Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1099098 times)

Offline MoisheP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2012, 04:30:18 AM »
Hello all!

I am posting this from ATH, after a nightmare flight on US Air from PHL. The gentleman sitting next to me complained that his seat was dirty and asked for a new seat. I was great full forthe empty seat next to me until I realized thatthe dirt he was speaking of was in fact human feces! By the time I realized we were airborne already, there was no available seat to switch to. The FA handed me some garbage bags and told me to cover it up, it stunk the entire flight. To top it off my seat wouldn't recline, basically a flight from hell. In case you didn't catch it the first time the adjacent seat had human feces all over.

I have never flown US Air before, therefore I would appreciate any advice regarding who to contact, what to ask for, any contat info I.e. email addresses. I have a few pictures as well.

Thank you in advance!

Offline milzz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2012, 06:18:49 AM »
How do I get compensation for a flight canceled due to mechanical issues? They are not being very nice about it!

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »
Hello all!

I am posting this from ATH, after a nightmare flight on US Air from PHL. The gentleman sitting next to me complained that his seat was dirty and asked for a new seat. I was great full forthe empty seat next to me until I realized thatthe dirt he was speaking of was in fact human feces! By the time I realized we were airborne already, there was no available seat to switch to. The FA handed me some garbage bags and told me to cover it up, it stunk the entire flight. To top it off my seat wouldn't recline, basically a flight from hell. In case you didn't catch it the first time the adjacent seat had human feces all over.

I have never flown US Air before, therefore I would appreciate any advice regarding who to contact, what to ask for, any contat info I.e. email addresses. I have a few pictures as well.

Thank you in advance!

That's by leaps and bounds the nastiest thing I've ever heard of someone experiencing on a plane. You should definitely email them a complaint with pics and see where that takes you; personally I think that you should demand a free flight at the  least!

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
That's by leaps and bounds the nastiest thing I've ever heard of someone experiencing on a plane. You should definitely email them a complaint with pics and see where that takes you; personally I think that you should demand a free flight at the  least!

+1, that's definitely got to rank up there...

You'll definitely receive some sort of compensation. Keep us posted.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline ChasingTheDime

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2012, 11:02:22 AM »
Hello all!

Thank you in advance!

I would think this is something you can even threaten with a lawsuit unless you get fully compensated for the flight, ect.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
I would think this is something you can even threaten with a lawsuit unless you get fully compensated for the flight, ect.

Here we go again  ::)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Yossi.

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
I have a few pictures as well.
Spare us! ;D

Offline ChasingTheDime

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:29 AM »
Here we go again  ::)

i dont know

but when it crosses a line from just being dirty to being unsafe, i would expect there is a little more wiggle room

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
i dont know

but when it crosses a line from just being dirty to being unsafe, i would expect there is a little more wiggle room

^

And that's why this country is so trigger happy when it comes to lawsuits.

Offline ChasingTheDime

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:42 AM »
^

And that's why this country is so trigger happy when it comes to lawsuits.

never said its something i would do, just to use as more leverage for compensation

hell, if you have a friend/family who is a lawyer, have then make up a letter on fancy stationary for added effect  ::)

Offline Reb Moshe

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Turkish GOLD, Aegean GOLD, Hertz presidents circle, AVIS Presidents, Rav Kav Platinum, Hilton Gold
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
Seems like they dont really clean the planes too often IME.
You can Contact them here https://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewEmailFormAccess.do?eventName=customerRelations

In my case there was gum all over the seat and my wife got it all over her and they gave $75 e-voucher.

he said he flew USAir. not AA

Offline JEWDA

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 75
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Dansdeals PRESIDENTIAL Platinum Elite, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, Avis Presidents Club, King Fisher Silver, Hertz #1 Club President Circle Gold, SIXT Platinum, PC Platinum Elite
« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
he said he flew USAir. not AA
woops! Deleted.
Your Ad Can Be Here! PM For Lowest Rates.

Offline MoisheP

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2012, 03:36:24 AM »
+1, that's definitely got to rank up there...

You'll definitely receive some sort of compensation. Keep us posted.

