Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098651 times)

Offline sruly101

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #520 on: January 01, 2013, 07:49:44 AM »
i was on a ba flight from jfk to lhr & was served a frozen kosher meal that was two weeks after the sell by date, i wrote to them & this is the email they sent in response;
dear efflpetzel,
Thank you for your email.  My apologies on the delay in response to your concerns.
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your meal on your British Airways flight.  The food we serve on our flights is an important aspect of the British Airways service - which is exactly why we offer advance booking for special meals.  I do apologize for letting you down this time.  I am sending your comments to our catering team - I know they will share my concern. 
We take pride in our standards of service, and this certainly includes courteous and helpful staff.   I understand the concerns of our cabin crew for the safety of all our passengers including your infant, but the manner in which this subject was handled does not appear to be acceptable.  Due to the behavior you describe a report has gone straight to the line manager of the cabin crew in question.
By way of an apology and as a gesture of goodwill I have added 5,000 Avios to your Blue Executive Club account.  Please accept them with my compliments.  Subject to availability, you can put your Avios towards future bookings, or use them to upgrade your travel class when you fly with us again.  For further information, please visit ba.com/executiveclub.
Although we can not change your experience we hope you will accept our apology and allow us to welcome you on a British Airways flight in the near future.
Sincerely
Steve Demeter
British Airways Customer Relations;

the question is should i accept it or should i ask for more as it was a family of three?
What do u mean if to accept it? u got it they wont give something in exchange cuz u dont like it

Offline sruly101

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
What it the lately experience with swiss? sent them a letter a few weeks ago and no respond yet

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 20, 2013, 05:49:04 PM »
Airline: Brussels (United Award)
Flight: BRU-JFK
Class: b.Business
Incident: Was told I could only take one check in bag per person and had to pack my second bag all into my first to avoid charges.
Compensation: 5000 MileagePlus miles

Offline U-no-me!

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 20, 2013, 05:55:03 PM »
Airline: Brussels (United Award)
Flight: BRU-JFK
Class: b.Business
Incident: Was told I could only take one check in bag per person and had to pack my second bag all into my first to avoid charges.
Compensation: 5000 MileagePlus miles

So what exactly was the incident?
Vote U-no-me '14!

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 20, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »
he explained.

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: January 21, 2013, 04:14:11 PM »

United allows two bags on business. As does Brussels. Since their computer showed only one bag allowed they couldn't go around it.

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: January 30, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »
my sister is in florida and her flight (american airlines) back to ny tonight was cancelled due to weather. any way she can get hotel vouchers from them?

Offline mclovin

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: January 30, 2013, 08:03:50 PM »
my sister is in florida and her flight (american airlines) back to ny tonight was cancelled due to weather. any way she can get hotel vouchers from them?
story gets better. her flight wasnt actually cancelled but for some reason when she called up they told her it is and put her on flight next day. she found out to late to do anything about it

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:06 AM »
Airline: Delta (Revenue)
Flight: TLV-JFK
Class: Economy
Incident:  Flight scheduled for Friday AM was postponed 16 hours, passenger rerouted on Sunday via BRU (5 hour stopover).
Compensation: 10k SkyMiles + check from Delta for $806 (original ticket as $590 glitch fare), nice!

Compensation email made reference to entitlements under some Israeli aviation law.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:58:09 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline yare

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 31, 2013, 03:51:12 AM »
Incident:  Flight scheduled for Friday AM was postponed 16 hours, passenger rerouted on Sunday via BRU (5 hour stopover).
Compensation: 10k SkyMiles

Seems like the standard offer (what people get when they don't receive their KSML) and pax should be asking for more. What do you think is reasonable?
why was the flight delayed 16 hours?   deltas fault?    it could be the pax is entitled to some real compensation as per israels aviation law

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/legal/passenger_rights_israel.pdf
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:54:16 AM by yare »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: January 31, 2013, 03:59:55 AM »
why was the flight delayed 16 hours?   deltas fault?    it could be the pax is entitled to some real compensation as per israels aviation law

http://www.delta.com/content/dam/delta-www/pdfs/legal/passenger_rights_israel.pdf

I edited my post.

It was due to a mechanical issue, once that issue was fixed it was too late to take off (after 2am), and once 5am came the crew's union (or other legal) shift rules (or law) would be violated.

Pax entitled to more compensation than the $806 they offered?

ETA: Looks like compensation offered by Delta is 3,000 NIS, but nothing (besides for the 10k) for not providing food, communication or accommodations etc. But considering the ticket only cost $590, I think pax will be satisfied.

This new law is cool :D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:05:29 AM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Drago

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:48 AM »
Airline: El Al (operated by Iberia)
Flight: TLV-MAD
Incident:  Had an aisle seat. Lady requested to sit there since she was sick, and I acceded. She then didn't want me sitting next to her, since she felt claustrophobic. I requested from steward to give me an exit row seat or bulkhead seat, since I'm 6'5. They refused w/o my paying, and stuck me in the back btw some larger men in a middle seat.
Compensation: $100 LY voucher (w/ various restrictions)

Best I can do?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #532 on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:40 AM »
Airline: El Al (operated by Iberia)
Flight: TLV-MAD
Incident:  Had an aisle seat. Lady requested to sit there since she was sick, and I acceded. She then didn't want me sitting next to her, since she felt claustrophobic. I requested from steward to give me an exit row seat or bulkhead seat, since I'm 6'5. They refused w/o my paying, and stuck me in the back btw some larger men in a middle seat.
Compensation: $100 LY voucher (w/ various restrictions)

Best I can do?

Wait, the lady requested you get out of YOUR aisle seat, which you graciously did, and then requested you NOT sit in the seat next to her because she felt claustrophobic?   :o
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:35 PM »
Wait, the lady requested you get out of YOUR aisle seat, which you graciously did, and then requested you NOT sit in the seat next to her because she felt claustrophobic?   :o
yup...
and her friend was sitting in the window seat, so they had the middle seat empty btw them

i'm a pushover when s/o asks me for s/t with those puppy eyes

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #534 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:04 PM »
yup...
and her friend was sitting in the window seat, so they had the middle seat empty btw them

I'd have told her to get the FA/GA to upgrade you or have her ask to be reseated elsewhere/
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »
I'd have told her to get the FA/GA to upgrade you or have her ask to be reseated elsewhere/
I'd have told her FU
Welcome to Israel.
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »
yup...

Understatement of the century.

I'm not sure which is worse Dan not disputing or posting about the extra tip or you giving up your seat!

I'd have told her FU

FU? or FO? :)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Drago

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
The lady had even told the FA about her request, since when I got to the seat, she was already sitting there. I asked, s/what jokingly for a biz upgrade, and then simply requested a seat with some leg space.

I'd have told her FU
I'm not yet Israeli enough.
And she was sniffling and coughing, and had those wide eyes...

Offline mod

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Flew to Israel from JFK last week with stopover in Paris (thanks to Dan). We were delayed in France for 4 additional hours (2.5 of which were on the plane as we had to wait on line for de-icing). Then when we landed in TLV at 1 AM (instead of 8 PM) my luggage never showed. Took an additional 36 hours to finally get all my luggage. We are 6 people and had to waste 1.5 days of our week trip in Israel buying clothes, diapers, toiletries and waiting for luggage.
Aside from the expenses we incurred, what else should I ask for?

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: January 31, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »
Compensation: 10k SkyMiles + check from Delta for $806 (original ticket as $590 glitch fare), nice!

Compensation email made reference to entitlements under some Israeli aviation law.
yup flight was last week, had tons of Chareidi passengers, they didn't mention a word about their rights....