Topic Wiki

Issue with a flight to/from an EU country, make sure to check this link: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Please post contact info for each airline:
AA-
Alitalia-
Airfrance-
Delta-
ElAl-
Iberia-
Lufthansa-
United-
WOW-

Author Topic: Airline Compensation Master Thread  (Read 1098783 times)

Offline Neil

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Compensation Master Thread
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2013, 09:22:41 PM »
This is a bit long, sorry, but bare with me.. Some thing pretty crazy happened to my wife this week. Her best friend was getting married in Montreal yesterday and we had booked a last minute flight from NYC to Montreal yesterday morning at 930 am for 335 pm flight. The flight was reserved with UA miles and she was scheduled to leave on an air canada flight for 335 and we had a confirmation number. She got to the airport an hour before the flight and goes to the ticket counter to receive her ticket and told the guy behind the counter that her best friend was getting married in Montreal and would like her boarding pass printed. The obnoxious guy behind the counter lashed out at my wife and said "If she was really your best friend then would you would have showed up earlier" My wife broke down crying on the spot. That was part 1. It turns out that they couldnt print her a boarding pass because the eticket wasn't ever issued. So we had a confirmation number and a reservation but no ticket was issued? The guy said he couldnt do anything for her other than cancel the reservation. They couldnt even get her on the next flight because it was all booked. She missed the flight and the wedding and was miserable. I am absolutely disgusted at both United for this horrible mess up and Air canada for their insensitive and despicable customer service. What can/ should I ask for as far as compensation from both air canada and United?
Thanks!   

Offline daganster

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
« Reply #561 on: March 04, 2013, 11:50:17 PM »
Yup. But I forgot to get her name, learned my lesson, always get names. If they can't handle the pressure they shouldnt be doing these flights.
You should get their name and complain, although sadly enough it seems like UA doesn't care much IME.

Offline Flybiz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2013, 01:57:33 PM »
On a KLM flight recently, while the steward was serving meals there was no way for me to get to the rear of the plane to use  the restroom for economy class, so I asked if I could use the business class restrooms and he said I could.

As I'm waiting to use the occupied restroom in business another stewardess notices me and scoldingly says to me you don;t belong here, I tell her I got permission and she responds "oh really?!" I said I did and she walks off. A dew moments later, she tells me rudely, don't you know you are in our way here maybe move out of way. 

Should I bother sending this to KLM? Can I expect to receive any sort of compensation?

Thanks

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
The way around them when they're serving food is to slide into a row and have them backup the cart for you to get by.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline L'Chaim

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
The way around them when they're serving food is to slide into a row and have them backup the cart for you to get by.

He was waiting by the bathroom and I assume she didn't really say it because he was in the way.  ::)

Offline Flybiz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2013, 02:37:54 PM »
He was waiting by the bathroom and I assume she didn't really say it because he was in the way.  ::)

Maybe they didn't like the look of my yarmulka ???

Offline L'Chaim

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 07, 2013, 02:42:12 PM »
Maybe they didn't like the look of my yarmulka ???

Why? What yarmulka do you wear?  :P

Offline Flybiz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:42 PM »
Why? What yarmulka do you wear?  :P

lol it happens to be solid black . Could be she didn't like the color  :)

Offline L'Chaim

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 07, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
lol it happens to be solid black . Could be she didn't like the color  :)
Racist?!  :o You should definitely report ;D :P

Offline Flybiz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 07, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
Racist?!  :o You should definitely report ;D :P

;D What do you think I can expect other than a generic apology? 

I guess it doesn't hurt to try

Offline zalman123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: March 07, 2013, 03:05:04 PM »
Does Turkish Airline give anything for Delayed luggage?

Offline juiciness

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2013, 04:54:32 PM »
i just flew an american flight bought on priceline and it was cancelled due to weather and the new flight was delayed for an hour and a half while we were on the plane due to broken brakes. how do i ask for a comp?

