scheduled to depart at 9:50PM to 4:45PM a month in advance. The traveler is not looking for EU261 compensation, but rather wants either a refund or to be placed on a flight that departs closer to the original timing (they cannot leave work before 5PM, making a flight prior to 8PM impossible).

ITA is claiming that since it's more than 14 days from departure, they don't owe the traveler anything. Is this right? Shouldn't they be refunding the ticket for a change like this?

ECJ has ruled this equals a cancellation. So according to Art. 5 and Art. 8 of EU261, the passenger can choose between
- reimbursement of the ticket
- rerouting at the earliest opportunity
- rerouting at a later date, subject to availability

It is correct that ITA does not owe the traveler compensation, but they will have to rebook or reimburse the ticket.
If they keep on refusing, you can theoretically set a deadline (e.g. 10 days), afterwards you could buy another ticket at your own expenses (1st flight after the original departure time) and claim it back from ITA. That last procedure will be difficult in Italy. It would be much easier if the departure/destination is e.g. in Germany or Austria.

Offline cgr

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: October 29, 2022, 09:07:47 PM »
ECJ has ruled this equals a cancellation. So according to Art. 5 and Art. 8 of EU261, the passenger can choose between
- reimbursement of the ticket
- rerouting at the earliest opportunity
- rerouting at a later date, subject to availability

It is correct that ITA does not owe the traveler compensation, but they will have to rebook or reimburse the ticket.
If they keep on refusing, you can theoretically set a deadline (e.g. 10 days), afterwards you could buy another ticket at your own expenses (1st flight after the original departure time) and claim it back from ITA. That last procedure will be difficult in Italy. It would be much easier if the departure/destination is e.g. in Germany or Austria.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #4979 on: October 31, 2022, 11:17:06 AM »
AFAF: Should he expect anything from United after an emergency landing, plane change, and eventually landing 5 hours late?