I am back at ATH, I Haven't had time to contact the airline yet. When I checked in, I went to the ticketing desk and spoke to the US Air station head. Without even asking she upgraded me to Envoy. I had complained to her upon arrival of my "crappy" situation. She had gone to the plane, and was appalled by the conditions I had to endure for a 10 hour flight. She wrote a whole report on my record and urged me to contact the airline for further compensation.

I don't have a mileage account with US AIR, should I accept miles from them, or insist on a financial compensation? Is there anyway they will compensate me with United miles? How is their flight to TLV? If I get vouchers for free flights, is there any chance of them being in business?

I will keep you posted, and thanks for your help.

Offline PATTYPM83

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
In Aug. 2011 I booked a return flight from Paris to Newark using United miles. (the entire trip was from June 30-July 11).  My return to the US was booked on a Lufthansa flight-dep. CDG at 2:00pm.  I needed the later time as I was making a connection from Biarritz, my earliest possible arrival time at CDG would have been 10:00am. On June 21, 2012 I called Lufthansa to try to make seat reservations and was told that my orginal flight had been cancelled(I later learned it was cancelled on November 17, 2011) and that I had been rebooked on a flight at 9:00 am in the morning. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED ON THE CANCELLATION OR THE REBOOKING BY EITHER AIRLINE.  I explained that I was unable to make the flight and was told to call United to rebook. When I tried to rebook on later flights(but closer in time to my orginal flight), that had availability, I was denied.   I was told by my "customer service" rep that despite having availability on later flights that they would not rebook me on those flights  as there was no freq. flyer designated seats, therefore to get on a later flight on July 11 I would have had to  cancel, rebook  and pay $3000.00/person for a coach class ticket(the going rate on that day).   When I argued with her she explained to me that why should United give away a free seat on these flights when they could charge for the flight.  4 hours later my only recourse was to rebook the flight for the next day(at first they had availability then they did not finally after staying up until 2:00am in the morning I was able to find a flight) and then they had the nerve to charge me 150.00 change fee!
I filed numerous complaints with both Luft., United and DOT siting the fact that under the EC 261 I am entitled to compensation based upon their collective failure to notify me of the change.  Both airlines declined indicating since I had called I was notified.  The change cost us a day off from work without pay, plus hotel and meals not to mention the 150.00 change fee as well as transfer fees that I had already booked and paid for. United has offered to refund the 150.00 change fee but I already disputed that with my credit card.  Art 5 of the EC 261 is the provision that governs cancellation and notification. Under the "Whereas" provisions specifically section 12 it states, "The trouble and inconvenicence to passengers caused by cancellation of flights should be reduced.  This is achieved by inducing carriers to inform passengers of cancellations before the scheduled time....Air carriers should compensate passengers if they fail to do this."  Perhaps Im splitting hairs but  I am reading this to mean that airlines have an affirmative duty to notify passengers of cancellations, the duty is NOT on the passenger.  The fact that I called should not obviate the airlines responsibility to notify me....
Has anyone had a similar problem and has anyone ever been successful in enforcing this provision based upon the above facts.  I am thinking of taking both airlines to small claims as the compensations is the $$ equivalent of 600 Euro per person.  opinions???   Thanks.

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 15, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
I am back at ATH, I Haven't had time to contact the airline yet. When I checked in, I went to the ticketing desk and spoke to the US Air station head. Without even asking she upgraded me to Envoy. I had complained to her upon arrival of my "crappy" situation. She had gone to the plane, and was appalled by the conditions I had to endure for a 10 hour flight. She wrote a whole report on my record and urged me to contact the airline for further compensation.

I don't have a mileage account with US AIR, should I accept miles from them, or insist on a financial compensation? Is there anyway they will compensate me with United miles? How is their flight to TLV? If I get vouchers for free flights, is there any chance of them being in business?

I will keep you posted, and thanks for your help.

Here is a response I received from US Airways regarding the "crappy" flight I had PHL-ATH; The way I see it, they are brushing me off. Any advice?

"Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at US Airways. We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your concerns.