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:25 PM »
i just flew an american flight bought on priceline and it was cancelled due to weather and the new flight was delayed for an hour and a half while we were on the plane due to broken brakes. how do i ask for a comp?

Contact American-
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline juiciness

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 10, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »
Contact American-

they dont even sent a confirmation that they received an email.

if i call what department do i speak to.

Offline meshugener

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 14, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
This is a bit long, sorry, but bare with me.. Some thing pretty crazy happened to my wife this week. Her best friend was getting married in Montreal yesterday and we had booked a last minute flight from NYC to Montreal yesterday morning at 930 am for 335 pm flight. The flight was reserved with UA miles and she was scheduled to leave on an air canada flight for 335 and we had a confirmation number. She got to the airport an hour before the flight and goes to the ticket counter to receive her ticket and told the guy behind the counter that her best friend was getting married in Montreal and would like her boarding pass printed. The obnoxious guy behind the counter lashed out at my wife and said "If she was really your best friend then would you would have showed up earlier" My wife broke down crying on the spot. That was part 1. It turns out that they couldnt print her a boarding pass because the eticket wasn't ever issued. So we had a confirmation number and a reservation but no ticket was issued? The guy said he couldnt do anything for her other than cancel the reservation. They couldnt even get her on the next flight because it was all booked. She missed the flight and the wedding and was miserable. I am absolutely disgusted at both United for this horrible mess up and Air canada for their insensitive and despicable customer service. What can/ should I ask for as far as compensation from both air canada and United?
Thanks!   
Just a tip, if you split what you write into paragraphs more ppl would read what you have to say. Did you email UA? I would ask them for more than the regular compensation due to the mess and frustration. This has nothing to do with her showing up late to the airport.
I would contact them both and try to get good vouchers from both of them.

Did they refund the miles you paid for the ticket yet?

Offline Flybiz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 15, 2013, 01:21:40 PM »
On a KLM flight recently, while the steward was serving meals there was no way for me to get to the rear of the plane to use  the restroom for economy class, so I asked if I could use the business class restrooms and he said I could.

As I'm waiting to use the occupied restroom in business another stewardess notices me and scoldingly says to me you don;t belong here, I tell her I got permission and she responds "oh really?!" I said I did and she walks off. A dew moments later, she tells me rudely, don't you know you are in our way here maybe move out of way. 

Should I bother sending this to KLM? Can I expect to receive any sort of compensation?

Thanks

Just to follow-up, I received $100 travel voucher :)

Offline Neil

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 17, 2013, 10:28:35 PM »
Just a tip, if you split what you write into paragraphs more ppl would read what you have to say. Did you email UA? I would ask them for more than the regular compensation due to the mess and frustration. This has nothing to do with her showing up late to the airport.
I would contact them both and try to get good vouchers from both of them.

Did they refund the miles you paid for the ticket yet?
Thanks for the tip- The miles were never officially used because at the airport when they realized that she couldn't get on the flight they cancelled the reservation for her..

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2013, 11:27:14 PM »
Airline: American
Flight: LHR to ORD
Class: Business, using e-vip upgrade
Incident:  Individual reading light would keep going out about every few minutes or so every now or then.
Compensation: $125 certificate.

Why do they even offer those 5,000 miles first, how many people actually take the miles without asking first if they can get a certificate instead?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline gunit770

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 18, 2013, 06:33:54 AM »
Airline: American
Flight: LHR to ORD
Class: Business, using e-vip upgrade
Incident:  Individual reading light would keep going out about every few minutes or so every now or then.
Compensation: $125 certificate.

Why do they even offer those 5,000 miles first, how many people actually take the miles without asking first if they can get a certificate instead?

Almost everybody I know in the points and miles world:
1. Miles don't expire (if you have account activity).
2. Those certificates can't be used to pay taxes and fees on award travel.
3. I only fly award flights.