Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098888 times)

Offline john

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United 1K
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #200 on: July 03, 2012, 05:05:14 PM »
We just traveled 5 of us (family) UA metal RNO->DEN->IAD. checked in 4 bags. received only 3. 1 is still not found yet. All 5 of us had flown on reward ticket on signle transactio. filed baggage lost report and have report confirmation number from UA. it is over 24 hours now, no call from them yet.
What is suggested next step. we were 5 of us. 1 bag lost so far.

lets assume, they find it and deliver it. What is reasonable compensation in miles to expect ? Should it be for all 5 of us or should be for only 1?

Offline john

• View Profile
  • Programs: United 1K
« Reply #201 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
We just traveled 5 of us (family) UA metal RNO->DEN->IAD. checked in 4 bags. received only 3. 1 is still not found yet. All 5 of us had flown on reward ticket on signle transactio. filed baggage lost report and have report confirmation number from UA. it is over 24 hours now, no call from them yet.

lets assume, they find it and deliver it. What is reasonable compensation in miles to expect ? Should it be for all 5 of us or should be for only 1?

Also what is best way? Call Customer Service or e-mail Customer care for making it up?

Offline al613

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 03, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
call 281-553-6362. Last time they lost 1 bag for 1 traveller for 10 hours they let me buy things for $200 to survive till its delivered. In you case, try to multiply it by 5. You buy first, then sent receipts, then get a check. Then ask for compensation for a goodwill voucher.

Offline jew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 06, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
flew on aa and 13 days later i still didnt receive one suitcase
filed a detailed report.... HOW DO I GET COMPENSATION FOR THE DELAY AND FOR PURCHASING THINGS THE PAST 2 WEEKS?

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:53 AM »
i already emailed a letter and after 2 weeks got a response along with 2 150$ vouchers
well i got an email back offering an additional 5k miles for each pass so not bad 150$ voucher+5k miles for each pass

Offline ringsher

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
No Kosher food
« Reply #205 on: July 10, 2012, 03:51:54 AM »
Flew AA, JFK - HND (Tokyo), w/ my wife. Confirmed multiple times by phone and received email confirming Kosher Food. Flew Business class, nevertheless once on the flight they tell me there was no record of our Kosher Food request. 14 hour flight!. I emailed customer relations through their system and I have not received a response, is there a phone number for AA customer relations? Has anyone else had this experience and how was it resolved?
Now I flew KIX - HNL through AA but Hawaiin Air, when I arrived at airport they say we have a record of Kosher meal request but it was not confirmed. Hawaiin Air blames AA for the mistake, AA blames Hawaiin, whose at fault and should compensate me?

Offline JEWDA

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2012, 11:25:55 PM »
Airline: AA
Flight: PHL-MIA
Class: Coach (award ticket)
Incident: Gum was left on wifes seat belt from flight before and got all over her shirt. (FA spent an hour removing gum).
Compensation: $75 e-voucher  :(
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline mordy44

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 17, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
Airline: Aeroflot
Flight: JFK-TLV Stop: Moscow
class: coach

It's been a week, they lost one of my bags. So far they've responded to every email, but I haven't asked for compensation yet. Anyone have any previous experience dealing with them?  Official policy is they begin talking compensation after 21 days..

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2012, 03:27:40 PM »
Airline: Delta
Flight: PHX-JFK
Class: coach (upgraded to Business Elite)

Wifey's flight was delayed for 2.5 hours due to mechanical problems with the plane. They were sent back to the gate twice during this delay.  She missed a very important business meeting due to the delay. Filed a complaint on Delta.com and received reply offering 7,500 skymiles (wifey is gold medallion). from your experience, is this sufficient compensation for such inconvenience? or should i ask them for more?

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2012, 06:43:10 PM »
Not bad compensation for wifey.

Offline TAVI

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2012, 09:27:48 PM »
Not bad compensation for wifey.

thank you, good to know.

The other part which i didn't mention earlier is that she was  upgraded to biz elite for this flight, but told me that the biz elite cabin only had 1 TV screen for all to share and the chairs werent  business elite at all as  there was no foot rest  or anything. seems really odd that they would classify such product as biz elite...

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 19, 2012, 09:07:43 AM »
Here’s the scenario:
Last night (Weds night) my daughter (16) was already checked in to fly on United from ORD –LGA.
Flight gets delayed then canceled due to weather.
Luggage already left (???) & is already in LGA. (I thought luggage can’t fly without a pass??)