The Customer Relations Office responds on behalf of our Corporate Officers. Our office is not only empowered to respond to the needs and concerns of our customers on their behalf, but also shares those comments with the appropriate management teams. This method has proven very successful; in fact, many of our current policies, procedures, and positive changes are a direct result of customer feedback.

I’m sorry the seat next to you was not properly cleaned before the departure of your flight to Athens. Our passenger’s safety and comfort are important to US. I’ve shared your comments with our Inflight Service Department for internal review.

Based on your comments, we could have done a better job of assisting you, and I assure you the necessary steps will be taken to help prevent a recurrence. We know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling, and we thank you for choosing US Airways.

Sincerely,

Kevin Ung
Representative, Customer Relations
US Airways Corporate Office"

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
Tweet, write an EECB and write to the Consumerist, they'll eat it up.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »
Here is a response I received from US Airways regarding the "crappy" flight I had PHL-ATH; The way I see it, they are brushing me off. Any advice?

"Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at US Airways. We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your concerns.

The Customer Relations Office responds on behalf of our Corporate Officers. Our office is not only empowered to respond to the needs and concerns of our customers on their behalf, but also shares those comments with the appropriate management teams. This method has proven very successful; in fact, many of our current policies, procedures, and positive changes are a direct result of customer feedback.

I’m sorry the seat next to you was not properly cleaned before the departure of your flight to Athens. Our passenger’s safety and comfort are important to US. I’ve shared your comments with our Inflight Service Department for internal review.

Based on your comments, we could have done a better job of assisting you, and I assure you the necessary steps will be taken to help prevent a recurrence. We know that you have many choices when it comes to traveling, and we thank you for choosing US Airways.

Sincerely,

Kevin Ung
Representative, Customer Relations
US Airways Corporate Office"

This is the email I sent to Kevin Parker, the CEO at US Air, I also sent this through their website comment/complain link.

"Dear Mr. Parker,

I flew on flight 758 from PHL-ATH on 8/8/2012. I was originally seated in seat 15A, there was a couple seated in front of me that wanted to switch seats to sit next to each other. Being that I was traveling alone I agreed. They said that one of the seats were dirty, however the window seat was clean. I sat on the clean seat and all was well until I started noticing a really bad smell from the empty seat next to me. I looked and realized that it was covered in human feces. I immediately notified the flight attendant, who told me that she was aware of it, and that she had  asked the ground crew to clean it before they departed but it did not get done. The crew knew that there was feces on the seat and they knowingly seated me next to it. Besides being extremely  unpleasant, it is a serious health risk. How was a plane able to take off with those conditions? One flight attendant offered me gloves and asked me to clean it!!!! That is absurd!!! They said there were no available seats to switch to, so they gave me a plastic bag to cover the seat. I spent 10 hours in hell, I was cringing and holding my nose the entire flight, I am still traumatized!!!! The crew knew about this. The crew knowingly allowed me to sit there. The crew offered me gloves and asked me to clean it. The crew refused to clean it during the flight. The crew refused to switch my seat. I am appalled at the level of service. I spoke to Valerie in Athens, she is the station manager. She went to the plane and saw the feces, she told me that it was so disgusting, and could not believe I had to suffer through that. I have several pictures as well that i can send if you would like. I would like to speak to someone with the authority  to discuss compensation with me. This is an urgent matter as I am extremely upset, and traumatized from my experience. Aside from this glaring issue, my seat wouldn't recline as the mechanism was broken, and the overhead light did not work. I felt as if I was in a third world prison being tortured for the duration of the flight. 

Regards,
Moshe"

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »
Tweet, write an EECB and write to the Consumerist, they'll eat it up.

I should Tweet what happened? I am trying to afford them the courtesy of solving this without airing their "dirty laundry".

Edit; I have prepared a EECB but thought I should first try the "normal" channels. i.e. going through the website complaint link. Does anyone have a contact at The Consumerist that I can get in touch with?

Should I threaten to Tweet, contact The Consumerist and other media outlets first, or just go ahead and do it? My thoughts are, once I let the cat out of the bag, they have no reason to compensate me. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:28:24 AM by MosheP »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
Def a brush off. Unreal.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
Def a brush off. Unreal.

Yup, USeless offers a cr@ppy (pun) customer experience.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael