Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098577 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
1) Try to avoid using exclamation marks (especially 11 of them) in letters like that. It tends to detract from your argument rather than enhance it. Your facts are such that you don't need 'em anyway.

2) I would definitely not tweet or contact consumerist yet. I'd give them a chance to rectify it before then. I would, however, consider an EECB, at least to the office of the president.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MosheP

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2012, 01:33:56 PM »
1) Try to avoid using exclamation marks (especially 11 of them) in letters like that. It tends to detract from your argument rather than enhance it. Your facts are such that you don't need 'em anyway.

2) I would definitely not tweet or contact consumerist yet. I'd give them a chance to rectify it before then. I would, however, consider an EECB, at least to the office of the president.

I took your advice, removed 9 of the ! and sent off a EECB to a selection of the corporate officers including the CEO, various Presidents, VP's and executive officers.

I also included the "non"response I received from their complaint department.

What is the minimum I should demand as compensation?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »
Good question. I'd wait to see what they come back with before considering that.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2012, 01:39:01 PM »
Good question. I'd wait to see what they come back with before considering that.

Thank you for your thoughts/advice. I will keep you all posted.

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2012, 03:46:38 PM »
On the phone with the presidents office now, they called in response to my email holding to see what they will offer as compensation. What is the minimum i should accept?

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »
They are saying the the upgrade on the return to business was compensation. I said at minimum I would require a refund for the ticket $1,300. They came back with an offer to refund the outbound portion, approx $550. Should I accept?

Dan? AJK? Anyone else? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:19:37 PM by MosheP »

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »
They are saying the the upgrade on the return to business was compensation. I said at minimum I would require a refund for the ticket $1,300. They came back with an offer to refund the outbound portion, approx $550. Should I accept?

Dan? AJK? Anyone else? Thoughts?
Seems fair to me. Upgrade to envoy and money back. Maybe try to meet them in the middle ($900)
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 15, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
What would you reasonably be happy with? Only you know that.

I would say anything more than a refund of that portion of the flight + upgrade to business on the way back (and maybe a little more) is gravy.

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »

I would say anything more than a refund of that portion of the flight + upgrade to business on the way back (and maybe a little more) is gravy.
My thoughts exactly, but then again this was a really bad situation
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 15, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
My thoughts exactly, but then again this was a really bad situation

I will be happy with 2 vouchers anywhere US Airways flies in Business Class. However I  don't beleive I will get that, and I don't have any sound logic to offer as to why I should receive 2 vouchers. The problem with a refund is that the ticket was booked and paid for by my company and I will have a hard time getting money back from them in the event of a credit back to their credit card.

Will they be able to refund my personal card if it wasn't paid for with that card? I can say I lost my credit card while traveling..........

I'm not sure what to do. I know they are willing to deal bec the COO's PA Called me, asked me to hold and conferred with her boss for a few minuets.

Should I threaten to take this to twitter, the economist and all over FT, DDF, TripAdvisor if they don't increase the offer? Or is that giving a finger asking for a hand, asking for too much?

Offline sky121

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 15, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »
I will be happy with 2 vouchers anywhere US Airways flies in Business Class. However I  don't beleive I will get that, and I don't have any sound logic to offer as to why I should receive 2 vouchers. The problem with a refund is that the ticket was booked and paid for by my company and I will have a hard time getting money back from them in the event of a credit back to their credit card.

Will they be able to refund my personal card if it wasn't paid for with that card? I can say I lost my credit card while traveling..........

I'm not sure what to do. I know they are willing to deal bec the COO's PA Called me, asked me to hold and conferred with her boss for a few minuets.

Should I threaten to take this to twitter, the economist and all over FT, DDF, TripAdvisor if they don't increase the offer? Or is that giving a finger asking for a hand, asking for too much?

Can't they refund you the money by means of a Voucher?
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 15, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »

Can't they refund you the money by means of a Voucher?

That would be a voucher not a refund. I would be committed to flying them in the future, and $1,300 voucher costs them a few hundred at worst, while a refund costs them the whole thing.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 15, 2012, 10:57:40 PM »
That would be a voucher not a refund. I would be committed to flying them in the future, and $1,300 voucher costs them a few hundred at worst, while a refund costs them the whole thing.

While it may be preferable to getting the money back a voucher in the same amount isn't half bad if you ever plan to fly with them again and you're NOT going to see the refund if it's done back to the CC.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
If you can get them to give you a voucher for the full amount of $1,300 that would be a lot better than a refund of half!

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #274 on: August 15, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »
what is a good number to call delta to complain?

Offline daganster

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #275 on: August 16, 2012, 12:22:22 AM »

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 16, 2012, 12:24:32 AM »

You're not being greedy for asking for 2 vouchers. You should ask for a refund for the entire trip in airline credits, an upgrade on the return and at least 1 free ticket in business/first anywhere they fly as compensation and dont budge.

Offline joeb1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #277 on: August 16, 2012, 01:15:41 AM »

Offline daganster

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 16, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
are they good with their responses?
Delta has compensated me fairly in the past in a few incidents.

Offline brytch

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 16, 2012, 09:01:55 AM »
For the second time this month flew business with United and they didn't have my kosher meal. First time was from ICN to SFO and now from FRA - ORD..

First time they gave me an appreciation card which I couldn't get to work so I emailed them and got 10k miles. This time the appreciation card works offering me 7k or $150 voucher..

What do you think? fair?