United tells her that the EARLIEST they can rebook is Friday AM (almost two days later). She calls me crying that she cannot stay in the airport two days without a change of clothes (her luggage was already gone) and wants me to rebook a new flight.
I find a non-refundable seat on AA for $400 and book it. It leaves 7:00 this AM (Thursday – one day earlier).
One hour later, I get a call that they were able to get her on a United flight at the same time but flying to EWR instead of LGA.
I call AA & am told “Sorry, none refundable”. HUCA, same answer.

Question #1:  Should I have told her to fly United & try getting some sort of compensation from AA (or AMEX) for the flight not taken? Or, should she have taken the AA flight – already paid for – and then try to get some compensation from United (it was weather related – not their fault).

Question #2: I decided that she should take the AA flight, since it leaves a bit earlier & goes to LGA vs EWR. The AA flt ended on leaving on time & the new United flight (which she was already checked in, but didn’t fly) was delayed again for a few hours. What now? Can I request some sort of compensation? Can I try to get some of my AA ticket compensated? Can I complain about the fact that the luggage left without her causing me to make a second trip to the airport (different airport then the new booked ticked) to pick up the luggage? Can I request some compensation for the overnight accommodations & food if the delay wasn’t their fault? What if anything should/can I request for best results?

Any input is appreciated!

Offline Side incomer

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 19, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
Here’s the scenario:
Last night (Weds night) my daughter (16) was already checked in to fly on United from ORD –LGA.
Luggage already left (???) & is already in LGA. (I thought luggage can’t fly without a pass??)

United tells her that the EARLIEST they can rebook is Friday AM (almost two days later). She calls me crying that she cannot stay in the airport two days without a change of clothes (her luggage was already gone) and wants me to rebook a new flight.
I find a non-refundable seat on AA for $400 and book it. It leaves 7:00 this AM (Thursday – one day earlier).
One hour later, I get a call that they were able to get her on a United flight at the same time but flying to EWR instead of LGA.

Question #1:  Should I have told her to fly United & try getting some sort of compensation from AA (or AMEX) for the flight not taken? Or, should she have taken the AA flight – already paid for – and then try to get some compensation from United (it was weather related – not their fault).

Question #2: I decided that she should take the AA flight, since it leaves a bit earlier & goes to LGA vs EWR. The AA flt ended on leaving on time & the new United flight (which she was already checked in, but didn’t fly) was delayed again for a few hours. What now? Can I request some sort of compensation? Can I try to get some of my AA ticket compensated? Can I complain about the fact that the luggage left without her causing me to make a second trip to the airport (different airport then the new booked ticked) to pick up the luggage? Can I request some compensation for the overnight accommodations & food if the delay wasn’t their fault? What if anything should/can I request for best results?

Complain about everything.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 19, 2012, 09:31:16 PM »
Luggage can fly w/o the passenger on domestic flights
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 19, 2012, 10:12:52 PM »
Here’s the scenario:

She should have gone crying to United. Especially since she is considered a minor, they should have put her on any flight possible.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:32 AM »
Not sure who reads the thread, so I will omit some details.

On a UA award tix from a country @ war (asia) to the usa, pax couldn't check-in as flight (on turkish) was supposed to be reconfirmed 72h to departure. No one had told me this rule, and although there was physically space on the flight, since TK cancelled the tix, they had no way to rebook it.
Pax paid some $2k to get out of there.
Complaining to TK is a waste of time, as the words compensation, refund, etc don't seem to exist in turkish.
UA told me: we didn't cancel anything go to TK.
I said: I booked with ua, don't care about TK.
After lots of back and forth going over extended period of time, going to the highest levels, I got a $2k ecert.

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 20, 2012, 04:10:09 AM »
UA award one way, far east- europe.

UA cancelled flights because they thought miles were obtained in a fraudulent way.

I complained, and got $6k+ money back.

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 20, 2012, 04:18:27 AM »
I complained, and got $6k+ money back.
what does that mean, why $6k and which money back?

Offline outinstyle

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 20, 2012, 08:47:13 AM »
She should have gone crying to United. Especially since she is considered a minor, they should have put her on any flight possible.

She was part of a group of 30+ girls. They were all "crying". That is why I booked her on AA. That is also how they finally opened a flight on United the following AM.

Offline WhyAich

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #219 on: July 20, 2012, 09:03:45 AM »
what does that mean, why $6k and which money back?

EG pax that was on an award flight got cancelled so pax bought a $6k ticket, and then when arrived home called and complained why his ticket was cancelled and he was forced to buy a $6k ticket, and then pax was refunded charges he paid.
For great Airfare deals - PLEASE contact me via PM or email: whyaich@gmail.com